The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 03:28 PM   #51
sigxder

Didn't see the original post was 2 years old. The 9mm HST's in 147gr. do not overpenetrate like the older 147gr. bullets. And expand nearly perfectly. Still alot of bad stuff on line about the older 147gr. rounds that often did not open up and acted like FMJ rounds. The 147gr. HST, Gold Dots, and Rangers do very well in performance and are in fact preferred over the lighter bullets by many LE organizations and civilian professionals alike. Good performance with less recoil than some of the +P or +P+ loads. Plus they aren't as hard on the guns or shooters.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:40 PM   #52
Sharpsdressed Man

I'm always concerned with flash and noise. The 147's are a LOT quieter, especially when fired in the house. ............................. [IMG][/IMG]
Old January 29, 2013, 10:52 AM   #53
Madcap_Magician

Those are some snazzy Hi-Power grips, there!

Nice thread necromancy, everyone.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:49 PM   #54
FairWarning

124s without a doubt. It's the only weight I use for 9mm now other than my existing stockpile, which includes a few 147s and plenty of 115s of various types.
Old October 29, 2015, 03:32 PM   #55
Nevadajim775

124 grain vs 147 Federal Hydrashok-HST

Having watched countless videos of ballistic gel test as well as water filled milk jugs both with and without a number of denim sheets of covering and many post made on several firearm forums. I'll have to go with the Federal Premium 124 grain 9mm HST hands down on overall performance including FBI's standard for penetration min and max, plus excellent expansion. But, I'll have to admit though in my many years of experience, several major brands and types of 9mm ammo can stop an assault with proper shot placement. In my years in law enforcement I have seen and investigated far more homicides that were committed with a 22 long or 22 long rifle ammo than any other ammo combined. Shotgun caused deaths resulted in massive injuries needless to say, but small calibers such as 22, 32 and 25 auto's have been the weapons of choice. Now that all goes back to the mid to late 60's. Ammo and firearms have changed considerably since the.
Old October 29, 2015, 08:29 PM   #56
DA/SA Fan

I use 147 grain XTPs. They are hard to expand at lower velocities so I use the Underwood +P+ version of it. I really don't care how much excess energy might be wasted with deeper penetration. If there is a .50 or .60 caliber expanded bullet hole exiting the bad guy all the better to stop him. I like heavy for caliber at light for caliber speed in all my handguns. If I were to worry about "over penetration" I would just hit the assailant with a 2x4.