The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 12, 2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Hagenp

P30 vs PPQ for the same price

Hi there,

I am about to buy my second handgun to join my P226 this weekend and am very puzzled in regards to which of the two I should choose. I live in Switzerland and get both guns for around 800 USD. For some reason the Walther costs the same here?! I'll try both on the range to decide. But is the quality that much better on H&K guns compared to Walther's? I am pretty new to guns so please excuse me my question .

Best regards from Geneva
Old September 12, 2012, 08:38 AM   #2
PSP

I consider both pistols as high quality, but I'd tend toward the HK P30 in this case due to the incredible reliability proven by testing this model as well as others. HK in general, IMHO, produces the highest quality available for reasonable prices. However, there is no wrong answer here.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Mystro

What is going to happen to Walthers and the PPQ now that S&W doesn't own them anymore?? Just a suggestion, but look at the FNX. I own a lot of top shelf handguns and am very picky. I really like the FNX. These guns fly under the radar and are a really outstanding pistol.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:34 AM   #4
TunnelRat

I have owned both.

They are two different pistols, one being striker fired and the other hammer fired. One is also a safe-action type pistol and the other is DA/SA. You mentioned you own SIGs? Assuming you own the DA/SA variants you might be more comfortable action wise with the HK. Another option is to look at the Walther P99 which might be closer to what you're used to.

I'll make a last comment, and put on my flame suit as I do. I have owned four Walthers, two PPQs and two P99s. 2/4 of those had some issues. Now I am a bad luck magnet, so in the interest of fairness I will say it might have been a fluke. But I have not had the same percentage of problems with HK. As always, YMMV.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 12, 2012, 09:35 AM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
What is going to happen to Walthers and the PPQ now that S&W doesn't own them anymore??
  1. S&W never owned Walther. S&W has been Walther's US distributor for the past decade, and they produce the PPK/S and PPK for the US market to get around ATF import restrictions. S&W used to produce a licensed version of the P99 as the SW99, but it was dropped several years ago in favor of the M&P line.
  2. AFAIK it is currently unclear exactly what company will serve as Walther's future US distributor, but somebody is bound to pick up US distribution and service for recent Walther products due to their popularity, and it's already been stated in press releases that S&W will continue producing the PPK line in the States.
  3. All that said, none of this has any bearing on the OP's question because he/she lives in Switzerland, and can presumably have the pistol serviced either by Walther directly or through Walther's Swiss distributor.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:36 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
What is going to happen to Walthers and the PPQ now that S&W doesn't own them anymore?? Just a suggestion, but look at the FNX. I own a lot of top shelf handguns and am very picky. I really like the FNX. These guns fly under the radar and are a really outstanding pistol.
S&W never owned Walther, they imported them. They've since ended that agreement, likely as they have competing products and Walther never got much advertising. To my knowledge Walther will be establishing its own branch in the US that will handle importation. But you are right that in the short term idk how it will work.

+1 on the FNX. A much overlooked but great pistol.

Edit: Too late ^
Old September 12, 2012, 09:40 AM   #7
RamItOne

Shoot both frequently. You already have a 226, the P30 will be more like the 226, the ppq is a very fun range gun, .1" trigger reset!!!! The P30 has a crappy DA IMHO, the 226 has a better trigger.
Old September 12, 2012, 12:33 PM   #8
JHansenAK47

My experience with both guns is that they are both good shooters. However the stock PPQ trigger is amazing and the stock P30 trigger is good service grade trigger but in my opinion needs a trigger job. I also greatly prefer the longer magazine release found on the PPQ.
So my vote goes to the PPQ.

