The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 12:06 PM   #26
10mm4ever

The best thing Taurus ever put their name on, was a Beretta design. If a slide mounted, hammer drop safety is enough to confuse a person, maybe the gun isn't the problem.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:28 PM   #27
OkieCruffler

I don't believe anyone ever said they were "confused" by it. Some people, myself included, simply prefer the frame mounted safety. Not sure why your confused by that.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:25 PM   #28
Officer's Match

Quote:
The best thing Taurus ever put their name on, was a Beretta design. If a slide mounted, hammer drop safety is enough to confuse a person, maybe the gun isn't the problem.
I didn't see anybody here indicating confusion over the improperly designed Beretta decock/safety. Just that it is ergonimically a mess, requiring either two hands to operate, or shifting the strong hand to manipulate. I strongly suspect if it was Taurus instead of Beretta that made that mistake, the caterwalling could be heard from outer space over what dummies the designers at Taurus must be.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:37 PM   #29
Woody55

Generally I've found the quality of the Berettas to by consistantly higher than that of Taurus.

I recall taking a Taurus 92 of some sort apart and seeing the machine marks made by a milling machine on the frame. And it wasn't subtle. It's like someone was turning the handle on the milling machine as fast as they could get away with. I've never seen a Beretta look like that.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:35 AM   #30
iraiam

Quote:
I didn't see anybody here indicating confusion over the improperly designed Beretta decock/safety. Just that it is ergonomically a mess, requiring either two hands to operate, or shifting the strong hand to manipulate. I strongly suspect if it was Taurus instead of Beretta that made that mistake, the caterwauling could be heard from outer space over what dummies the designers at Taurus must be.
I would say that "improperly designed" is strictly a matter of opinion, when the Beretta 92FS is on safe, the firing pin plunger is turned down and points away from the firing pin, exactly how it was designed. It is one of the most "drop safe" pistols ever manufactured, an important feature on what is usually considered a service pistol.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 17, 2013, 06:14 AM   #31
Guv

Didn't the Walther P-38 introduce this location on dbl action 9mm? Before that the PPK and does anyone carry their 92 with the safety on anyhow? Seems to me a very nitpicking problem to find with the gun. I guess if the safety was the same as the Taurus we'd be discussing 92 operators that had their slide removed by the bad guy!

Last edited by Guv; January 17, 2013 at 06:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old January 17, 2013, 08:03 AM   #32
dbldune

Beretta 92

It's a great gun shoots very well. My first pistol and would like to add a second if my local police every get around to my permit
Old January 17, 2013, 08:18 AM   #33
Officer's Match

Quote:
I would say that "improperly designed" is strictly a matter of opinion, when the Beretta 92FS is on safe, the firing pin plunger is turned down and points away from the firing pin, exactly how it was designed.
I'll elaborate since maybe I wasn't clear. It is not operable by the shooting hand without shifting the grip, and it removes the potential for keeping the pistol in a SA readiness mode unnecessarily.

I'll readily admit the Beretta is cosmetically better (ie toolmarks, etc) but the Taurus uses a better design IMHO which will trump aesthetics any day for me. I'll hasten to point out that my most recent version of the PT92 is a pre-lock and pre-rail model. I do not care for those newer "features".
Old January 17, 2013, 12:00 PM   #34
iraiam

Quote:
does anyone carry their 92 with the safety on anyhow?
Yes, if it's in the holster the safety is on, this is how I was taught and this is how I use and practice with it.

Taking the safety off is the first thing I do when I grab it in the holster, some people don't like the first double action trigger pull, but this issue is easily overcome with practice.

I can draw and accurately fire my Beretta just as fast as my Glock, it's just a matter of training and practice.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; January 17, 2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: stupid typos
Old January 17, 2013, 01:35 PM   #35
Guv

The 92 has a firing pin block and a double action trigger. Why would you carry it on safe ?
Old January 17, 2013, 02:28 PM   #36
Officer's Match

You don't like a single action trigger Guv?
Old January 17, 2013, 03:06 PM   #37
iraiam

Quote:
The 92 has a firing pin block and a double action trigger. Why would you carry it on safe ?
Today 10:00 AM

Mostly because thats how I was trained, and a local competition group I used to shoot with, thier rules state that if the firearm has a safety mechanism it must be used, I can't quote the exact wording, but that is the jist of it.

I stand by my statement that practice and training can easily overcome these issues, at this point it would take alot of re-training myself unecessarily, my Beretta on safe in the holster is just second nature.

