The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2013, 06:56 PM   #1
ZVP

20 ga popularity for HD?

I am reading many posts about the 20ga and this is why I chose a SxS Double 20 ga for us.
1 With bad sholders, the wife can take the recoil.
Price of a used gun Cheap for a 20 ga!
Nearly the same shot load and good velocity in the 20 ga.
20 ga double with 26" bbls is almost the same OAL as an 870 with a 20" tube! More velocity from longer bbls in the 20ga!
I would have opted for a 12 ga if our 63 year old carcases were in better shape. BPDave
Old February 8, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

#3 buck is a nasty load but I'd be more concerned by the lack of capacity than the caliber. 20ga will get it done...... unless there are multiple attackers.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Babyfacenelson

In which case you hug them to death, right?
Old February 8, 2013, 08:08 PM   #4
badge851

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVP
I am reading many posts about the 20ga and this is why I chose a SxS Double 20 ga for us.
1 With bad sholders, the wife can take the recoil.
Price of a used gun Cheap for a 20 ga!
Nearly the same shot load and good velocity in the 20 ga.
20 ga double with 26" bbls is almost the same OAL as an 870 with a 20" tube! More velocity from longer bbls in the 20ga!
I would have opted for a 12 ga if our 63 year old carcases were in better shape. BPDave
You have made a very wise choice by going with a 20ga. My wife & I are the same age as you and your wife; & use 20ga guns for the same reason. My wife has a 26" barrel Remington® SPR220 20ga SxS loaded with Remington 2¾" #3 Buck on her side. For me it's a 18½" barrel 20ga Mossberg® Mdl 500 pump loaded with Federal® 3" Magnum #2 Buck. We can handle & shoot these guns & loads very well = INTRUDERS BEWARE!
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:46 AM   #5
jason_iowa

For a smaller person this may be less intimidating to practice with. Which means they would be more comfortable using it should the situation arise. 20g or even 410 will get the job done. I prefer 2 3/4 12ga 00buck. I have some 3.5 00 buck but you reduce the amount of capacity with 3.5s.

I was at a crime scene where a woman shot her boy friend with a 410 at about 10ft the wad penetrated the guys face. You can imagine what the 00buck did.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:57 PM   #6
ZVP

Thanks to the information passed on by posters here at this Forum, I weighed all the options on paper first and then went out and handled the 12's and the 20's and really asked myself "How limited am I ?"
The semi autos were long and heavy (with Mag extensions) and once you hang all the goodies on them , they REALLY got HEAVY! Pumps were just a tad lighter but there was still the length and weight to contend with.
I looked into 12 Ga doubles and BINGO! the weight was manageable!
I then considered my Wife and recoil. Me too as I have a bad sholder and the 20 Ga started looking pretty good!
Short 20 Gauge BBLS really lightened the guns and recoil again reared it's uglu head. Don't want too much recoil!
I found a nice Stoger SxS 20 Ga Uplander with 26" tubes( Just an inch shorter than a 20" BBL 870) and the weight is a bit over 6 lbs and the controlability of the longer barrels and the additional power made sense!
I brokered a heck of a deal! $200 so I figgured why not give her a try? This might be the ideall shotgun for HD for us!
Gonna go test fire it later todaay, Can't wait!
Will report back and see if I chose right?
ZVP
Old February 10, 2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Jo6pak

I am of the opinion that the 20ga is a better choice than 12ga for most people. A 20 will give you more than enough "oomph" to get the job done, with alot less recoil.
The difference of a little lighter shot charge is more than made up for by the reduced recoil, controllability, and confidence that is inpired by being able to put more shells thru it in practice situations.

People always seem to get pushed into getting the biggest hammer, when most of the time a smaller hammer and a bit of skill will fit the needs better.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Lee Lapin

Unfortunately the popularity of the 20 ga. for HD seems not to be equivalent to its capabilities in that role...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:18 PM   #9
dalecooper51

Most of the 20's I have had were about a pound lighter than my 12's (6lbs vs 7.5lbs). Recoil was just as stout if not worse than the heavier 12 ga guns.