The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 4, 2013, 05:52 AM   #1
AK71

Picking up my first Carry Permit next week!

And I have a couple of questions:

1) Other than where it is explicitly illegal, when do you typically remove your EDC?

2) What setup do you have in your vehicle for storage?

Thanks
Old April 4, 2013, 06:13 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations!

First, start here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Second, have fun on the Wally Walk!

ETA: there's a map for the Wally Walk here.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
TailGator

(1) Bed and shower. Swimming pool. Can't think of another. And it's my own pool.

(2) I have the top-opening GunVault unit. It comes with a cable that I loop around the seat support, and then the box slides under the seat. Nicely versatile, in that it can also be taken into a hotel room and the cable looped around a bed frame or other furniture if you need some security there. I also bring it in my house when we have company; it fits nicely in the drawer of my bedside table. I like things with multiple uses - makes me feel like I am getting more bang for my buck.
Old April 4, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
Other than where it is explicitly illegal, when do you typically remove your EDC?
While there may be others the only thing that comes to mind is I do not carry into the homes of other people unless they have given me permission before hand.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 4, 2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

On others' homes, check your state laws. In Arkansas, for example, I cannot carry in someone else's home unless I inform them. (Result: Most homes to which I go have been told up front, "I'll be carrying.")
Old April 4, 2013, 02:09 PM   #6
DaleA

See TailGator's #2 post. When you take off your gun you owe it to yourself and others to put it someplace safe and TailGator's solution is pretty good.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:12 PM   #7
AK71

So people generally carry to work and the gym? Or do yours have signs or policies that specifically forbid firearms?

I have a safe like the one Gator uses and was planning to do the same thing - just wanted to hear some other options
Old April 4, 2013, 06:23 PM   #8
BarryLee

Quote:
So people generally carry to work and the gym?
My employers have always prohibited firearms, so I leave mine in the car. As for the gym I have never carried in the gym, but do carry when I walk, hike or run outside.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 5, 2013, 09:23 AM   #9
TailGator

Quote:
So people generally carry to work and the gym?
I own my own business, so work is not a problem. If 'twere not so, the GunVault would be the solution and I might even own two of them.

I haven't belonged to a gym for a long time. I have exercise equipment at home to supplement the outdoor activities, yard work, and so on, that I do.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:10 AM   #10
shouldazagged

I'm retired, so work is no longer a problem. I carry anytime I step out of my apartment, but not indoors. My EDC is in easy reach as I write this, and there's a gun in the head of my bed; but at 75 I don't feel like living on a constant state of level orange alert. I'm not going to tuck a J-frame in my skivvies to go to the bathroom.

If a business, other than my bank, the airport or the post office, expressly forbids weapons, I honor that. I also go elsewhere to conduct business.

At my age and with my bad knees and lungs (if you smoke, quit NOW), running is something other people do. I'd have to make three trips and pitch camp once to haul a**.
Old April 7, 2013, 11:11 AM   #11
FAS1

Quote:
AK71
I have a safe like the one Gator uses and was planning to do the same thing - just wanted to hear some other options
Just depends how convenient vs secure you want your weapon when it has to be stored in a vehicle for an extended time.

The first photo is one that is very popular and convenient, but gives a false sense of security in my opinion.

The other two is from a guy that needed to store his gun in his car all day while at work and wasn't so concerned about convenience and wanted more security. Having to access the trunk to store and retrieve his weapon was the trade off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GV200 Failed Latch with Screwdriver.jpg (140.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg FAS1 Mustang Install Closed Small.jpg (129.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg FAS1 Mustang Install Small.jpg (139.7 KB, 36 views)
Old April 9, 2013, 08:48 AM   #12
Buckdown

Dont reccomend storing a pistol on your vehicle.Bad idea. Could get stolenA gun is just a paperweigt if not carried on your person at all times.suggest you also take a professional course in self defense.well worth the money
Old April 11, 2013, 02:19 PM   #13
bikerbill

I follow my state's laws regarding places that are off-limits (stores and businesses posted with a legally required sign, contents and size mandated by the law; government buildings like courts, bars) but otherwise I'm always armed, even at home (NAA Pug in my pocket right now) ... I don't anticipate trouble, but the nearest gun to me is on the other side of the house and I'd like not to need it and not have it ... the Pug stays in my shorts pocket in my closet overnight, with a 1911 on my nightstand when I'm in bed ...

I don't have any special setup in my car, if I have to leave a gun behind, it's not for long and it's locked in the glovebox ...
Old April 14, 2013, 01:47 PM   #14
craZivn

I wouldn't recommend storing a gun in your trunk, for the reason that you gave to get out of the car to put it there. Anyone observing will know that you have a gun in your car.
If you're gonna be away from your vehicle for an extended time, especially a predictable time like work or a movie, secrecy is as important as security. Even if the thief can't manage to get the trunk safe open to steal the gun, you're still liable to find a smashed window or sprung trunk when you get back to your car.

And I can vouch for the weakness of the vault depicted in FAS1's first photo. I have that same vault, and the lower part of the latch is spot-welded on, you can flex it with your hands. The main reason I used the vault in my car is to prevent quick smash-and-grab jobs, and also to keep mischievous children and nosey friends from getting me charged with negligence. For a serious thief, it would delay them about the time it takes to grab their Leatherman.

I have a backpack now that has a holster compartment in it, if I have to go someplace where printing could cause trouble then I put the gun there (loaded or unloaded depending on circumstances). Then I carry the backpack with me. If someone wants to search the backpack I believe they need a warrant.

Around here, if you are carrying in a store that is posted and someone notices, they will simply inform you that weapons aren't allowed and tell you to leave. A lot of places have signs that are in really dumb spots and easy to miss when you're walking in.

I weigh the odds, and to me the risk of winding up with a $200 fine for carrying in a posted location is less than the chances of needing a weapon in a gun-free zone.

Of course, carrying in government buildings or schools is a different matter entirely, for the rare times when I have to go there I must rely on the Gunvault.

Ivan
Old April 14, 2013, 02:41 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

AK 71. Congrats are in order first. Second, follow Spats directions in the second post. Handgunlaw.us will soon be your best friend. Learn where you can legally carry and do it as often as possible. Gym, running, work, all of those differ from individual to individual. Find what you are comfortable with.

On last bit... Invest in a good leather holster designed for your gun. You will also need to invest in a good leather gun belt. They are the most important part of your carry rig.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:43 PM   #16
WESHOOT2

legalize vs survival

1) When about to pass through metal detector;
in bed, shower, or pool

2) The holster on my hip;
paper bag, fanny pack