The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 11, 2013, 11:24 PM   #1
craZivn

My Ruger Customer Service Story: A Graphic Novel.

On January 18, I bought one of these:

On February 7, it did this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPM0a...ature=youtu.be

Which made me do this:

Then This:

So Ruger sent me this:

...which I picked up yesterday, and now looks like this:

And I look like this:

The end.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Venom1956

Ha thats a great post.

Made me smile.

There is something seriously wrong with your trigger its not reset back to the front. Did you notice if it was always that far back or did it happen after the malfunction? that nub thats visible should be up in the gun.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 12, 2013, 06:12 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Very nice. What type of inlays are those? I would guess mammoth but that is just a wild guess.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:19 AM   #4
18DAI

Congrats!

Ruger is a fine company. I'm sorry I didn't try their products sooner.

Were it not for the lack of quality and IL on S&W revolvers, I'd have never discovered Rugers fine revolvers. I would have missed out.

Glad they treated you right! Regards 18DAI
Old March 12, 2013, 10:18 AM   #5
alex0535

So you sent in an LCR and they sent you an SP101?

How did that happen?
Old March 12, 2013, 10:34 AM   #6
KPD007

Cool story
Old March 12, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Cheap 870

Two thumbs up to Ruger. I've never heard anything bad about Rugers customer service.
They sent me a new set of SB grips. My buddy sent back the cracked stock on his M77 338 that he bought used, received a new better looking stock.
Old March 12, 2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Ferretboy

Im jealous, I have a need to find an sp101 right now. even looing to trade another pistol towards one.
Old March 12, 2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Sevens

Quote:
So you sent in an LCR and they sent you an SP101?

How did that happen?
I will second the motion.

It would seem to make a lot more sense if Ruger sent you a new LCR.

Myself, I'd be doing cartwheels over this swap, but I can see how some folks who purchased an LCR, would want an LCR in return. From Ruger's standpoint, I'm not sure what they are figuring.

Maybe there is a picture that explains this?!
Old March 12, 2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Cheap 870

Never thought about that, how do you send back an LCR & get an SP101?
Old March 12, 2013, 03:16 PM   #11
moach57

You sir have a good looking gun! And I agree, why did Ruger send you back a sp101?
Old March 12, 2013, 04:14 PM   #12
dgludwig

Quote:
why did Ruger send you back a sp101?
I don't know the answer either, but I'm wrapping my LCR up now for shipment to Ruger as fast as I can before their swapping a 101 for an LCR policy changes.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:15 PM   #13
tekarra

Nice story.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:18 PM   #14
craZivn

Venom: The trigger was not always like that, it simply failed to return to full-reset that time and would not be persuaded. Because of that, it prevented anything else from properly cycling in the gun and the cylinder could not be ejected either. (Epilogue to the story: Ruger also sent back the snap caps that were stuck in the gun when I sent it in, they arrived in a padded envelope today.)

Kreyz: They're Box Elder burl grips, from Chig's Grips. He didn't have any mammoth grips in stock. But I'm gonna start telling people that that's what these are made of now.

Alex and y'all: Ruger emailed a week after I sent the gun in and informed me that they couldn't repair mine and would be sending me a new gun. They would have sent me an LCR, but I kinda requested a different one. Here's my reply:

"Is there any way to find out what the cause of the malfunction was? I am concerned that it may happen again, and if it were to happen in a defense situation the results would be disastrous, not to mention embarrassing. I would like to be able to trust my life to my carry piece, and I'm not sure I can rely on the LCR again.

Would it be possible to credit the value of the gun toward a different Ruger product? I would be willing to sacrifice the light weight and great trigger pull of the LCR for a more proven model."

They said yes, I could have the SP101 at no extra charge, or credit the value of the LCR toward a more expensive gun. They could not tell me what went wrong with the LCR. I couldn't find anyone else online who had that problem either.
I did a weekend of reading on the SP and finally requested the 3" model with hammer spur. It took about two weeks to arrive at my gun shop, after which I had to fill out new paperwork and go through the 48-hour waiting period (which was actually 47 hours due to daylight savings time, don't tell anyone).

So now, you know, the rest of the story. Ruger's customer service is top-notch!

Ivan
Old March 12, 2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Deaf Smith

While the new LCP is lighter I do prefer the all steel wheelguns.

I have the SP101, both an early .38 spl. and a later .357 magnum and I can say they are excellent guns. If you run out of shots just use it as a rock. Man they are built... over built but still well built.

Deaf
Old March 13, 2013, 01:50 AM   #16
Chinny33

wow thats incredible

thanks for this post.

Im glad ive been holding onto RGR stock for a year now. Going to keep it a bit longer.
Proverbs 27:12
Old March 13, 2013, 11:00 AM   #17
hdbiker

Ruger Cust. Service is Top Notch

I have a New Modle Single Six conv. that was literly worn out from use.It was not locking up properly and was spitting lead.I caller Ruger then sent it in.They retimed the action,recut the forcing cone,replaced the front sight ( it always shot high ),and touched up the finish. NO CHARGE !!!!!!!!! Shooting as good as new now . biker
Old March 13, 2013, 12:20 PM   #18
alex0535

Thank for elaborating on how you ended up with a different revolver.

It makes me even more confident in buying a ruger, or several rugers. This is the highest level of excellent customer service.

I think you ended up with a better gun than you started with. Everything I hear about the SP101 and GP101 are that they are built like tanks. It will probably serve you well for a long time, and if it doesn't Ruger will make it right.