The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 18, 2012, 09:05 AM   #1
gaseousclay

Mossberg 590 vs Benelli Supernova

so my brother is looking to purchase a shotgun for HD purposes and had thrown out the idea of getting a Mossberg. He specifically stated that he wants a tactical shotgun. My question, is there any real difference in quality and function between the Mossberg 590 and Benelli Supernova? They're in similar price ranges so I figured I should have my brother look at Benelli as well.

What about barrel length? I've seen models that come in 18.5" and 20". Does it even matter? Also, the Mossberg 590 comes in the basic model and the 590A1 model. I've read reviews that suggest the basic 590 models have plastic parts (like the trigger guard and safety) and are therefore prone to breaking. The 590A1 models use aluminum which makes the gun more durable but heavier. Is it worth it to pay for the extra weight? What about the Benelli Supernova? How is it different than the 590? Thanks.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:09 AM   #2
jmortimer

Any of the standard pump actions are proven and work well. People spend time debating the pros and cons, Ford v Chevy, but they all work well. The two you mention work well. As for the plastic trigger guard, some very experienced persons think it is a much better choice in an 870. I know you can buy the 590 trigger group in metal and drop it in. I would not sweat the plastic trigger guard. Take your pick of the common pump actions, they are all good. I like the 500/590 but the Supernova is a good choice as is the 870 etc. 20" max for home defense and it will allow a longer magazine tube to fit flush with more rounds. Once you hit five or more rounds I don't think it is a big issue.
Old November 20, 2012, 05:44 PM   #3
LSnSC

The Novas are the easiest loading shotgun out there. Ive got a loaner Ive been using for 3 gun Heavy Metal. Using the load two method I can load it 20% faster than I can load my beloved 870.