The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2013, 09:37 AM   #1
hobbsj

Acceptable brass from mini-14

Howdy,
first post on this site and I'm curious about using some brass for reloading. I'm not real big in to reloading like may of you probably are. I got in to this when I found a ton of .38 bullets my grandad left. The savings paid for a set-up plus some. Then when Big-O was elected the first time, I bought .223 dyes as I was able to find bullets and brass, but no factory ammo. After collecting .223 brass from my shooting, I noticed a small ding in the side from my Ruger mini-14. I tried to find if there was a burr inside the weapon (thinking maybe it occurred when it underwent expansion) with no luck, and the mark is present regardless of magazine I use. Has anybody else used brass from a mini-14 or any other weapon with this issue? If I have to buy new brass each time I reload, the cost benefit is gone, not to mention new brass is hard to find (factory variability in rounds is not a limiter in my shooting). Any advice on what to do with these is appreciated.
Old April 15, 2013, 12:11 PM   #2
steve4102

It's hard to say without seeing the "ding", got a picture.

The Mini-14 along with many other semi-autos ding the brass up when it is fired and ejected from the chamber bouncing off what ever is in it's way. Depending on the ding (picture) I would load em and shoot em.
Old April 15, 2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Sevens

Yes, picture would help tremendously but all else being equal... it's very common for semi-auto pistols and rifles to ding up brass. And if it's a general, run-of-the-mill casual ding, there is no issue whatsoever.

What is almost amazing is how well those dings get ironed out upon their next firing. Of course, if you fire them in the SAME gun, they'll get dinged again in the same manner and you may not notice that it's a new ding and not the old ding.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it-- but if you show us a picture, we can be even more confident in that answer.
Old April 15, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4
sourdough44

Yes, I reload 223 cases where many come off a range fired in a Mini-14. Many of them are a little 'dinged up'. For the most part it comes out during resizing, and are very reloadable.
Old April 15, 2013, 03:44 PM   #5
hodaka

Don't worry about the little dents. Those that reload for an HK 91 or PTR can tell you that if you can find the brass you can reload them many times although heavily dented. Firing straightens them back out (mostly).
Old April 17, 2013, 11:16 PM   #6
medalguy

The "ding" is from ejection of the brass when it hits the side of the ejection port on its way out. Nothing to worry about. AR brass frequently does this too. Be aware the Mini-14 tosses brass into the next county on ejection.
Old April 18, 2013, 06:34 AM   #7
hobbsj

thanks for all the help guys. I was able to scrounge up up a couple hundred bullets at the store the other day. Top shelf, way in the back so nobody could find them. At least I'll be able to get out and shoot a bit now. Thanks again.
Old April 18, 2013, 11:08 PM   #8
SVTCobra306

My Mini 14 does the same thing, leaves a little ding on the rim when it ejects. Pretty sure it's from the ejector itself, and yeah I reload mine LOL. I also have to chase mine to the next zip code, I lose a lot of brass from that rifle. It tends to get fed older brass and steel cased factory stuff so I don't have to go chasing it so hard.
Old April 18, 2013, 11:28 PM   #9
rc

I think the mini 14 tends to spin cases around and they are hit by the slide near the mouth denting them. You'll see brass particles rubbing on the slide from hitting cases.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:00 PM   #10
foghorn25

I have the exact same issue with my new Mini 14 so I actually had the same question....I will post a pic shortly, stay tuned!
Old May 15, 2013, 01:32 PM   #11
foghorn25

Here is how mine look

Old May 15, 2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Strafer Gott

I know that I have reloaded more than a few just like in the picture, and have not had any problems. They really do fire form, and if fired in a bolt gun the dent will be removed without installing a fresh dent. It might reduce case volume a skosh, but my accuracy load is about a half grain down from max anyway, so pressure isn't a problem.
Old May 15, 2013, 02:19 PM   #13
foghorn25

I'm glad to know some of you guys reload brass that looks like this. Depending on if the old dings gets "ironed out" on the next firing, not sure how many uses I'd dare go with the case, but nonetheless, might now consider some .223 dies. Of course....being able to find bullets would help that decision immensely
Old May 15, 2013, 03:57 PM   #14
higgite

Depending on model, vintage, modifications, ammo, how you hold your mouth and how the planets are aligned, it's not uncommon for a scoped Mini-14 to bounce ejected brass off the windage knob.
Old May 17, 2013, 03:46 AM   #15
Bamashooter

I have reloaded hundreds of pieces of brass just like the pic. No big deal. Sometimes when you re-size the dent will smooth out if it isn't very deep, either way its fine.