The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 22, 2012, 02:21 AM   #1
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Springfield M1A for under $900?

So I'm looking through the pawn shops, not really looking for guns, and I see a Springfield M1A priced just on the null side of $900. So I ask to look at it and not that the manufacture is, in fact, Springfield and not some Norinco cheapo. I'm on the fence about making the leap, seeing as it's priced so cheap yet the stock and bore look fine. I was just wondering if anyone here has any pointers to anything I should look for in terms of wear and breakage.

And enjoy your turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving TFL.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:05 AM   #2
geetarman

You might want to contact Kraigwy about this. He will probably chime in shortly. He is a pretty straight shooter on what you should look for.

If I was looking for another, I would be looking for unusual burnishing or wear of the bolt. That seems to be an real good price and I would be curious why it is so cheap.

I suppose some fault could be well hidden and Kraigwy can really get you looking where you need to look.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 22, 2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Slamfire

I would say take a look at the wear on the parts. Little wear means little risk. All GI parts are an absolute bonus, though you would only be able to tell that the bolt, operating rod, trigger group are GI because they are stamped.

For $900.00, you get a complete rifle?!. Stock, barrel, sights, action, etc.

How about telling me where that pawn shop is to I can drive up there and get it before you figure out what the cost of the parts alone are.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:27 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

If it's a genuine SAI jump on it. If it has any wear problems SAI well fix it for free. All the M1A's have a life time warranty that follows the rifle not just the original owner.

There was a bolt recall on early rifles, call SAI with the serial number and they take care of it.

Bolt rollers can be a problem, keep the roller well greased.

SAI extractors are not the most robust part, replace with usgi part.

Lot of gi stocks floating around for these, both wood and glass.

M1A info here.
http://www.m14tfl.com

Quote:
I would say take a look at the wear on the parts. Little wear means little risk. All GI parts are an absolute bonus, though you would only be able to tell that the bolt, operating rod, trigger group are GI because they are stamped.
Got to be careful with looking at drawing numbers for usgi identification. SAI marks there commercial parts with drawing numbers very similar with usgi. These well have "SA" in the drawing number, if your not familiar with gi drawing numbers it's easy to mistake them for real usgi.

Last edited by madcratebuilder; November 22, 2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old November 22, 2012, 09:53 AM   #5
kraigwy

Quote:
any pointers to anything I should look for in terms of wear and breakage
I got my M1A in 1977, shot it a lot, I mean A LOT. I've worn out barrels (shot out) and I've stretched out some slings.

Other then that I haven't broke anything. It's hard to tell about the barrel with out shooting it. I will tell you 99% of the M1As out there haven't been shot enough to wear out the barrels.

The one's that have are guns owned by High Power shooters, but they normally are matched out (Including mine, the NG converted it to a Super Match). You can tell but that's not saying there is anything wrong with one that has been shot a lot.

Easy way to tell, make sure the gun is empty. Then slowly let the bolt go forward, it shouldn't lock up, or go into battery when you turn loose the op rod. Yet a light hit with the palm of your hand on the op rod will push it into battery.

Check the rear sight, Run it all the way up, then push down firmly on the sight to see if it slides back down easily. If it does, tighten up the sight and try it again. If you can't get it tight enough where you can't push it down, then the sight will have to be replaces.

One should check the pistol to make sure its to specs, also the gas cylinder. (over size pistons don't cost that much).

Even the above checks fail, WHO CARES. Easy and cheap fixes.

I can pretty much tell you, without looking at the gun, if its all there, then its worth $900.

About the only thing I can think of to keep the gun from being worth $900 is if it was stolen, which is highly unlikely because most police departments have a pawn shop details that check for stolen property.

Again unless that rifle has been used by a High Power shooter chances are it hasn't been shot that much. Not that that matters.

If you look at this rifle, its not hard to tell its been shot a time or two, but it still shoots to day a heck of a lot better then I do. It's 35 years old.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 22, 2012, 10:18 AM   #6
ripnbst

Ask for a Black Friday price and if they even knock $10 off the price take it. If they don't improve the price, buy it anyway. You'd be silly not to if you have the money and want an M1A.
Old November 22, 2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Ridge_Runner_5

I paid $803 from Gander Mountain for a used Loaded model last December.

It's expensive to feed, but has class and style not found in most modern battle rifles.
Old November 22, 2012, 07:36 PM   #8
johnnydollar

I'd buy it first, and then try to figure why it was so cheap later. It won't last long at that price.
Old November 22, 2012, 07:54 PM   #9
SmokyBaer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydollar
I'd buy it first, and then try to figure why it was so cheap later. It won't last long at that price.
That's what i'm talkin bout!!
Later on you see you have USGI parts it'll be even a bigger score.
Like was said before... Springfield will repair the rifle if it's hurt.

Bottom line: It has to have magic in your hands.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:15 PM   #10
misterE

Buy it!!!!

That's a great price provided its not obvious junk. Which surely it's not or you wouldn't even be asking about it. These rifles are awesome and you will not regret it at all. Even if you do, you will always be able to sell it quick and get your money back if not a nice profit. I've got 2 already and if I saw one that cheap in decent shape I'd jump all over it if for nothing else just to resale it.
Old November 24, 2012, 01:34 AM   #11
WeedWacker

Bad news. I wasn't paying attention when I first saw it. It's a Norinco. Woulda thought the bayonet lug would have given it away, but I was tired and in a hurry.

But still, $900 for a Chinese M1A copy? The counter guy seemed open to negotiations, but I'm not really willing to put that kind of (read: any) money into one of those things and have to fiddle with it to get it to work properly, let alone replace the parts that will break. So I went to Tristate Outfitters and put their Springer Match on layaway.
Old November 25, 2012, 02:24 PM   #12
lefteyedom

The Chinese M14s are very good rifles. People talk bad about them to feel better about the money they spent in S.A.

If you were going to do high power target matches you would end up replacing/upgrading the same parts as on a S.A.

S.A. are cast the polys are forger, not that I would ever shoot one enough to get the difference out of one,
Old November 25, 2012, 02:47 PM   #13
WeedWacker

chrome lined barrel USGI spec receiver and all that. found that out yesterday... trying to pony up an extra 800 bucks so I can buy it. anyone wanna buy an LCR with crimson trace grips? $600 with IWB holster?