The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Denise1040

Bersa thunder or Walther P22?

Hello,
I am new here. I have two questions. First, getting ready to buy my first semi-automatic pistol. Have a 38 revolver now. Trying to decide between a bersa thunder and a walther P22. Would appreciate imput on them both. And second, what about a crimson tracer?
Old January 27, 2013, 08:21 PM   #2
9mm

I had a Walther P22, it was good. Bersa makes good guns from what I hear, magazines would be harder to find, never seen one in store. Walther is subbed by S&W I believe.

If I had to do it over again, I try the Bersa or Ruger Mark III, the Walther has very small grips for XS/S woman hands/childs, it fit me fine with my girly hands. If you have big hands this isn't the gun for you.

I don't like the safety on the Walther, you could still pull the trigger and the hammer slams on the backside w/safety cap out which stops it from striking firing pin.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Brian48

I like my Walther P22. It's a fun little range gun, but if you're considering something in this class, I actually recommend the Ruger SR22 instead. I love this gun and think it's superior to the Walther.

Neither of course. would replace my Ruger MKIIs though. If you don't mind the larger size, any variant of the Ruger MKII/III series would be a great choice.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

+1 Brian48. I do enjoy my P22, and It has run trouble free with the right ammo, but I think the Ruger improvements on It make they SP22 a better gun.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 27, 2013, 10:26 PM   #5
BGutzman

I don't own a Walther but I do own a Bersa Thunder, its a heck of a good gun. Well worth the price. I wouldn't sell mine. Id try to rent them both and see what you think... The Bersa is hard to beat!
Old January 27, 2013, 11:55 PM   #6
bigghoss

I own a Bersa/Firestorm .22 and it's been 100% from the start. I've only ever heard good things about the walther. You can get replacement mag followers for the walther mags so they'll hold 12 or 13 rounds.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:11 AM   #7
L_Killkenny

Between the 2 the Bersa wins. Nothing personal against the P22 but they did have well documented problems with them. Are they fixed? I don't know but I do know there have been no such issues with the Bersa. Mine is 100% with MiniMags.

But I dearly wish the Ruger SR22 had been out when I bought my Bersa. Better gun from all reports, better sights and 2 mags.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:25 AM   #8
CajunBass

We got my wife a Bersa Firestorm 22. That little rascal ran like a watch as long as she used CCI mini mags, but I admit that it would choke from time to time with bulk pack ammo. I didn't think it was a problem since she used the CCI stuff for carry anyway (This is not about using a 22 for self-defense, so don't bother to lecture me.). That little Bersa was great. We found a couple of magazines at a gun show with no problem. They weren't cheap, but they weren't outrageous either.

She shot the snot out of that gun for years. She put thousands of rounds through it before she upgraded to a Glock 19 for carry. Still the Bersa went along on most range trips even then.

We looked at the Walther P22, but just didn't like it. It just seemed "cheap" to me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 28, 2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
Walther is subbed by S&W I believe
The P22 is made by Umarex.

Walthers are currently imported by Smith & Wesson, but that is transitioning to Walther Arms, a new Walther subsidiary that has been set up in the US to import and market Walther-branded firearms.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:02 PM   #10
PSP

Of the two, neither are favorites, but the Bersa is, IMHO, a bit better for plinking than the Walther. The Walther was only so-so in accuracy and reliability and was a pain to dismantle. The Bersa is about the same in accuracy but is more reliable and much faster to takedown.

Bersa had a problem with barrels awhile back. AFAIK the problem is fixed.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Bond007

What are you planning to do with the pistol? If it is just range time, I would echo the calls to look at a Ruger MKIII. It is a far superior range pistol than either. (I dare say they set the standard for 22 range pistols.)

If you're planning on making it available for defensive work, of the two you listed, the Bersa would likely prove better. If that is the case, and you like the Walther P22, perhaps you should look at the Walther PK380.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:21 PM   #12
WIL TERRY

OF THE TWO, the pick of the litter hands down is the BERSA, PERIOD.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:33 PM   #13
certified106

I would place my vote for the Bersa! We have one and absolutely love it!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 29, 2013, 03:49 PM   #14
jib

Firestorm 22 = Bersa 22; same gun.

We have the FS22 and feed it Blazer (CCI) My family learned to shoot on that gun and it has nearly 3,000 rounds down the pipe. My wife and I go out and shoot regularly and the 22 comes with us most of the time.

I carried it for a while with Stingers loaded, but it's just been replace with a Bersa BP9cc. Bersa's may not be finished as well as the big boys, but they work well and they cost a lot less.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:35 PM   #15
Comanche

What I hate about my Bersa thunder .380 duo tone.

I love the little bugger but the only thing I really hate about it are the crappy, small three dot sights.....they are pretty much worthless in the evening and of course in the dark.

Does anyone make tritium night sights for these in .380 model?

A link would really help.

Would not be opposed to purchasing a new slide with them installed as anything is better than what I have now.

Any thoughts on the crimson trace laser?

I just don't like replacing batteries and would rather have the three dot tritium sights over a laser sight that may not be operational when you need it.

This is for my Bride so I need it to be there for her if she needs it.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:47 PM   #16
Denise1040

Hello,
Ok I have made my decision with some help from you guys. I bought the bersa thunder today. I even got lucky and the mom and pop gun shop I got it at, had whatever kind of ammo you were looking for. Was able to get a couple boxes of CCI Mini Mags!!! Thanks guys. Will let you know when I try it out at the range. Hopefully this weekend.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:17 PM   #17
Sparks1957

You're going to love it. Make sure you clean it thoroughly before you take it out, since Bersas tend to be dripping with preservative for their trip from Argentina.
Old January 30, 2013, 01:40 AM   #18
michael t

Bersa wins as for mags The importer Eagle Imports has them normally or
http://condorsflight.com has them
Condors has holsterd hats and all things Bersa. The 22 will work in a 380 Thunder holster and the thunder grips will fit it. Many members at Bersachat.com use for practice and carry the 380.
Old January 30, 2013, 04:26 AM   #19
lechiffre

Quote:
OF THE TWO, the pick of the litter hands down is the BERSA, PERIOD.
I agree

do the interns get glocks ?