The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 24, 2013, 04:13 AM   #1
bobbart

The new colt 380 mustang pocketlite

I looking for a Holster for the new colt 380 mustang pocketlite and I'm not sure if they are selling holsters for the new colt 380 or the old colt 380 or are the pistols the same size and will fit any colt 380 mustang pocketlite?
I looking to buy a right hand holster with a clip on for the belt,
it could be Nylon or leather, with a thumb break strap.
I appreciate any help with this.

Thanks Again,
Bobbart.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The new Colt Mustang Pocketlight is exactly the same as the old Colt Mustang and Mustang Pocketlight. It so happens that I have been looking for an OWB belt holster for the sister pistol, the Colt Pony, and I have found that very few of the "name" (or no-name) holster makers offer a holster for the Mustang or the Pony.

The frame of the Mustang is the same as the Government .380, but the slide and barrel of the Mustang are shorter. A holster for a Government .380 will work, if you can find one, but if it's a closed muzzle design there will be empty space beyond the Mustang's muzzle, and eventually the end of the holster will get mashed.

I'm about to order one of these, from Bulldog Cases. It's cheap enough that, if it doesn't work, I won't cry a river of salty tears.

The web site is http://www.bulldogcases.com/case-vau...ort=20a&page=2 . For the Mustang, the size would be the small. It's available directly from Bulldog, it's cheaper at Sportsmans Guide, and even cheaper yet at Optics Planet:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/...ini-autos.html
Old March 24, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3
bobbart

Aguila Blanca

Aguila Blanca, so what your saying is, I can just search for any Colt Mustang Pocketlight holster and it will fit the new Colt Mustang Pocketlight pistol?

Thanks for the information,
bobbart
Old March 24, 2013, 01:46 PM   #4
ricko

that does look like a good price! i just ordered one of those in the medium size for my 9mm.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Aguila Blanca, so what your saying is, I can just search for any Colt Mustang Pocketlight holster and it will fit the new Colt Mustang Pocketlight pistol?
Yes. The "new" Mustang Pocketlight is the exact same pistol as the "old" Mustang Pocketlight, except for a minor improvement inside where you'll never see it.

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=125

New:

Old:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Arti...id=1687&cid=19
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20097231105-coltmustang_ms.jpg (13.8 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; July 25, 2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old March 25, 2013, 10:19 AM   #6
TATER

This is the wifes Old Model,

Old March 25, 2013, 12:20 PM   #7
GyMac

I bought one of the Bulldog case holsters listed above for my Makarov and am very happy with it.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyMac
I bought one of the Bulldog case holsters listed above for my Makarov and am very happy with it.
That's good news. I have one on order, and I'm looking forward to its arrival.
Old March 27, 2013, 01:24 PM   #9
basilisk4

Is there an easy way to tell whether a particular Mustang Pocketlite is the new version or the old version? Thanks.
Old March 27, 2013, 01:38 PM   #10
RickB

The new and old Mustangs have exactly the same exterior dimensions, but they're not exactly the same. The slide and frame of the new guns are machined from barstock, while the older ones were made from castings.
Old March 31, 2013, 07:37 PM   #11
flintforever

hanks gun leather
IWB for the LCP Ruger will fit your gun like a glove.I have one for my LCP and a Buddie has the same colt and we gave it a run the other day yep it fits
He just ordered one
http://www.hanksgunleather.com/naa--ruger.html
copy and paste the link
Old April 1, 2013, 02:19 PM   #12
TailGator

Folks have told me that the design of Sig P238 was appropriated from the Mustang. Are they close enough that a holster labeled for the Sig might fit the Colt OK? That might be an avenue to explore.
Old April 1, 2013, 06:19 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgator
Folks have told me that the design of Sig P238 was appropriated from the Mustang. Are they close enough that a holster labeled for the Sig might fit the Colt OK? That might be an avenue to explore.
Mechanically, the SIG P238 is a direct rip=-off of the Mustang. However, like with their 1911s, SIG massaged the shape of the slide to make it appear more SIG-like. The SIG slide is a bit blockier. I'm sure a Mustang will go into the holster but, if the holster is closely boned (molded) to the SIG slide, the Mustang might be a tad loose.

FWIW, my Bulldog holster arrived today from Optics Planet. It's a perfect fit for the Colt Pony 380 (which is the double action only version of the Mustang). The leather isn't as thick as a Horseshoe Leather or Milt Sparks holster, but for $13.99 I wasn't expecting it to be. Stitching is pretty good. The leather feels a bit "cardboardy," but I think perhaps saddle soap and polish may help that. For the price, I'm more than satisfied.

But ... it's made in China.

Colt Mustang:

SIG P238