The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 18, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Adirondack Autosport

Transporting over state lines MA to NY

Hi, my name is Will, and I'm new here. My background is in cars, as you can tell by my screen name, but I'm pretty sure that my question fits in here. So here it is.

Supposedly My great grandfather worked at Whitney Arms Co. back in the 1950's and was on the design team for a 22 pistol called the Wolverine. My great grandfather was apparently given the seventh unit produced, and the pistol has been passed down through the family until my grandfather passed away and was given to a family friend until either my father or I got our CCW. I'm about to come home from college in Ohio, and I will probably try to obtain a CCW when I go home. The problem is, The pistol is in Massachusetts, and I live in Upstate (Adirondacks) NY. Is there anyone out there that can help me through the legalities of this. I'd like to be able to keep this family air loom for generations to come.
Old December 18, 2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Get your permit, CC (unrestricted) or otherwise. Tell them you have a gun out of state that you'd like added to your permit and give them the serial number and other information they request. Have the firearm shipped from Mass to a FFL dealer in NY. The dealer will transfer the firearm to you for a small fee, probably about $25.
Old December 18, 2012, 06:13 PM   #3
JimDandy

Ouch. Then move to a state that doesn't require that much hassle for a .22 pistol. You poor people in Chicago, NY, and CA.
Old December 18, 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

There aren't many states where it wouldn't be essentially identical, Jim.

Unless the OP is a resident of Mass and owns the gun in that state, it would require transfer through an FFL in his home state. Most states have some sort of permit process, though it may be faster than NY. Faster or not, the basic process would be the same.
Old December 18, 2012, 06:18 PM   #5
JimDandy

I was referring to the permit. I'm assuming it went to a famiy friend because he couldn't legally own it without one?
Old December 18, 2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's probably true.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:41 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

As noted, since the firearm was not specifically bequeathed to you in a will, it must be transferred to you through an FFL in NY state.

The other point that has not been mentioned yet is -- under NO circumstances should you even think about considering bringing it into NY state before you get your permit. NY laws on this are extremely restrictive ... and draconian.
Old December 19, 2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Adirondack Autosport

Thanks for the replays, seems pretty straight forward. And yeah, I had absolutely no plan of bringing the pistol over without getting my CCW first. New York is one of those states you do want to mess around with. I honestly wish that Albany north was a different state (More like NYC, Westchester and Orange were separated from the rest for the state) as things would be so much more relaxed (Taxes wouldn't be so astronomical.... But thats besides the point.) So my next question is. After I get my CCW, anyone know of a trustworthy FFL In between Saratoga and Albany Counties?
Old December 19, 2012, 03:15 PM   #9
JimDandy

Gun Broker will have a list of FFL's you should be able to search for nearby locations. Try and pick a brick and mortar store in your area that won't gouge you too bad.