The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 27, 2013, 02:12 AM   #1
GunXpatriot

Good Price For An SKS?

So I was at a gun show in Albany today, looking for a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with a wood stock, which I guess is the "all-purpose" model. Never found it.

Anyway, I'd also been considering an SKS, because of the whole (un)S.A.F.E. Act that was passed here. Is seemed like one of the few things with decent firepower that was legal, had a 10 round mag (grandfathered) and couldn't be classified as an "assault weapon". So I seen this Chinese SKS with a 16 inch barrel. I think the actual length was 16 1/2, and the bayonet ground off. Nice wood. Now that I'm researching it, apparently it's a paratrooper model. price was $375. I've been looking on Google and it seems like a lot of paratroopers don't have the bayonet still attached for some strange reason.

I was going to buy it, but after seeing the missing bayonet, I wasn't "feeling" it so much. I kind of wanted it in original configuration... Looking back, the price probably wasn't that bad for the "current times". As we were driving home, I was looking around gunbroker on my phone and seen what I assume to have been a Type 56 (because of the Triangle with Chinese characters on the side?) with gorgeous wood, maybe one ding on the whole gun. The gun was probably about 95% shape... Person won it for $440. I could've won it for $450, but talked myself out of it because out the door with shipping and transfer, the thing would've costed me $520 + ammo, and probably would've grabbed plenty.

Should I have wen't for this rifle? Or should I not beat myself up over it? I'm also seeing Yugos go for upwards of $550, mostly at $600. If the Chinese models are going for $450, I can't imagine what a Russian would go for, if you could find one...

What do you guys think? If I could get a nice Chinese SKS out the door for about $500, would you jump on it, given the current situation as well as the situation in NY? I know these SKS are not nearly as plentiful as Mosins, so they seem to be going up and I think people will be holding onto them?
Old January 27, 2013, 03:04 AM   #2
chadio

FWIW - I paid $319 for an unfired Norinco Para about 6 months ago.

It had a few modifications

- bipod that attached to the bayo lug
- removable muzzle brake
- removable magazine
- metal handguard

... all of which I reversed, and put it back to original configuration. Fortunately it came with original parts except for the fixed magazine - I had to find one. Quite pleased with the rifle, the way it operates, the way it shoots, etc. Plus, it is the cooooolest looking battle rifle of all time (methinks)

The prices seem to be about $100 more than they were 6 months ago, for an SKS of any origin.
Old January 27, 2013, 04:48 AM   #3
felixx

New Zealand prices FYI
http://www.guncity.co.nz/xurl/functi...0/content.html
Old January 27, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4
GunXpatriot

That's how much they cost over there!? Are they scarce in New Zealand?
Old January 27, 2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Ricklin

New Zealand dollar= .84 US dollar. Has been climbing since we have fired up the printing presses here in the US.
In 2009 it was around .55
Old January 28, 2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Hairbag

Wait a few more weeks they will be the same price here! LOL
Old January 28, 2013, 08:42 PM   #7
stu925

Keep searching until you find a deal you're comfortable with but don't expect to pay less than $400 anymore. The days of sub $100 SKS rifles are long over. Personally if I were going to spend $500+ I'd go looking for a Russian, not a Chinese. I'd be willing to spend a little more for a Russian or if you can find one an East German (probably one of the rarest SKS rifles). Personally I like My Yugo 59/66, no it doesn't have the chrome lined barrel but that's not a big deal to me and it's probably the lowest priced of any of the SKS rifles, YMMV.

Stu
Old January 30, 2013, 04:27 PM   #8
thump_rrr

We can get refurbished russian SKS's for $199 in Canada.
This is what mine looks like with a nice unmolested crown.

Tags
good , price , sks