The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 28, 2013, 11:25 AM   #1
F23Blackwidow2

Howa Barrled Actions

Hi Guys,

Whats the general concensus on Howa 1500 barreled actions? I have heard, and seen, several howas shoot sub-M.O.A. at 100 yards. So, do you think that its worth putting the money into a barreled action and a McMillian stock, or just buying the Hogue model, with the overmoled stock?

Also, are the actions drilled and tapped from scope mounts, or will I have to get that done myself?

Thanks,
Ken B.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:42 AM   #2
PetahW

The Howa's are basically commercial Mauser 98 style actions, factory D/T'd, and will accept any/all Mauser 98 accessories and/or accurizing techniques.

Whether one's worth putting custom $$ into is a question only you can answer.

Old March 28, 2013, 11:50 AM   #3
TATER

PetahW,You are thinking of the older,
The 1500 and The Vanguard are the same.
HTH
Old March 28, 2013, 01:05 PM   #4
PVL

You asked about Howa barreled actions - but never mentioned Whya barreled action.

About the resemblance to a Mauser, I'm just not seeing it.

I hear that the Howa action is a good quality, fine performing design.

They look nice, too.
Old March 28, 2013, 02:31 PM   #5
jmr40

Quote:
The Howa's are basically commercial Mauser 98 style actions, factory D/T'd, and will accept any/all Mauser 98 accessories and/or accurizing techniques.

Whether one's worth putting custom $$ into is a question only you can answer.

The Howa's are nothing at all like a Mauser. They are much closer to a Remington style action. They are the same basic action as the Weatherby Vanguard. Howa uses different barrels, stocks, triggers, safety's etc., but any after market parts that will fit a Vanguard will fit the Howa.

If the price is right they are a decent rifle to build on. The biggest complaint I have is excess weight. The actions are much heavier than comparable guns made by Savage, Remington, Winchester etc. Using one with the Hogue stock really makes for an insanely heavy gun.
Old March 28, 2013, 03:56 PM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Ditto on the weight ! You'll have a seven pound rifle , before you scope it ! They aren't bad shooters , they just suck to carry , for my style of hunting .
Old March 28, 2013, 04:21 PM   #7
jmr40

Make that closer to an 8 lb rifle before scoping. Compare that to around 6-6.5 for many others. The Hogue stocks will add another 1-2 lbs extra weight. depeding on the scope and mounts you choose a Howa or Vanguard in a Hogue stock could easiy weigh 11 lbs with a sporter weight barrel. Many bull barreled target guns aren't that heavy.

But they are dependable accurate guns. I've owned a few. If I were to own another it would probably be one in a magnum chambering where I wanted a little extra weight. I can't see a 308, 243, etc needing a rifle that heavy.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
hooligan1

That weight is in the barrel though, but Oldsap's right they suck to carry long distances, I have the Vanguard and it's not light enough to pack (for me), in the deer woods, and the heavier barrel seems to make nice accuracy.
Old March 28, 2013, 05:07 PM   #9
F23Blackwidow2

Weight is not really an issue, because I'm not that fond of recoil, and becuase it will probably spend most of its time on the bench at the range, becuase I rarely get out to go hunting. Plus, I always found that I really disliked light guns, becuase I feel like they're toys. My airsoft gun weighs more that my .22!!!

But I guess a 10lb rifle might be a little ridiculous...
Old March 28, 2013, 06:34 PM   #10
PVL

This custom Savage in .243 Winchester weighs ten pounds.

( Click image to see bigger )

Old March 28, 2013, 06:51 PM   #11
handlerer2

I own and have owned Vanguard,300WBY, Mdl 700,7mag, and the only similarity between the two is they are both push feed bolt actions.

The Vanguard-Howa are altogether more solid than a Mdl 700. The 700 receiver is drilled out bar stock, doesn't have a solid bolt, and has washered recoil lug, it's is IMO opinion cheap and overpriced. Thr factory target on my Vanguard is between .6-.7". I can shoot under an inch and my son can shoot .8". Not easy with 300WBY. It's instant death on Mule deer!

