The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 7, 2013, 11:09 AM   #1
AID_Admin

What kind of revolver is it?

Hey guys, here is something revolver pros can find entertaining. This is a few screen shots I've made from a very-very famous Russian music clip from early 90's. I saw this clip dozen times when it came out and never thought about the gun they use. I assumed it was a Nagant, since it was the only Russian made revolver.

Suddenly, 20 years later, I remembered about this clip yesterday, looked again and see that this revolver is not a Nagant at all. If anything it looks like a Colt Python, but where would they get a Colt in early 90's in Russia? Possible, but unlikely. So, what else could it be? Any thought? :-)))

Old April 7, 2013, 11:14 AM   #2
roadrash

I think it's a plastic Python.
Old April 7, 2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Tom Matiska

Wifama Gward????? Polish..... S&W clone.....
Old April 7, 2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Glenn Dee

Looks mostly like a simulated firearm (movie gun). I see them all the time in gun magazines. Some fire blanks.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:14 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

A rough copy of a Python, it is a dummy gun.

Jim
Old April 7, 2013, 01:37 PM   #6
AID_Admin

They do fire it during the video...

Last edited by AID_Admin; April 7, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The cylinder latch/release is Colt style, not S&W. It's either a Colt or a clone of a Colt. Maybe a Python, but Colt also had a less expensive model with a ribbed barrel and I'm drawing a blank on which model that was.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:06 PM   #8
Tortuga12

Maybe a Diamondback?
Old April 7, 2013, 07:10 PM   #9
AID_Admin

I figured it would make sense to post the actual video. If you don't care to waste 4-5 minutes of your time, the most noticeable moment with a revolver starts at 1:56 and ends at 2:14.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KC-iscJtsI
Old April 7, 2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Lavan

Pythonsky
Old April 7, 2013, 07:35 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

IMHO, the "shot" is faked. There was no indication of recoil or of the gun being held as it would have been if it were actually fired. As for loading the gun for "Russian roulette", there are some dummy guns made to chamber dummy cartridges that look like real ones.

Yes, the "gun" is made to look like a Colt Diamondback. But check the length of the cylinder flutes, the shaper of the cylinder leades and notches, and the pins on the rear of the cylinder (shown in the loading part).

Neat speculation but it is not a real gun.

Jim
Old April 7, 2013, 08:05 PM   #12
AID_Admin

Jim, I have notices cylinder notches right from the beginning, that's why I doubt it's a Colt initially. The part were they imitate the "Russian roulette" is obviously fake, no questions there. But you've made a great point about a recoil. Even with my limited experience I know well, that making a shot with a revolver of this size, especially with one hand and in such an awkward position should show at least some recoil. And there is none on the video. But would there be any recoil if they shot blanks?

Anyway, this was posted mostly for fun. I really don't have to find out if this is a real gun and what it is. I just thought it would be an interesting Sunday entertainment for everyone :-)
Old April 8, 2013, 03:44 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

One reason I doubted the gun was real without even looking at it is that Russia is not exactly a nation dedicated to individual gun rights, and having a real gun to show off in a video seems, to put it mildly, unlikely.

As for blanks, yes, there is some recoil when firing a blank, though obviously not as much as when firing a bullet. Recoil is the opposite reaction to the movement of the projectile forward. With a blank the projectile is not a solid bullet, but the hot gas and powder residue, as well as the wad (if any) have mass and there is some recoil. In this case, I think the gun is a pure dummy and will not even fire blanks so that volume of smoke is being generated by something else, like dry ice in a bucket.

Jim
Old April 8, 2013, 04:49 PM   #14
AID_Admin

Well, then I guess I will never have a gun one of my favorite rockers has! Instead I will have to live with some cheap imitation of it made by Colt or S&W. Poor me!
Old April 8, 2013, 05:10 PM   #15
mrray13

Sure ya can...kinda...$98 or so...lol
Old April 8, 2013, 05:29 PM   #16
AID_Admin

Lol, good come back!