The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 9, 2012, 09:53 AM   #51
pete2

Keep the gun clean, use good ammo and you will have few failures. Never had a semi auto .22 that was totally reliable. Nature of the beast. Lately I've been using Federal auto match and have had excellent results, I've fired about 500 rounds thru my MKII without a problem but I know it's just teasing me. Old Super X, CCI mini-mags both work well in it. Remington bulk is accurate in it but it doesn't all shoot so it's for plinking only.
Old September 9, 2012, 05:01 PM   #52
Arizona Fusilier

I think it does serve to experiment with ammo. But on that note, I simply have never considered any .22 long rifle ammo "premium".

It seems most folks think CCI falls into that category. What else does everyone think constitutes "premium" .22 ammo?
Old September 9, 2012, 11:28 PM   #53
marine6680

Some of the Winchester and Remington qualifies.

Wolf match is as well... one of the most accurate and consistent. Never thought you would see Wolf and accurate/consistent in the same sentence did ya?

Its all down quality of components and attention to quality during manufacture.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:48 AM   #54
vlasfarg

Anything non bulk ...

Anything that is not sold in bulk packs is "better" quality but does not qualify as premium imho.

I never had an issue with the CCI ammos (rn, hp, stinger, ...), except the blazzer (1 dud per box, and it is bulk). The shots were all fairly consistent at 100yards, except the one blazzer that failed to fire.
I have the same excellent experience with the Remington Target, subsonic and thunderbolt ammo: very consistent elevation, no feed or ejection issue, all are going bang at the 1st strike ... so far.

Other brands, Winchester in particular, gave me a little bit of trouble, mainly ejection issues with the pistols and few lighter or hotter loads that affects the elevation of the impact point when shooting with the rifle at 100 yards.

I shoot 22lr with a 10/22 ss carbine, a Bersa T22, a Walther P22 - but even if you shoot with the same guns, yours might like or dislike stuff that mines dislike or like. Better buy a little bit of each - it is cheap - and try by yourself.
I always clean the pistols after each session, I keep the barrel of the 10/22 fairly "dirty", but clean the bolt receiver action. It seems that the 10/22 takes 30/40 shots for the groups to tighten a bit after I cleaned the barrel. I have no scientific explanation about that.

Vincent
Old September 10, 2012, 02:59 PM   #55
kraigwy

I shoot a HS Victor in Bullseye, its set up only to load 5 rounds at a time so I decided to get another Semi for 22 action type shooting.

Just last week I picked up a Ruger MKIII 22/45. Since then I've shot over 500 rounds, including a RF Bowling Pin shoot and a Post shoot.

A post shoot is where you shoot at a up right 2X4 and see who cuts it in half first.

I didn't get any malfunctions, but the more I shoot it the more it seems to smoothen out.

I will admit I had a few duds but that was the ammo not the gun.

Before I picked the Ruger I asked around, seems the Ruger is well know for its reliability.

Besides reliability I want accuracy, I've found both in my Ruger MkIII 22/45.

Also put red dot sights on it. I know that's cheating but its fast on target and supper accurate.

No.........I can't agree that 22 semis are not reliable. If you think so, pick up a Ruger.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 10, 2012, 05:25 PM   #56
Metal god

I love my 22/45 very reliable

Old September 11, 2012, 12:12 PM   #57
m_liebst

I'll chime in on that Zip malfuctions in the last few thousand rounds. Havn't gotten a dud yet from any CCI ammo I've put through it.

Last edited by m_liebst; September 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old September 11, 2012, 01:00 PM   #58
PT-92

No problems here using good quality .22lr ammo (I've never really tried the real cheap bulk stuff so I'm not sure). I have fired 1K's of .22lr via my 10/22, GSG 1911-22 and even my mouse guns (Beretta Bobcat 21A, PT-22 and a really cheap but reliable little guy, Phoenix HP22). I must admit that my guns always are well-maintained so that may be an important variable for rimfire guns as some others have mentioned.

