The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 24, 2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Scoping a Ruger 22/45?

My local range is considering starting an informal bullseye competition, and this may affect my gun plans. I have a Ruger 22/45 (Mark II? Mine is the generation before Ruger introduced removable grip panels on the 22/45) with a bull barrel and adjustable sights. I've never really card for the gun, I rarely use it, and I was about to put it on the block for sale when the owner announced the bullseye concept.

I'm interested in giving the bullseye a try, and from what I understand the Ruger rimfires are pretty decent entry level bullseye pistols. So I guess I'll hold onto the gun for awhile.

Talking to a friend who is a serious bullseye competitor, he mentioned that most older shooters (he meant himself, and I'm at least 15 years older than he is) have gone over to red dot sights for bullseye. So I'd like to be able to mount a modest red dot of some sort on my 22/45. It isn't drilled and tapped for rings. Can anyone point me at a reasonably-priced Weaver/Picatinny rail that can be attached to a Ruger rimfire with bull barrel?
Old March 26, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2
BoogieMan

I have a 22/45 Mark III. Came with a rail from Ruger. If one wasnt in your box or you bought second hand you can contact ruger for the rail. Should be under $20. I also just topped mine with a tru-glo tube style green dot. Its a low end setup. But it holds zero so far. From a bench at 25yds I can make about 1-1/2" group. At 100yds I can make about a 4" group. This is with mixed HV 40gr. Rimfire seems very finicky about ammo in my experience. If ammo was available I might take the time to zero it in on a particular brand. I would guess that the pistol is capable of well under 1" at 25yds. There is a youtube video about removing the molded grips so you can get aftermarkets to fit on yours. Also you may be able to order the frame only from ruger (no serial on frame) so that you can experiment with grips. I liked the looks of the wood grips but ended up using the takeoffs from my Kimber (rubber) to get a little thicker grip on the Ruger.
Almost forgot.
GET A ULTIMATE CLIP LOADER
http://www.mcfaden.com/cliploader.html
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 26, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
g.willikers

Mk 3s have tapped and threaded holes for scope mounts.
Mk 2s don't, like Aguila has said.
Danged pity, too.
Old March 26, 2013, 05:34 PM   #4
TAKtical

You might be out of luck. You could always sell it and put the proceeds towards a newer 22/45.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 26, 2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I don't think selling it and trying to buy a Mark III is in the cards. I may just have to send it to Ruger and have them mount a rail.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:13 PM   #6
weblance

Since you said bull barrel, and adjustable sights... there are several options for you. Weigand makes a scope mount that goes in the dovetail that is cut for the rear sight. You remove the rear sight body, and the mount goes there. There also were mounts from B Square, I believe that clamped around the barrel, I believe these are discontinued, but you may still be able to find them. The Burris FastFire III has a mount that goes in the rear sight dovetail. No other mount is needed.

http://www.jackweigand.com/rm2fd.html

https://www.volquartsen.com/products...mkii-and-mkiii

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/193...-mark-ii-gloss
Old March 26, 2013, 07:41 PM   #7
kraigwy

To the op:

When I got my Ruger 22/45 Mk III I didn't know it came with a rail so I bought one.

So I have an extra one.

If you haven't alread dried and tapped for something else,PM me with your address and I'll send it to you.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071