The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 5, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1
bluetopper

Opinions Wanted on 357 Maximum

I've been contemplating for a while getting a 357 Maximum barrel for my T/C Contender and I'd just like some opinions from others of the caliber. My main purpose for it would be group shooting at 100yds or pure entertainment you might say.
Those who have the caliber would you recommend it?
Old April 5, 2013, 09:15 PM   #2
kcub

I love my Dan Wesson Supermag.

These folks claim dime size groups @ 100 yards from their Thompson barrels; impressive.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=605
Old April 5, 2013, 10:25 PM   #3
jglsprings

It's ideal for the Contender and reloading. Anywhere from mild to wild. I love mine. It's a super 16.

Commas save lives...
Old April 6, 2013, 03:18 PM   #4
steveno

very accurate and very loud. I liked the Hornady 140 grain hollow point although at 2,200 fps it was definitely overstressed. the other bullet that shot very well was the Speer 180 grain soft point (rifle bullet)
Old April 6, 2013, 07:01 PM   #5
OkieCruffler

There may no better round for the contender platform. I've loaded it from 110gr to 180 gr and it's performed well all through the weights. Absolutely lethal against anything up to deer. Works great for hog. And yet I sold my barrel a few weeks ago.
Old April 6, 2013, 07:07 PM   #6
robhof

robhof

I have the 14" bull barrel for my Tender and love it. I actually just wanted the frame, the barrel was a nice plus as I already had a DW 357 Max. I can hit the gong at 200yds with either all day long, they're rather flat shooting and the Tender can use the lighter bullets at higher speeds than the revolver that has forcing cone problems with light, fast bullets, the reason Ruger stopped making the revolver, although I still see many in competition to this day. With heavy bullets and reasonable loads the revolversd last a long time. The Tender laste even longer.