The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 1, 2012, 04:10 PM   #26
XtremeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post
How much more is the complete Kadet?.

I paid $499 for the 9mm pistol,,,
$599 for the Kadet pistol.

Aarond

The complete Kadet is $605 on that site. I cannot justify the increased cost over the conversion, especially if it's a quick change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
I have the 75B, and a PCR, and a friend I shoot with has the SP-01 (all steel version). Nothing wrong with the 75B, but I think the SP-01 is worth the premium. It seems a little more refined, and I like the additional weight in the muzzle.
I wasn't aware that there was more of a difference than just the extra weight and the accessory rail. I will probably go for the SP-01then.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2
Old October 1, 2012, 04:27 PM   #27
aarondhgraham

Quote:
The complete Kadet is $605 on that site. I cannot justify the increased cost over the conversion, especially if it's a quick change.
I'm not trying to change your mind my friend,,,
I was just curious what the kadet pistols are going for these days.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 1, 2012, 04:31 PM   #28
Venom1956

SP-01s have slightly different ergonomics, they also sport a great beavertail which most normal CZ75s lack. I love the beavertail. There is also some differences in construction but I wouldn't worry much over that. Also if you get a SP-01 it is sprung for NATO ammo which is a bit hotter then the normal bulk loads a lighter recoil spring is a good option.

Get the kadet kit you'll LOVE it! Trust us!

CZ75 or SP-01 you really can't go wrong with either. I have the CZ85 Combat and waiting for the SP-01 Shadow to get back in stock @ my favorite shop.

Since you hadn't heard of CZ since a week ago can I ask what tipped you off to our little cult?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 1, 2012, 04:50 PM   #29
Contrast Man

I was in a similar predicament when making my first handgun purchase. I was almost dead set on getting a CZ or Sig with a .22 conversion. That was until I went to the range and rented every gun they had. Still wound up with a CZ but instead of a kadet slide I decided on a Ruger 22/45.

Would I be correct in assuming that you are in IL if you're waiting for a FOID? I'm in the suburbs of Chicago (just outside cook county's reach). If you're nearby, check out Midwest Guns. They're in Lyons. While I wouldn't necessarily purchase a firearm from them (almost always over msrp) they do have the best rental program I've seen as well as a great intro to handguns class.

Their website is midwestguns.com if your curious.
Old October 1, 2012, 06:04 PM   #30
XtremeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom1956 View Post
SP-01s have slightly different ergonomics, they also sport a great beavertail which most normal CZ75s lack. I love the beavertail. There is also some differences in construction but I wouldn't worry much over that. Also if you get a SP-01 it is sprung for NATO ammo which is a bit hotter then the normal bulk loads a lighter recoil spring is a good option.

Get the kadet kit you'll LOVE it! Trust us!

CZ75 or SP-01 you really can't go wrong with either. I have the CZ85 Combat and waiting for the SP-01 Shadow to get back in stock @ my favorite shop.

Since you hadn't heard of CZ since a week ago can I ask what tipped you off to our little cult?

It sounds like the SP-01 is a good improvement over the 75B. I came in here asking about handguns for home defense and had a few requirements. I wanted full metal, 9mm, full size, accessory rail, and under $700. The options were narrowed down to either the Beretta or the CZ. I doubt there are many other guns that match this description. At this point, I would really have to like the Beretta in order to choose it over the CZ and forfeit the conversion option. I doubt that will happen.

Any idea which spring I should buy for it, or should I leave it as is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrast Man View Post
I was in a similar predicament when making my first handgun purchase. I was almost dead set on getting a CZ or Sig with a .22 conversion. That was until I went to the range and rented every gun they had. Still wound up with a CZ but instead of a kadet slide I decided on a Ruger 22/45.

Would I be correct in assuming that you are in IL if you're waiting for a FOID? I'm in the suburbs of Chicago (just outside cook county's reach). If you're nearby, check out Midwest Guns. They're in Lyons. While I wouldn't necessarily purchase a firearm from them (almost always over msrp) they do have the best rental program I've seen as well as a great intro to handguns class.

Their website is midwestguns.com if your curious.
Thanks! I will check them out. I'm also in the suburbs, New Lenox to be exact, although I work in Downers Grove. It's too bad I can't even handle a handgun here until I get my FOID card.

