The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2013, 06:20 PM   #1
FLChinook

Do Case Media Separators Work w/ Rifle?

I'm using a Cabala's media sieve and finding it takes about 5 seconds to tap the media out of each .257 Weatherby Mag casing. Ok, that's 12/minute and roughly 5 minutes per 50 rounds.

Not a big deal but, in the constant search for Nirvana, I'm wondering if a media separator like the Dillon's would actually take the media out of a large-rifle-small-neck casing like mine any faster.

I suspect since I'm only doing such a small number each time, the delta would be small. If I were cleaning 200 cases each time, maybe a justifiable difference.

Any thoughts?

Two other questions:

1. Does media absorb moisture from the air if left in an open container? Should I dump it out of the 5-gal container I sift it into each time and put it in a sealable bag?

2. How often do you guys add NuFinish to your media? A capful every 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 times?

Many thanks
Old May 5, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2
9miller

I use a frankford arsenal media separator for rifle, it does knock the media out of the case however a paperclip is needed to knock out a piece from a primer pocket every now and then, thats all. The separator will save more time for shooting! I use frankford media polish as well so I cant speak for NuFinish, but it is used everytime, add to the media and turn the tumbler on for 5-10 minutes before adding brass.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:49 PM   #3
mehavey

I use the RCBS separator:

It works extremely well, small (10-25 cases) loads or large (100-200), about 30 seconds max for everything.

I leave the (walnut) media where it is (either the tumbler or the separator) and there's no effect from moisture.

NuFinish (or the like) every 80-100 hours of tumble time. (Walnuts are tough)

I tumbler before sizing, so any media in the flash-hole is irrelevant.

Last edited by mehavey; May 5, 2013 at 06:56 PM.