The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1
deerslayer303

This is how I spent MLK day, how about you?

Doin some SMELTING! And another successful operation without an unfortunate SMELTING ACCIDENT

Old January 21, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Woody55

That looks pretty awesome.

I just spent the day at work. One guy bought a new Benelli shotgun, and we talked about it. That's about it for gun stuff.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:37 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

I worked today. Though yesterday I spend the better part of the day shooting my cast lead.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4
gun-nut

Nice corn cob for them 'rich' folks Seeing pic's like that really pull me in closer to casting my own.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:26 PM   #5
deerslayer303

Naw that pan see's double duty, I'll make corn bread in it tonight for dinner!
Old January 21, 2013, 08:13 PM   #6
CS86

Wow thats a lot of lead. I wish I had a good resource for lead. The tire shops are slim on lead and I'm not sure where else to check. I've thought about checking out at the recycle plant. just haven't done it yet.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Mike / Tx

Looks like a great day to me.

CS86,

There are some great folks here and there in the forums who put up wheel weight ingots for sale. Most times it is around $1 or so a pound delivered. IF you think about it, the cost of gas, time spent looking around, and possibly picking through a pile of weights to sort out the zinc and steel, it isn't a bad deal.

I have purchaserd most of what I have due to this, and because the area I live in already has plenty of older folks casting years before I got into it. THey seem to have the weight business sewed up. So if I wanted to pour my own, I had to do something.

Check the classifieds and vendors section on some of the forums and look for feedback on the sellers as well. The Castboolits site has several good vendors on it.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:53 AM   #8
CS86

Thanks Mike,

What about Tin. The only place I know of so far that supplies it is Midway. Are there some other good resources for tin that you have?
Old January 22, 2013, 01:40 PM   #9
lee n. field

What setup are you using to melt that lead?

I've got a portable electric stovetop, and it just doesn't work fast enough for any significant production.

(Oh, yeah. My MLK day was spent trying to fix someone's spam problem with their Exchange server. I'd much rather be smelting or casting. But, it was also below 10 degrees F.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 22, 2013, 05:29 PM   #10
deerslayer303

Quote:
What setup are you using to melt that lead?
That is a "grillsmith" Outdoor fish fryer from wally world 39 bucks. Comes with a shallow stainless steel pot (not the big turkey size pot), basket, thermometer (<<for frying). Its pretty good though, steel stand and cast iron burner. It will GIT ER DONE too. The pot is a cast iron dutch oven I got from cracker barrel a while back and the corn cob pan came from Cracker Barrel too. The long handle stainless steel spoons and ladle came from Walmart over in the camping section.
And when I would get a pot full of melt skimmed I would throw a whole block of Gulf wax in and a big handful of sawdust and FLAME ON!!
Old January 25, 2013, 09:50 AM   #11
reloader28

Thats the exact same thing I was doing. Except I was melting WW.
Out of ingots, boolits to make, and it was a nice day. Now I have about half a 5 gallon bucket of 1/2lb mini muffin ingots. Its a good start.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:08 PM   #12
TXGunNut

Day well spent! I've smelted a few hundred pounds in a 20# pot and it's time to move up. Cast iron cheaper at Wally World, BTW.
Good plan on the metal recyclers, CS86. They'll have lead and very likely tin as well.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.