The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 17, 2013, 03:05 AM   #1
Tejicano

Non-Strong Side CCW Holster Options

I am looking for a CCW rig to carry a full sized handgun – HK USP 45 or Para-Ord P14.
I cannot carry in a 3:00 to 5:00 position because my arms are way too long for my upper body. I stand about 5’9” but fingertip-to-fingertip I measure about 6’2”. For me trying to draw from that location is like a mix of yoga and torture so it would never be smooth nor swift.
I am looking at shoulder holsters and wondering what experiences people have had with different brands/models. Or if you might have other options I might consider I would appreciate the input.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:28 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

Shoulder rigs/cross-draws...

I'm not fully aware of how you want to carry a full size pistol like a HK or a ParaUSA type but here are a few suggestions;
For concealment & regular carry(low threat areas where you may sit a lot), a shoulder holster may be a smart move.

I used a Aker Comfort-Flex shoulder rig for my Beretta 96D. It worked great. The angled style carry does well. Let gravity be your friend, .
Other top holster & gear makers include: Galco Miami Classic II, Lawman LeatherGoods STU, Kirkpatrick Leather, Bianchi-intl, Alessi, DelFatti, DeSantis.

Call the shop or firm first to make sure they can send the correct fit. Some designs may change or have minor modifications then not fit your pistol.
There are decent cross-draw holsters out there. I'd get a horsehide or Kydex type. Or the holster style that can be adjusted or converted for cant/height.
Greg Kramer, El Paso Saddlery, Milt Sparks, Don Hume, HighNoon Holsters or Blade-Tech may have a rig you like.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Tejicano

Thanks Clyde,

I checked out the website for Aker International - they don't seem to show any information about which holster model fits what type of pistol. I guess I'll have to contact them.

I am hoping somebody with experience carrying either of the handguns I mentioned will chime in so I can hear their experinces with a particular brand and model holster.