I sold my Rem 700 and didn't regret it at all! I now own only solidly built rifles, Weatherby MKV, Vanguard, Cooper, and a Ruger 77.

The Vanguard-Howa has a bolt machined from solid billet, handle and all. The receiver is machined from a solid billet, flat bottomed, it beds much easier, and has a solid integral recoil lug. Yes, it weighs over a pound more than a Mdl 700, but I can carry it w/o whining about a pound and a half, and I'm a 61 year old man.

If you can't handle a old fashioned solidly built rifle you can settle for cheap or get in shape, or stay on the bench. Rant over!

Last edited by handlerer2; March 28, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:25 PM   #12
Beentown71

My Howa 1500 Varmint is one of my favorite rifles. With the heavy barrel, bipod, sling and 6-24x50 Vortex it weighs 12.5 pounds. Most of that is barrel. Mine on average shoots .66" 5 shot groups at 100 yards using FGM. Just now started reloading and I am looking forward to see what it can REALLY do.

Doing work...

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old March 29, 2013, 10:06 AM   #13
kahrguy

You can probably get a deal in a vanguard2 ad have a good stock with it. Nothing but a howa in a weatherby designed stock. Better company support too.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:36 PM   #14
big_bad_kitty

Been waiting on these two for over a month. They both came in yesterday afternoon and I am still waiting on the scope for the black one! Darn fine guns and they do not have to play second fiddle to anything I have seen lately! First HOWA I have owned but after this it sure will not be the last. Can't wait to get on the range with them and see how they shoot.

Camo is 20" barrel and black one is 24". Both are 308's and I think they look great!
Old March 29, 2013, 01:44 PM   #15
Huffmanite

recall a gent who did gunsmithing commenting on buying barreled Howa actions for custom rifles. As I recall, he preferred them over Remington 700 actions. Only negative thing was removing barrel from a Howa action. Seems Howa really torques a barrel in and rermoving one sometimes can be a problem.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:14 PM   #16
F23Blackwidow2

Nice on the new guns Big Bad Kitty. Hope you like them. Can you tell us how they shoot?
Old March 29, 2013, 10:56 PM   #17
big_bad_kitty

Should be on the range with the 20" camo on Sunday afternoon. The scope for the 24" black one should hit Tu or Wed next week with a trip to the range on Saturday. Range report to follow! Also a report on the Nighteater 6-24x56mm 30mm Illum Mil Dot Reticle. Have very high hopes for this thing!
Old April 1, 2013, 10:16 AM   #18
wnycollector

My Howa 1500 varmint 308 with a Boyd's bedded thumbhole stock shoots 0.6" 5 shot groups with FGMM 168's.
Old April 1, 2013, 04:17 PM   #19
F23Blackwidow2

FGMM? Is that Federal Gold Medal Match? Sorry, I'm not great with acronyms.
Old April 1, 2013, 08:03 PM   #20
wnycollector

You are correct OP. FGMM is federal gold medal match. With high ammo prices and scarcity, it is hard to come by, but well worth it to see just what you rifle is capable of.
Old April 1, 2013, 08:07 PM   #21
Beentown71

Quote:
My Howa 1500 varmint 308 with a Boyd's bedded thumbhole stock shoots 0.6" 5 shot groups with FGMM 168's.
Right what I get out of mine. Great rifles.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old April 15, 2013, 03:49 PM   #22
castnblast

Shoot me a pm and ill show you some incredible groups via text. I'm too lazy to go to photobucket and upload then post. Sorry. I have 2 howas. Love 'em. And extremely accurate. Get clove leaf 4 shot groups with my 243 shooting 85 Speer btsp's and 42.7 gr of RL17. I have the axiom on the 270 and it is light. It shoots the same type groups. Excellent guns.