The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 12, 2012, 05:55 PM   #1
McShooty

Prvi Partizan Ammo in Two .30-30s

I first tried Prvi Partizan ammo when I fired some of their 7.65 x 53 in my Argentine Mauser. It worked pretty well so I decided to try some of their .30-30 Winchester. Prvi Partizan Uzice (PPU) is in Serbia and they have been in business since 1928. They have a full line of sporting and military ammo, now available in this country at very reasonable prices. I fired their 170-grain .30-30 in a Winchester Model 94 and a Remington Model 788. Velocity results (8 shots with each) are:

Remington 788 (22 in bbl): Average 2117 fps
Winchester 94 (24 in bbl): Average 2139 fps

These velocities are about the same as these rifles do with other factory 170-grainers. I fired a series of three-shot groups at 50 yards to evaluate accuracy. The picture shows four consecutive groups fired with the Remington 788. The average of the four is 0.32 in, or, about 0.64 minute-of-angle.

Holy Cow! This is about the best performance of factory ammo I have ever seen, regardless of caliber, and I have tested a lot of different rounds in recent years. The next four groups were a bit larger, the overall average of eight groups coming out at 0.46 in, or about 0.92 MOA. The 788 is one of the most accurate .30-30s around, and the Winchester 94 did not do as well, but it still gave a respectable average of 2.25 MOA for several groups.
A dissembled cartridge is shown in the next pic.

I found 31.7 grains of a silver gray, ball powder with flattened grains. The bullet, weighing 171 grains, has a flat base with an almost straight ogive and a generously exposed flat, lead tip. These components sure work well together. The empty brass seems substantial, weighing about the same as Remington or Winchester .30-30 brass, so reloading the Prvi cases should present no problems.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:02 PM   #2
10-96

I like Prvi Partizan ammo. I've shot a lot of it in .223, and others in 6.5x55, .308, 7mm Mauser, and something else I think. I really got hooked on the .223 when I started noticing loose primer pockets in my FC brass and tossed it. One of our local stores carries Monarch brand which is a store-labeled name for PPU. That has been the best brass to reload. I still keep some factory load stuff for plinking and guest shooting.

Have you had any of the PPU stuff want to stick in the chamber of the Win 94?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 12, 2012, 11:20 PM   #3
GTlefty

Excellent review! I've been happy with the PPU ammo I've used, shot a deer with it this year.
Old November 12, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4
TAKtical

Ive been very happy with Prvi .223, more accurate than many other brands and also the cheapest I can find.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old November 12, 2012, 11:41 PM   #5
the rifleer

Yep, them make pretty good ammo.
Old November 13, 2012, 10:34 AM   #6
McShooty

I had no problem with cases sticking in the lever action. Overall, pressure of this ammo seems moderate.
Old November 16, 2012, 06:30 AM   #7
TX Hunter

I have had good luck reloading privi partison cases for my 8x57 Mauser.
I think Privi Partison ammo company is an answered prayer for collectors and shooters of surplus and historic firearms. They load several of the most obsolete cartridges.
Good review, and very nice grouping.