The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 13, 2013, 03:32 PM   #1
claymore1500

If the feds want to pass laws, here is one for them

My thoughts on a bill I would like to see introduced and passed into law, (although I doubt it would get out of comity due to that old "two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner" thing)

A bill:

Any, and all public officials, city,state, and federal, will be subjected to a trial in the court of "Public opinion". Based on their record and service to the people they are under oath to represent (Not rule).

Accusations will be put forth in all forms of media, unbiased, and factual.

After a predetermined period of exposure to the general public, and time allotted to process the information, a vote should be held as to whether charges should be brought up to a panel of judges (Elected by the people, and held to the same opportunity for trial), This would be binding and official,

At trial, the judges would hear the same information as voted on, By the people. The judges would then decide if the accused is holding to his/her oaths in serving the people, as well as protecting and defending the Constitutions at all levels of govt. (city, state, and federal).

No pass will be given, as to the common defense lines "It's for the children" "If it saves one life" and the like.

In the event, the accused is found guilty, they will be charged with treason, and treated accordingly.

End of bill.

While I may be using this idea as a way to address the pending gun control issues, it should be seen as a way to address any and all attacks on "We the people" .

Politicians are elected to serve and represent, they work for us, they have NO right to use their powers to force any personal agenda.

Some one, Some where, referred to the P.O.T.U.S. as "The ruler of the free world", I submit that "The free world", needs no "Ruler" only a Representative.
Old January 13, 2013, 06:16 PM   #2
RampantAndroid

Isn't this called an election?
Old January 13, 2013, 06:38 PM   #3
pnac

Quote:
Isn't this called an election?
Yes it is. Trouble is (1)media reporting is biased or absent,(2) if the media does report it, voters don't pay attention or don't vote at all,(3)with electronic voting and no paper trail, who knows what the vote count really is. Apathy,ignorance and crooked politics all play a part.

A survey I saw recently said Congress was less popular than root canals and cockroaches, yet they continue to get re-elected! Why is that?
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old January 13, 2013, 06:41 PM   #4
sigcurious

Quote:
they have NO right to use their powers to force any personal agenda.
Actually they do. When elections happen they put out a bunch of information and you can look up their voting records(if they're not a first timer) that information lets the people know their agenda and beliefs.
People then vote based on whether or not some or all of those beliefs and agenda lined up with their own.

We as a nation are not of one mind, so often a significant minority are left with representation that does not align entirely or at all with their beliefs. Instead of blaming the politicians, get active, convince your fellow voters to see things your way and write lots of letters to your representatives whether you voted for them or not, and donate to lobbying groups that do represent your beliefs. All else fails, run for office see if your agenda is what people want.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

That's the way to the Terror - see the French Revolution.

We have an electoral process. Use it.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6
claymore1500

First, I will just say that this was a thought, I did not claim perfection, by any means.

Second, I would not call it just an election, in an election, they can lie and sling mud, and do pretty much anything it takes to fool the people to put them in office. Once they are in, all bets are off, they do as they please.

This is more of a job assessment, In the event they are found to be lying to the public, or have lied to gain power, then use that illegally gained power to oppress the very people they have sworn to represent, they are liable to be held in contempt of the people and subjected to a trial for treason.

Something (in my opinion) may cause at least some of them to think about their actions, if presented with the possibilities of prison or execution for treason against the people.

I also believe given the out come of the vote, more people would be willing to take part, instead of having the defeatist attitude brought on by not seeming to matter.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:07 PM   #7
pnac

claymore1500, check the history of the 17th A sometime, there used to be a process for keeping an eye on some of them, at least. Basically we lost, IMHO, vital control of the Senate. And where is most off our trouble coming from now?
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old January 13, 2013, 08:19 PM   #8
sigcurious

There are plenty of mechanisms by which the people legitimately contribute and participate in the politics of this nation and their respective states. If a person lied or you perceived them to lie while in office, don't vote for them next time. Politicians are not immune to the will of the people. It may certainly seem like it when your specific values are not being represented. However, you have to remember there was a majority(in most cases, electoral college majorities excluded) of the people that did think that politician was doing the right thing or better than the other guy/gal would have.

Politicians do have "job assessments" every election cycle that their position comes up, whether its 2, 4 or 6 years it's the assessment is there. If that's not satisfactory, then there are other options such as recall. Not currently an option in your state? Get a movement going so that it becomes an option.

Quote:
Something (in my opinion) may cause at least some of them to think about their actions, if presented with the possibilities of prison or execution for treason against the people.

I also believe given the out come of the vote, more people would be willing to take part,
By your statements it is not even apparent if you actually know what treason is, or that it's defined in the constitution. What you suggest levying the death penalty for is not treason.

Quote:
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.
Quote:
The judges would then decide if the accused is holding to his/her oaths in serving the people, as well as protecting and defending the Constitutions
You state this would be in the name of defending the constitution, yet you fail to recognize what the constitution actually says quite plainly.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:54 PM   #9
claymore1500

Like I said, It was "Just a thought" forget I said it, go about your lives, nothing to see here.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

As Glenn said, the idea carries a hint of mob mentality.

Whoever referred to the President of the United States as a "ruler" was factually incorrect.

In any case, the OP doesn't appear to want to continue discussion.
Closed Thread