The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2013, 10:04 PM   #26
medalguy

We still don't know where the OP is located. I'd bet someone near him (wherever that is) might donate some powder to get him started out right. OP, you out there?
Old March 17, 2013, 06:37 PM   #27
BigD_in_FL

Shane:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinFL
But the OP sure sounds like there is no reloading manual in the library. Not using published data from the makers of either the powder or bullet is asking for danger. With the flood of millions of new gun owners and the tens of thousands of new reloaders who come here and to other sites looking for the "quick answer" instead of doing their homework, we as experienced reloaders need to do a "STOP, RTFM" and then have them ask for clarifications, not before they have read the books
You certainly have a valid point when giving the meat and potatoes for advice. The called pitch may be the right one, but the style of delivery could be adjusted. Again, reading a manual is most certainly the first and best step in the process. But the OP didn't say he did or did not read manuals first. Do many new loaders fail to do this? I'm willing to bet sadly it is the case. But let's give members the benefit of the doubt and/or clarify a few issues before asserting oneself too blatantly.

Let's all keep in mind we have a member that's wanting to explore a hobby/lifestyle that we all have grown to love. We were all in his shoes at one time or another. As I hope people were patient with you starting up, I expect the same culture to pass on to the ones new today.

The LAST thing we need is to turn off those that otherwise would help bolster what's left of our gun culture in our beloved, yet troubled country.
You are quite correct, BUT as you well see, we are getting these same types of posts more and more with an alarming frequency. They all follow the same basic premise -"I don't want to do my due diligence, can someone just give me the Cliff Notes version of this whole reloading thing?"

That type of risky behavior needs to be slammed hard because of the dangers involved - not just to the new reloader, but to all who will read the thread and do the same thing and then possibly injure others at the range near them.

After watching several folks die in industrial accidents due to the same cavalier attitude, I find it extremely offensive and worrisome that a lot of this is just brushed off.

Reloading is NOT for everyone - as evidenced here and on other threads, way too many younger folks have a serious attention deficit and reloading is not the hobby where being distracted is a safe scenario.

While not the friendliest manner, if my brusque method makes even ONE person stop, think and either revamp their approach or realize they are not ready for this, then I consider the possible injury prevention worth the "time out" from staff.

JMO, YMMV