The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 19, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1
rc1988

Just picked up my first HK!

hey guys, just picked up my first HK yesterday. Its a USP 40 compact, I always wanted one and found one for a great price yesterday. Field stripping was a little difficult at first, due to me being a glock guy, but i eventually got that take-down pin out of there hahaha. The only thing I was a little disapointed with, was upon a insepection of the firearm when i got home, i noticed a blemish-like mark on the barrel hood, ill show you guys a pic. Im not sure if its just a wear mark from rubbing against the slide? I know its purely cosmetic and wont affect the functioning of the weapon at all, im just anal with all of my weapons. EEKK! Anyway, I will give you guys a range report soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hk.jpg (19.8 KB, 77 views)
Old January 19, 2013, 12:43 PM   #2
PSP

The USPc is an excellent pistol. Takedown should be very quick and easy. Once you do it a couple times you'll be faster. Enjoy your new HK.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:16 PM   #3
armed_librarian

Congrats

The USPc .40 was my first pistol. It's a great gun. I also struggled at first with the take down, but any more it only takes seconds.
Is it going to be a carry gun? If so, a suggestion. If you're like me, I carry with one in the tube, hammer down and safety off. That first double action trigger pull can be a bit long and rough. When you go to the range take a mag or two and de-cock after every round and fire double action only. Get a feel for that trigger pull. It took me a few rounds, but at this point, my accuracy is the same either way.
Enjoy your new gun. You got a good one.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:32 PM   #4
tristar viper

I just shot a USP compact 9 yesterday. Fine, fine pistol.....one of the finest I personally have ever shot. Absolutely LOVED the trigger, and the accuracy is superb.
So much so, I went to the Bud's website to look for one :}
Old January 20, 2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
noticed a blemish-like mark on the barrel hood, ill show you guys a pic.
The finish is going to wear off the top of the barrel hood as you shoot the gun anyway.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:52 PM   #6
DATL

Great gun! It's a gem. Like Fishbed said unfortunately the finish on mine wore pretty bad and I was CAREFUL. I wouldn't worry about it though. If you really like the gun just use it and don't worry about it- if yours starts to wear or dull, just get a nice duracoat or cerakote put on it. I have not had a black gun yet that I didn't end up doing that, or wanting to do that to!
Old January 21, 2013, 12:25 AM   #7
BarryLee

I’ve got a full-size USP40 and it has been a very nice gun to shoot actually was a little surprised how much I enjoy it at the range. Yes, the finish has worn some on mine, but hey that’s what you call character.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 21, 2013, 02:04 AM   #8
TheRaskalKing

Welcome to the club!

I love my USPc in 9mm. Perfect carry gun IMHO- Large enough that it still handles well, small enough to easily conceal, great accuracy, extremely reliable, great track record, good aftermarket support... I'm a big fan! Congratulations!
Old January 21, 2013, 04:58 AM   #9
NWCP

Don't worry about the blemish, it'll blend in soon enough. HK's overall are excellent weapons. I've owned the 40 compact and still own a USP40 full size. I went from the 40c to a USP45c and now carry the HK45C. They are all reliable and accurate beyond my ability. Good luck with your HK and enjoy. One warning, once you get used to your HK USP40c you're going to want more HK's. The HK USP was initially designed for the 40S&W so you've got the ideal platform for the 40 cal. The full size 40 would be a nice companion for your carry piece. One for the house and one for the hip. Enjoy!
Old January 21, 2013, 05:10 AM   #10
LRChops

Awesome pistols. I have the USP 40 full size. Obviously designed for combat applications!