I will say I have known some who have opted for .25acp BUG instead of .22lr believing it to be more reliable. I like the .25acp round (anything JMB must be great ) but the costs of the ammo is outlandish [but I digress...]).
Old September 12, 2012, 07:26 PM   #59
dajowi

I would say that the Rugers that I've owned all worked flawlessly. My current favorite .22 is a Walther/Manurhin PPK/S which runs great on a steady diet of Mini-Mag
Old September 14, 2012, 04:22 PM   #60
ejhc11

I have Sig Mosquito. Bought it used, followed rimfirecentral's recommendations and now it shoots ammo other than CCI Minimags reliably.

Last one on the bottom
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/a...igFoursome.jpg
Old September 16, 2012, 01:35 AM   #61
TomInLa

Ammo Choice & Cleaning is key

IMHO, ammo choice and cleaning habits make the most difference in reliability with the .22lr platform. That being said, any manufacturer is capable of letting something out the door with less than optimum quality control. If it is still acting up after 3-500 rounds, it is most likely something that needs to be addressed by returning it to the company that made it, who ususally do stand behind there stuff. Some of us like taking them apart and finding those little burrs or rough finishes on parts that can be polished out. But it seems there are a lot of people who buy new, never even give a first cleaning to remove the cosmoline or whatever anti-corrosion coating the company put on it, fire a few boxes of the cheapest stuff they can find, then tell everybody what a crappy gun this or that make/model is. Every gun I have ever owned needed to be cleaned! And they all need a break-in period in order to get as good as they can be, especially with regards to FTF/FTE, and trigger performance. Just my .02 worth...
Old October 10, 2012, 12:17 PM   #62
jsiberians

We have a Ruger LCR22 and a Beretta 21a Bobcat.
They are both fun to shoot.
The LCR shots everything I put in it.
The 21a is really fussy. It loves the CCI stingers, Mini Mags, and Win. bulk 333.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:58 PM   #63
lapetrarca53

So far, my Phoenix Arms HP22A just keeps spitting them out. Close to 500 rounds without a single hitch!
Old October 10, 2012, 01:06 PM   #64
PT-92

Quote:
jsiberians

We have a Ruger LCR22 and a Beretta 21a Bobcat.
They are both fun to shoot.
The LCR shots everything I put in it.
The 21a is really fussy. It loves the CCI stingers, Mini Mags, and Win. bulk 333.
I have two 21's and I can say ditto (most everybody will report the same). Great little BUG or just fun little-mouse gun.

The LCR has the advantage of not being subject to possible cycling issues as opposed to the semi (only worry there would be a bad primer).
Old October 10, 2012, 01:09 PM   #65
PT-92

Quote:
lapetrarca53

So far, my Phoenix Arms HP22A just keeps spitting them out. Close to 500 rounds without a single hitch!
Coincidental in that I will be taking mine out tomorrow for a shoot. I have roughly 1500 fired in mine and it's been rock-solid and even more tolerant of a wide diversity of ammo than some of my other much more expensive .22lr's.
Old October 10, 2012, 01:09 PM   #66
pgdion

Depends a lot on the pistol and a lot on the ammo. Remington ammo has been no good to me (Golden Bullets bad in everything, even rifles), Federal bulk has been good, CCI, Blazer, and Super-X have always worked very well.

Likewise the P22 is a roll of the dice on almost every shot. The Smith 22A has been flawless with everything except Remington & Federal, the SS Beretta NEOS has never missed a beat, always works flawlessly. My 6" black NEOS on the other hand had some issues (that I think are resolved now).

Right gun & right ammo and they can be very reliable.
Old October 10, 2012, 02:12 PM   #67
Brian48

Contributing to the issue, most .22 autos are blowbacks. This requires a more sensitive balance between the power of the load and the weight of the recoil spring. You may not always get this harmony with every brand of ammo.