The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2013, 04:56 PM   #1
deepforks

New Press!!

so i just ordered my redding big boss II and can't wait to get it. wanted one for awhile so i pulled the trigger. i sold my lyman t-mag II last night to help with the funding. i guess it doesn't make sense to go from a turret to single, but i did it anyways i am planning on getting some of the hornady bushings for my dies and the adapter for the press. anyone use these and if so, how do you like them? i haven't seen any bad press on them. so would anyone else have done what i did? lol!!! the guy i sold it to looked confused when he asked why i was selling it.
Old February 2, 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Never let go

Never let go of one anchor until you have a firm grip on another anchor first.

We don't know what you are loading or the quantities, so whether going from turret to single is wise or not is moot. But considering the current situation, I have to ask, are you certain you are not going to have to wait six months to get your Redding?

In my opinion, a manually indexing turret is not that much faster or more versatile than a single stage press, particularly when you have the breech-lock bushings.

So, I think what you did could make sense (depending on what you load and the quantities). If you have cartridges which do not need the extreme leverage of the Big Boss and that you want larger quantities, I see an auto-indexing turret in your future, if not a progressive. But no, not crazy.

However, letting your only press (I assume) go without the new one firmly in hand. That's unwise.

Lost Sheep

I just read post #3. Cool. You made the same decision I would have made were I in your position with your needs. My needs (and point of view) are different, of course. So, if you find you want greater quantities for your 9mm, consider a Lee Classic Turret. It is the best auto-indexing 4-station turret press currently made, at any price, bar none.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; February 2, 2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old February 2, 2013, 06:17 PM   #3
deepforks

i load all rifle cartridges (243/270/300win/22-250) and soon will do some 9mm. hoping to have a 300rum in the near future. the press is in stock, so i'm not concerned about that. regardless, i know of a few spare presses that friends own, if i had to use one. i never really took advantage of the turret to begin with, so it's no big deal. i don't load mass quantities at once, so i don't ever see a progressive being in my future. i also dont shoot enough pistol to be concerned with it. like i said, it may not make sense to some, but i wanted it, so i bought it. i'm happy with the decision

***just checked midway, and it's already shipped.***

Last edited by deepforks; February 3, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old February 3, 2013, 05:06 PM   #4
burrhead

As to the Hornady bushing dies, I have a L&L AP therefore I use them. I like them so much I will eventually adapt my Rock Chucker to the Hornady system. They make die set up so much easier and consistent that they're well worth the cost and have no drawbacks in my experience. I think you'll really like them.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old February 3, 2013, 05:41 PM   #5
deepforks

i better. i just ordered 12 of them and the press adapter bushing
Old February 4, 2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Slamfire

I bought a Redding T-7 but kept my Lyman T Mag II.

Outside of primers falling out of the cup and on to the floor, I have no problems with the Lyman T Mag as it is an excellent press.

Have fun with your new press, but I will bet you are going to miss the turret.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:01 PM   #7
deepforks

so i got the new press mounted and installed the new hornady press bushing. before i get to gettin', i'm wondering if i ought to pull it out and put a drop of blue locktite on the press bushing threads? i highly doubt it will ever back out, but you never know. anyone ever do this, or is it overkill?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (243.6 KB, 52 views)
Old February 14, 2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Inspector3711

Overkill. When you install and adjust the dies you will tighten the jam nut. The die isn't going anywhere at that point.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Sevens

Quote:
so would anyone else have done what i did? lol!!!
I would not have done what you did. I would not have bought ANY turret press other than a Lee Classic Turret. In my opinion, a turret press that doesn't have low-cost and easily swapped turrets is NOTHING more than a single stage press with a whole bunch of holes in the top. If you only load one or two chamberings and never EVER any more, there's some sense in it. Otherwise, I can't understand even the existence of a turret press that does not have quickly-swappable turrets.

As for the Big Boss II, that's a heckuva good press. I love everything about it except for the price. In comparison to a Lee Classic Cast, I can't find a reason to purchase the Redding. I'm quite certain that it's a near-perfect tool and it will give LIFETIMES of great service and if taken care of, the grandkids of your kids could still use it.

Please consider using capitals, punctuation, line breaks and even paragraphs in your posts. It's FAR easier for everyone to read and makes the most of this fine forum.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:11 PM   #10
serf 'rett

Got the Hornady bushing kit when I ordered the Rock Chucker, but let the kit sit in a box for 18 months. First time I used it - I ordered more bushings the next day.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:59 PM   #11
LE-28

Quote:
As to the Hornady bushing dies, I have a L&L AP therefore I use them. I like them so much I will eventually adapt my Rock Chucker to the Hornady system.
Who make the adaptors for this? I am extreemly interested.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:09 AM   #12
serf 'rett

LE

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/858...on-bushing-kit
Old February 15, 2013, 11:00 PM   #13
droptrd

New Press!!

Congrats on the press! Redding is good stuff. I have a couple redding dies. They're fantastic

I also use a Hornady LNL with the bushings. I love them.