The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 6, 2010, 08:10 AM   #26
thesheepdog

Isn't the Ruger M44 carbine, a bored out M1 carbine?
Old July 6, 2010, 10:33 AM   #27
PetahW

No, thesheepdog, they only look alike/cosmetically - because the designer was said to have wanted to replicate as close as possible the handling of the M1 Carbine.

The M1 Carbine, and Ruger's Auto Carbine are entirely different designs, though - with the .Ruger designed totally around feeding/shooting a .44 jacketed 240gr bullet.

BTW - The M1 had a detachable (clip ?) magazine, while the Old Model Ruger .44 Carbine had a tube magazine.

It was only with the later Deerfield .44, based on Ruger's Mini-14, that Ruger used a detachable - but rotary, of course - magazine.

Old July 6, 2010, 10:40 AM   #28
thesheepdog

Interesting.

Yeah i was curious, because the M1 and the deerfield look so much alike.
Old July 6, 2010, 11:57 AM   #29
slowr1der

I wouldn't get rid of the Ruger in that trade. The reason why I say this is I see you said your son shot his first hog with this rifle. To me that is something your son may someday want to have. If you sell or trade it he won't have the chance to ever own the rifle he shot his first hog with. I don't know about with hog hunters, but I know a few deer hunters that have the rifles they shot their first deer with, and they all are very proud of them. Seeing how much they like the rifles they got their first deer with makes me think I'd keep that rifle for my son if it was me.
Old July 11, 2010, 10:48 PM   #30
OttoJara

I talked to my son about that and he said he isn't that attached to the rifle, just the memories. The trade didn't go through and I would take nothing less then $500.00 for it.

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old August 23, 2010, 09:00 AM   #31
stegar1

what would be a good price to sell one for?

i have one i am thinking of parting with. i got it for a steal, have never seen one at any of the shows. not sure what i should ask for it. it has had only about 40 rounds fired. any sugestions ?
Old August 23, 2010, 10:04 PM   #32
dundonrl

I had one of those, and it was my 1st hunting rifle.. If I remember correctly seeing an advertisement for it, Ruger called it the Deerstalker.. great little gun, but if you shot 44 Specials in it, you had to cycle the action manually..
Old August 23, 2010, 10:59 PM   #33
BIG P

+1 get it fun/handy
Old June 16, 2013, 06:29 PM   #34
cHanks

Ruger M44 Carbine

I don't know about any DeerFIELD carbines made by Sturm Ruger Arms but a friend of mine from Monroe Tennessee who I worked with in the Navy bought a Ruger semi-auto .44 magnum carbine for about $250 new ( course this was back in 1976-77) but his was called a DeerSLAYER carbine.
Some of the posts I've been reading about accuracy are probably correct. Mac's Ruger .44 mag was scoped & accurate up to 100 yards and maybe a bit more consistently. He mostly shot 240 grain ammo which was enough to blow the tops off of big wood fence posts, and for a big magnum the kick wasn't that objectionable, but it kept loosening the scope mount screws to the receiver!!
All I know is I sure wouldn't want to be shot with one cause with hollow points it'd probably blow a person right off their feet.
Old June 17, 2013, 02:51 AM   #35
natman

Quote:
I don't know about any DeerFIELD carbines made by Sturm Ruger Arms but a friend of mine from Monroe Tennessee who I worked with in the Navy bought a Ruger semi-auto .44 magnum carbine for about $250 new ( course this was back in 1976-77) but his was called a DeerSLAYER carbine.
The original Ruger 44 Magnum carbines were called "Deerstalker". Ithaca objected that this was too similar to their "Deerslayer" shotgun, so Ruger dropped the name.

It's a different rifle than the later Ruger "Deerfield".
Old June 17, 2013, 08:26 AM   #36
giaquir

Great rifle-I have one made in '71 and
it's a great deer gun.I installed a 2x
scope and it's a pleasure to carry.
you certainly won't be disappointed.
If you find the gun isn't cycling right with your
favorite load,there is a gas adjustment screw
on the "gas block".
ron
Old June 17, 2013, 01:27 PM   #37
PetahW

FWIW, the first .44 mag autoloading rifles were (as posted) tubular magazine "Deerstalkers", but the moniker was dropped after Ithaca brought suit, and changed to simply ".44 Auto Carbine" until discontinuance in 1985.

The very earliest Deerstalker's (ca.1961) had built-in receiver peep sights (as in: the side of the receiver was dovetailed for the sight slide).
In the mid-late 60's two additional models were made: the full-stocked (mannlicher) International (RSI), and a half-stocked Sporter with a finger-grooved forend. (some VERY few of both were factory checkered, as designated by an "X" in their model number)

In 1999, Ruger introduced a new detachable rotary magazine .44 Mag autoloading carbine version of their popular .223 Mini-14, called the Model 99/44 Deerfield Carbine, which also was dicontinued around 2006 (IIRC).

This is the .44 Carbine with the plastic handguard atop the bbl rear, to protect the shooter's hand from the operating rod. (The older Carbine's operating rod was inside the forend)

Due to the gas-operating system on both models, do not shoot lead boolits through them, unless you're a masochist who likes to completely take apart the gas cylinder for serious de-leading (or don't mind the .44 becoming a single-shot rifle).

Last edited by PetahW; June 17, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old June 22, 2013, 09:24 AM   #38
Jack O'Conner

Ruger's 44MAG auto-loader has a long history of flawless operation and very good accurasy for typical woods distances.

Jack
Old June 22, 2013, 11:27 PM   #39
mxsailor803

Mine is the newer Deerfield 99/44 and the ONLY complaint I have about it is I can't shoot cast bullets. I can live with that though.