Old October 1, 2012, 06:12 PM   #31
Venom1956

You can leave it as is. It'll run fine. Its just a popular thing to switch out, FWIW all the CZcustom guns have lighter springs installed because they are not geared towards NATO specs.

Ha. come to think of it totally IGNORE what I said about springs get the SP01 and Kadet and love it. Comeback after a few thousands rounds then we can start talking springs!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 1, 2012, 06:24 PM   #32
marine6680

Did you not make it over the border to get hands on time with some pistols?

The conversion kit is not a bad way to go, but neither is a dedicated 22 pistol. As was said, any trigger time is beneficial, so using the same frame and trigger is not a necessity, just a extra nicety.

Remember that using the conversion kit limits your options should you choose to get a lower power hammer spring. A #15 is reliable with centerfire, but #17 or #18 is needed to reliably fire 22. (stock is #22, so a #18 is still a big improvement to trigger pull)

Also remember that 22lr is not very powerful... so a polymer frame isn't a bad thing. Personal preference is always the decider though.

The MKIII is a good option and is metal framed... the 22/45 is a MKIII with a different lower frame... Polymer but shaped like a 1911 frame.

I have the SR22 and find it an excellent 22 pistol. Put 450rds though it this weekend.

For me... I just like having more firearms and a dedicated pistol means more in my collection.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:55 PM   #33
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Have you ever shot a CZ with the Kadet Kit installed?
Pilot,
I assume this question was directed to me seeing that you quoted something I said.

Yes I have used a CZ Kadet Kit, as a matter of fact it's still sitting in my gun safe.
I do get it out every now and then to wipe it down to make sure it's not rusting.

I also had a 22 conversion for the 1911, I sold it and the extra mags I had for it.

As for now I have four 22 handguns, had five but sold one.

As I stated earlier I prefer my rimfires and centerfires to be seperate guns.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 2, 2012, 11:27 AM   #34
Pilot

I understand Bob. We all have our personal preferences. I like dedicated .22's also, and have several, but really enjoy the Kadet Kit on my 75B.
Old October 2, 2012, 01:15 PM   #35
pilpens

I like dedicated pistols vs caliber conversion tops on 1 frame. I do not like disassembly/assembly every time I switch calibers.
========
It would be nice to have the same style pistol for both rimfire and centerfire like a 1911/22 + 1911/9mm or 45 but as others have said, it is not necessary. The difference in recoil makes them feel like they are completely different guns. Having different manual of arms is not too difficult to overcome when switching pistols. I have found that shooting my MK II right after shooting my buckmark, I tend to look for the mag release on the frame at the base of the trigger guard but it only takes a couple of magazines to reacquaint myself with the pistol. When switching between centerfire and 22, I find it less of of an issue.
========
If I have the cash to burn and can start over, I would get a 1911/9mm and 1911/22 (adjustable sights) with exactly the same manual of arms as the centerfire and that the 22 version is of good quality(accuracy, reliability, and durability).
========
PS: My main SD/HD/CC pistol is a DA/SA which manual of arms is simpler than the pistols (1911) I shoot the most at the range. I am still on the look out for a DA only pistol for CC to further simplify use but am not in a hurry switch.
========
If you do not care to match the centerfire with the 22, then Ruger MKII/MKIII (1st), Ruger 22/45 (2nd), Browning Buckmark (3rd).

Last edited by pilpens; October 2, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:30 PM   #36
XtremeRevolution

The decision to get the conversion for the cz75 just got more difficult. Why should I spend $355 for a conversion when I can get a Colt 1911 .22 for $340 with a 12 round mag?

http://www.kygunco.com/umarex-colt-1...5-barrel-50213

Old October 2, 2012, 04:49 PM   #37
marine6680

Not made by Colt... just Colt branded... made by Umarex.

The GSG version is rebranded by other companies Like Sig.

I would get the GSG as its cheaper.

I think they are all made of Zamak... a zinc alloy. It works but any casting flaws can cause cracks.

The Rock Island version is steel or aluminum, but is milled out to make it lighter.

