The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2013, 11:22 AM   #51
SmokinSigs357

Do yourself a favor and go fondle a Walther PPQ. Do it.

I've owned a few Glocks and one XD. They both operated well. The PPQ has better ergos and shoots dead nuts...blows the two others away. The only gripe others have with it is that it doesn't come stock with night sights. Its not my bedstand gun, so I don't care.

Additionally, if you were loving the SIG and just happened to miss out on it at your LGS, find another one. A P226 will out shoot a Glock and/or XD any day.

If you are now wanting a striker-fired polymer ubergun, you need to look no further than the PPQ.

For those familiar with Larry Vickers, he is associated with Glock, HK, and Wilson Combat. Do a Google search with "Vickers Walther PPQ" and you will be led to a forum where Vickers has been singing the praises of the PPQ...best stock trigger, most accurate out of the box gun he's ever had.

That's alot to be said by a guy whose shows and clinics are sponsored by every other company than Walther and who has been a big part of designing some of HK's foremost firearms.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:43 PM   #52
K31Scout

I have the XD9 because of the grip. Glock felt all wrong for me. I have XL hands and have no trouble with the grip safety.

I agree the Walther PPQ has a nice trigger but I can get used to just about any trigger given a little dry firing. I've handled and dry fired the PPQ and a Ruger SR9 and both triggers are very close in feel but I have not fired real ammo in either. Both have much better triggers than Glock or XD in my opinion.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:59 PM   #53
KO3422

I say G17. Just because it maybe easier to find and the parts availability.
Old March 27, 2013, 10:24 PM   #54
Tactical Jackalope

XD9 or Glock 17 as first gun.

SmokinSigs357, I had the opposite effect with the PPQ. I bought it. Shot it with my Glock 19 and SIG 226. Didn't see what all the fuss was about. A month later I gave it to my best friend as his first handgun.
Old March 27, 2013, 10:28 PM   #55
TunnelRat

Quote:
A month later I gave it to my best friend as his first handgun.
Can't think of a better way to get rid of a gun.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 29, 2013, 04:38 PM   #56
jfost

I have an xd 9 and something about the grip being so form-fitting reminded me of sig pistols. The xdm is worth it. Find a glock with a match grade barrel and look at the price: you'll know the xdm is a great value then. I have a g27 as well. I like them both, but grip really can make a difference, plus price, and I mentioned this in another thread that the xd's can shoot +p and +p+ ammo so that is something else to consider.
Old March 29, 2013, 06:40 PM   #57
magnum777

If the XD9 feels better go with that.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:50 PM   #58
ZIA

I'll put in my vote for the Glock. I've fired nearly every Glock & have put a few thousand rounds through them (mostly G19) without a single issue.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:30 PM   #59
Beentown71

Re: XD9 or Glock 17 as first gun.

XD for sure.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:58 PM   #60
COHotspur

I'll lean towards the XD; feels more like my Sig, so it's probably just a familiarity thing.

The XD just seemed to settle better in my hand than the Glock.
Old March 31, 2013, 02:14 AM   #61
SteelChickenShooter

XD or Glock 17 in 9mm as a first? I've had both and I don't think it matters. Both are very good. If you don't happen to care for the little safety feature on the grip, then the Glock is a better way to go. If the XD fits your hand, and the added little piece is no issue it's a toss up. I had the XD longer barrel and the shorter barrel. The little one was trouble when it came to "unload and show clear". The G17 I had was the long version. Very good on targets, but not for carry. Presently I own a Glock 34 in 9mm and an XD in 45ACP and have no trouble with either.
Old April 4, 2013, 05:45 PM   #62
Renuco612

It took 7 days to finally get my XD9 Tactical Devirginized!!! And boy did it feel great!!! To make this day even better, a friend of mine went along with me and he brought his Glock 17. So after shooting about 50 rounds on my XD9 and 50 rounds from his G17, I am more satisfied with my purchase.

The XD felt so much more comfortable in my hands, the recoil was much nicer and also the trigger reset felt better. My buddy ended up shooting about 25 rounds off my XD and even was like "wow". Now he is even thinking of getting and XD9 now.

The one thing i didn't like were the sights. He changed his to the TF0 sights. Those make a huge difference. Im going to change mine as soon as possible.