Last edited by iraiam; January 17, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:33 PM   #38
SgtLumpy

That lever on my model 92 is a de-cocker. Only time it's needed is if the hammer is cocked and I want it down. Otherwise, the gun rides in it's holster ready to fire, just like a revolver. Trigger block etc keeps it safe.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 17, 2013, 03:46 PM   #39
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I cannot say for the Taurus 92 but I did own the PT101 and loved it. I have owned two 92 Beretta's. A 92F and a 92FS. The FS was the biggest piece of crap I have ever had in semi auto pistols. The 92f was great. The FS jammed constantly and was sent back to Beretta 3 times. The first was due to it shooting 8" low and left at 15 yards. They replaced the barrel and it fixed that. Then it constantly jammed and was sent back two more times. The last tie I got it back it seemed fine, but I sold it and took a loss just to see it go. I let it go for $250. I swore off their pistols after that. I started buying Sigs and are now happy.

I am not knocking Beretta, I am simply stating that you can get good and bad in ANY brand. This was just my experience with them. The 92F is still going strong, my father shoots it every week or two.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 17, 2013, 04:55 PM   #40
Denezin

For Single Action carry pt92. But if the m9 had that capability id choose it hands down
Old January 17, 2013, 09:04 PM   #41
Guv

Oh no Officer's Match, the single action is great, I really learned shooting double action though from my Uncle how was border patrol. He'd say "you don't need your thumb to shoot that gun" (Mod 66 S&W)! I use the safety on my Beretta the same as the de-cocker on my Sig.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:31 AM   #42
Grump

My experience with the Taurus was that it was every bit the equal of the Beretta. The only minus to the Taurus was, IIRC, if you want to carry it hammer down, you must control the hammer (I prefer the thumb/finger pinch, LETTING THE TRIGGER FORWARD immediately after tripping it so the FP safety activates) to drop it.

But if you are a Condition 1 guy, that's not a factor.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:15 PM   #43
Budda

I have an older no de cock pt99 and like it better than the beretta because of the safty and I can Cary it cocked and locked for single action. If you keep the locking block lubed it will last a long time and that is for either Taurus or beretta. The Taurus .40 100/101 have some feeding issues but the 92/99 Taurus like mine are just as reliable and accurate as beretta. I have shot 2k rounds through mine without cleaning it and no failures of any kind. I only oil the block. And I have since cleaned it. It is my bug. Period.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:21 PM   #44
Budda

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/TaurusPT92.htm
Old January 19, 2013, 02:31 PM   #45
Patrice

Taurus PT-92. At one point, the guns were identical; the PT-92 was simply a Beretta with the Taurus name on it. No decockers, and both had the thumb-safety mounted in the frame. My preference for the PT-92 is secondary to Beretta moving the safety-decocker to the slide.--Patrice
Old January 19, 2013, 04:57 PM   #46
Coltman 77

I cast my vote for the Beretta 92FS. Bought my first one in 1989, got used to the safety decocker in about two minutes.

In fact, the 92FS is one of the safest pistols on the planet, IMO.

I've bought two more since then and they are top tier handguns. Accurate, easy to shoot well and devour any ammo they're fed.

If the Beretta costs a few more dollars than a Taurus, I'd gladly pay more for one.

Good luck OP.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old February 3, 2013, 09:20 PM   #47
Pilot

I stayed away from the Beretta 92FS since the early/mid 90's when I became more serious about shooting pistols of all types. The main reason was the position and operation of the safety. Well, after over twenty years of dismissing the thing, I finally bought one, and couldn't be happier. It is mainly a range gun, but I may use it for home defense and occassional carry. I am not going to use the safety for anything but a decocker. I don't need to learn another way for a safety to operate. I will carry this gun safety off, round chambered, hammer down like my other DA/SA decocker pistols.

The fit, finish, and smoothness of operation impress me as well as the accuracy and reliability. This gun begs to be shot rapid fire, and is a pretty instinctive pointer. I really like the big Beretta. I only have seen the Taurus at gun shops, and a relative has one, but I have never shot one nor spent any time really examining them so can't comment. From a distance it seems like a decent gun.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:18 PM   #48
jimbob24

Call me crazy guys, but I love the fact that Beretta mounted the safety on the slide! I personally think its the best design on a handgun ever. On top of that I've never shot any other pistol as accurate or well as the Beretta. I've shot the Taurus version and didn't feel comfortable with it at all. Granted, I didn't spend that much time with it, but personally I've never had a more comfortable handgun than the Beretta 92 series.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:55 PM   #49
Adamantium

Taurus in a heartbeat. Berettas are well known for having a bad service department and their guns have always been hit or miss. Of course I won't post any proof to back up my claim but everyone knows that invoking brand names is enough to get the job done.

But seriously, get the gun you want and then make sure to go out and shoot it. Both are good guns. If you take some of these opinions too seriously you've missed the whole point of gun ownership.