There are a lot of 22 choices... some good, some bad... research any choices you are considering.
Old October 2, 2012, 04:55 PM   #38
XtremeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680 View Post
Not made by Colt... just Colt branded... made by Umarex.

The GSG version is rebranded by other companies Like Sig.

I would get the GSG as its cheaper.

I think they are all made of Zamak... a zinc alloy. It works but any casting flaws can cause cracks.

The Rock Island version is steel or aluminum, but is milled out to make it lighter.

There are a lot of 22 choices... some good, some bad... research any choices you are considering.
When I first started looking for a primary handgun, I wanted a 1911, but discovered that the price was way out of my range. I can get one in .22 for cheaper than the conversion kit. I'm not sure what to do now. I can see myself easily blowing through 500 rounds a month with one of these.

Definitely going to do more research. Fortunately, I have plenty of time to do that until my FOID card comes in.

Last edited by XtremeRevolution; October 2, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old October 2, 2012, 06:42 PM   #39
marine6680

Well... thats plenty of reason to get a 1911 in 22 then.

I read they are a little less reliable overall and a little more ammo picky, but work well enough for practice and the range.

Here is a couple links for the Rock Island...
Buds
Cheaper than dirt

I think the one on Buds looks pretty slick. Steel and aluminum, no zinc alloy like the others.

Do some reading on it, I have only read a little about it so far, so I can't really say if its good to go or not.
Old October 2, 2012, 08:05 PM   #40
PT-92

Quote:
aarondhgraham

There are many ways to go but this is my favorite,,,
I am a huge fan of matching rimfire-centerfire guns,,,
So it was a no-brainer when I wanted a 22-9mm pair of pistols.

I decided not to mess with an adapter,,,
I went this route.

CZ-75B in 9mm,,,
CZ-75B Kadet in .22 LR,,,
Fantastic pistols that run any ammo.

Yesterday morning I took a young man shooting,,,
We ran 100 rounds of Tula steel case through the 9mm,,,
And close to 400 rounds of Federal Bulk Pack through the Kadet.

Not one stoppage of any kind.

'Nuff said?

Aarond
I just finished researching (thoroughly yet is there any other way?) .22lr semis earlier in the year. After lots of research, I "wanted" to settle on an all-metal .22lr gun as I have read varying reports concerning 'long-term durability' of "some" of the many .22lr full-size guns on the market. Only two surfaced in my research that looked to meet the criteria of a durable all-metal semi but, to be honest, they were just too expensive for my current situation (don't cry for me Argentina as they say)--the first is that beautiful CZ and the other is a very nice Rock Island Armory 1911-22 often overlooked from what I can tell (RIA is exploding in growth with an American Plant being built as well and they are now in that elite league with the "Big Boys"). I decided, however, to go with the GSG or SIG (same gun) 1911-22lr and it's been great but only 2K downrange so far (we'll see when I get to that 10K mark how she holds up but not disappointed in the least as I type this note). That said, I certainly won't knock the conversion kit as I have seen it in action at the range and it's quite nice.
Old October 3, 2012, 06:18 AM   #41
mitchntx

I owned a Uramex Colt 1911-22 ... sold it after a short while. Looked like a 1911 ... didn't run like one. Never had an issue with it ... was just disappointed.

I have a certain expectation when I swaddle a 1911 in my hand and that just wasn't it.

YVMV

Two observations ...

the hoopla over a 22/45 being a PITA are grossly exagerated. While no Lego gun, it certainly isn't a shelf unit from Ikea either. All the little holes, levers and pins have to line up just right and boom its together, not unlike a 1911 and not making an idiot scratch.

and the best 22 shooter I own is an M&P 22. That is a hoot to shoot.
Old October 25, 2012, 11:19 PM   #42
gusser33

cz 75 kadet great gun

I have a smith and wesson mp22, ruger mark III target, Browning buckmark camper, GSG 1911 22lr and a CZ 75 Kadet 22lr. I like every one because each is different. The Browing is probably my favorite. the Ruger mark III is really nice also, but frankly very complicated to break down. I will probably trade it in. The CZ is great. Very well made, but, sadly, is no longer being made. It took me a very long time to find a new one on line. I paid 659 bucks for it and the only other one i found was $950, so, i guess those few remaining that are available for sale will get top dollars. I hope over time i will be satisfied that i didn't overpay. I have found that all of my guns work great with CCI mini mags, although i did try the new Winchester X2 and they worked fine but had a few ftl. I guess what it boils down to is try the gun out and get the feel of it. I like the feel of the CZ as it is all steel and has some heft to it. I don't really care for some of the new composite guns and they are so light and i an not convinced they will last as long.
Old October 26, 2012, 05:55 AM   #43
Pilot

