The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 30, 2012, 08:30 PM   #51
Martowski

Yup, have considered the CGW trigger job on this which I'm sure could change things dramatically. However, just giving a view of how the stock pistol compares with others, as most pistols can be improved with work.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:49 PM   #52
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I own a CZ-75b and have for years, among a number of other autos. My own opinion is that it's a decent firearm, but it's far from my favorite due to the trigger pull (gritty), the long trigger reach, and the distinctively "average" accuracy compared with my other guns.
1) a lot of the newer CZs DO have a gritty double-action trigger. But that grittiness generally smooths out considerably afters a few hundred rounds. That yours is still gritty after several years suggests you're not shooting it much.

2) Long trigger reach IS a drawback to the the design of the DA/SA action, when starting from full hammer down. With models that have the firing pin bock, you can start from the half-cock notch safely, or from cocked and locked, and the long trigger pull is something you only need to cope with when trying to re-strike a dud round. (The decocker models, which are almost identical, internally, all start from the half-cock notch.)

3) Typically, I don't hear people saying their CZs are less accurate than other guns they own. That has certainly not been the case with my CZs. While I have had more accurate guns, it's only been some of the more-pricey ones that have shot better (like a Sphinx, or a SIG P-210-6.)
Old November 30, 2012, 08:54 PM   #53
Xfire68

I did my own trigger job following expert instructions and it only costs $.50 and your time.

I find the trigger on my CZ to be fantastic now.

I have some new striker fired guns coming next week that I will have to get used to. When I shoot my SR9c after shooting my CZ I screw up the first few shots.
Old November 30, 2012, 09:08 PM   #54
Martowski

I find the CZ has a noticeably longer reach in SA pull as well. My beef with the trigger isn't even so much in DA mode as it is in SA mode. The camming action, combined with a bit of a "less than smooth" (maybe not truly gritty) feel is a bit of a turn off for me. Again, I know I can have this rectified but, stock trigger vs. stock trigger, the offerings of many other 9's seems superior to me in the trigger pull category.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:05 AM   #55
FALPhil

I will admit that I do trigger jobs on my CZs. But then, I do trigger jobs on just about every firearm I shoot regularly, so it is no big deal. The camming action that is often associated with CZs is caused by the angle of the sear on the hammer notch. I suspect that this is an artifact of military thinking that the camming action is an additional safety feature.

As has been said before, it can be mitigated with a little elbow grease.
Old December 1, 2012, 08:47 AM   #56
Walt Sherrill

CAJUN GUN WORKS offers some clever, effective after-market parts for CZs that do much to improve trigger pulls and the all-round shooting experience.

http://www.cajungunworks.com/
Old December 1, 2012, 12:31 PM   #57
Xfire68

Quote:
CAJUN GUN WORKS offers some clever, effective after-market parts for CZs that do much to improve trigger pulls and the all-round shooting experience.
With some basic tools and mechanical ability you can do most of those things yourself.

I know some think only a gunsmith can or should work on your guns but, I am a do it yourself kind of guy.

If I had a $5000+ antique I would send it to the gunsmith but, under $1000 and I am willing to try it myself as long as I don't need expensive equipment to do the job.

There are step by step videos on doing a trigger job on a CZ 75B. Cost next to nothing!
Old December 1, 2012, 04:00 PM   #58
tobnpr

I bought a beautiful two-tone one for my son for Xmas two years ago...
on the advice of this forum, actually...
And he hardly ever lets me get my hands on it

Finely engineered weapons. Prompted me to buy a CZ-82, which is no doubt the finest handgun you can buy today for two bills...