The dedicated CZ Kadet pistol is being discontinued. The Kadet Kit conversion unit is not. It is still available. The 75B with a Kadet Kit installed is essentially the Kadet Pistol. Most people go that route, and it is worth it. A few bucks more spent on the Kadet Kit will give you and your heirs a lifetime of cheap, accurate, reliable shooting.

BTW, a Ruger MKIII is not difficult fo field strip nor reassemble if you use the manual.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:26 PM   #44
johnwilliamson062

I'd probably trade my best centerfire pistol and my Ruger MK III for a CZ75 and Kadet kit.

Actually, I would. No looking back.
Old November 1, 2012, 02:54 PM   #45
Mr_Jumper

SW M&P22

Purchased NIB about 3 weeks ago, I've put through about 1200+ rounds of various ammo, 99.8+% worked flawlessly.

In order:

*initial clean*
200 CCI mini mag (flawless)
50 CCI standard (flawless)
*clean*
~300 Winchester 555 bulk pack (2 FTF, ammo issue)(ended range time with keyhole, lead fouling) **
*clean*
~250 Winchester 555 bulk pack (flawless)
150 Federal 550 bulk pack (flawless)
*clean*
400 Federal 550 bulk pack (flawless)

As you can see, I like to run my guns because it could and it should. I don't necessarily baby the guns I have but I thoroughly clean 'em after range session.

I've also had slide locking up slightly at ** mark. At that point, gun was extremely dirty - probably because of quality of Winchester bulk pack. After investigation, found that right side of slide was sticking slightly where slide and frame met.

After cleaning, it was running smooth again, however, I've ran the underside of slide with 3-4 pass of file. It runs like butter after that point even when it is extremely dirty (as seen by next 2 range trips of 400+ rounds).

For a .22 pistol, this definitely passed my test. It was accurate the whole time I shot it (except when it started to keyhole), and handles/feels like a full sized pistol. While SR22 is also an excellent gun, it felt a bit too small for me.

Just my 2cents on the topic.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:33 PM   #46
aarondhgraham

The CZ-Kadet pistol is being discontinued?,,,

Dang, I'm glad I bought mine when I did,,,
Maybe I just let too many people try mine out,,,
I know for a fact that I'm responsible for three being purchased.

Aarond

Old November 17, 2012, 12:03 PM   #47
XtremeRevolution

Mr_Jumper & aarondgraham, are you referring to the RIA 1911 .22?
Old November 19, 2012, 10:12 AM   #48
aarondhgraham

Hello XtremeRevolution,,,

Nope, I was referring to the CZ-75B Kadet in .22 LR.

Aarond

Old November 19, 2012, 11:31 AM   #49
jmstr

I've been thinking on this issue for a while.

I have a conversion kit for my Hi Power, and I have stand-alone .22lr handguns [ruger mk II .22/.45 and ruger SP101 8 shot revolver].

I find myself shooting the stand alone .22lr handguns MUCH more than the conversion kit.

Heck, I shoot the 22/45 more than the rest of my guns combined, it seems like.

So, conversion kits are good for developing muscle memory for grip angle and trigger control. They are fun. I want one for my 1911 and I may want one for my Glock: for fun.

However, a good stand alone .22lr seems to get used more.

Maybe, if I had a CZ, this might be different. I don't know.

Whatever you do, enjoy and be safe.
Old November 21, 2012, 04:20 PM   #50
XtremeRevolution

I called armscor to ask about their .22. I confirmed that the slide does indeed not stay open when the last round is fired, but the gun is not damaged when dry fired. My understanding is that there is a mechanism to protect the gun when dry fired should you not be paying attention to how many rounds you have left in your magazine.

My FOID card will be here any day now and I really think this will be my first firearm purchase.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2