Quote:
AFAIK it is currently unclear exactly what company will serve as Walther's future US distributor, but somebody is bound to pick up US distribution and service for recent Walther products due to their popularity
As I understand it Walther's U.S. based affliliate will take over distribution. Basically they will be their own importer.
Old September 12, 2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Mrgunsngear

I've owned both and I'd go P30; especially if they're the same price!
Old September 12, 2012, 01:45 PM   #10
sigarms228

I tried the P30 several times and it did not work for me. I bought a Walther PPQ in 9MM without ever firing one and was STUNNED at how well I can shoot it from round 1. I own more that a few SIGs and have no problem with the PPQ being striker fired.

As others have mentions they are different with hammer versus striker fired.

If they were the same price I would still buy the PPQ NO question.

REAL Walthers such as the PPQ are among the very top tier mass produced pistols.

The PPQ is essentialy a minor variant of the awesome Walther P99 that has been around for over 15 years and a proven track record of quality and reliability. The P99 and PPQ are also mazinly accurate.

In the end try whatever you are considering and invest in what will work best for you.

Walther coming to the USA will be HUGE for Walther and Walther fans! A guy named Earl may not be so happy though.

You may also want to post on the Walther forum.

Old September 12, 2012, 01:54 PM   #11
Roland Thunder

Quote:
You already have a 226, the P30 will be more like the 226, the ppq is a very fun range gun,
I have a p226 and I bought a PPQ because I wanted something a little different but with the same quality of a Sig
Old September 12, 2012, 03:07 PM   #12
RBid

Walther PPQ.

I am not saying this because I have one. I have one because I believe in it.

The ergonomics on these two pistols are among the best you can find. From a reliability standpoint, H&K has an incredible reputation. People talk about them as though they actually generate force shields. While Walthers get less credit, the P99 and PPQ have well deserved reputations for reliability and durability, as well. They have passed German police tests, which are pretty tough. I have heard many stories of extreme round counts with zero malfunctions (including claims that one of the guys on the Walther shooting team has had 100k+ through a P99 without changing springs), and I am currently up to 3,500 rounds through my PPQ with no malfunctions.

What is the tie-breaker, for me?

The trigger.

Since mechanical accuracy in modern firearms is virtually always superior to what a shooter can produce, the real issue is ease of accuracy, or how closely we are able to come to matching the pistol's true mechanical accuracy. This is generally a function of 1) trigger, 2) ergonomics, 3) sights.

The PPQ's trigger makes it painfully easy to pick one up, and shoot well right away. I have seen a few experienced shooters fire their own weapon, shoot my PPQ for the first time, and print the same way they do with guns they have had for years.
Old September 12, 2012, 03:38 PM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

I'm picking up my PPQ this week
Old September 12, 2012, 10:42 PM   #14
sigxder

I have HK's and the Walther PPQ. The HK is an excellent hammer fired DA/SA handgun. It is built like a tank. Fires every single time. And is extremely accurate. The DA/SA trigger pull is not as good as the SIG's I own. But it is decent. My PPQ now has 3500 trouble free rounds through it. It (as the P30) has superb ergomnomics. As others have said the trigger is probably the best out of the box trigger on anything short of an expensive target pistol.
Where your at their is as you have stated no difference in price. I like my PPQ. The trigger is far superior to the HK's. It's apples to oranges. But if you compare an HK with either DAO or their LEM trigger it is nowhere near as goo as the PPQ's. I won't be selling either my PPQ or my HK's. Do you want to stick with the DA/SA platform? Do you prefer hammer fired vs. striker fired? The Walther took 5 minutes to install nightsights by myself by the way. Hk's I would only let a gunsmith do it. But there is no bad choice here. Only which works better for you.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:53 PM   #15
balance

I didn't see a difference in quality between my PPQ and my P30.

I already owned both when I decided to trade the P30 in on another pistol. I could have just as easily kept the P30, but I felt that the PPQ was a better pistol for me. I feel that Walther makes pistols that are easier to shoot than H&K pistols, with similar reliability, accuracy, etc.

I would choose the PPQ regardless of price.
Old September 12, 2012, 11:20 PM   #16
lechiffre

Quote:
is the quality that much better on H&K guns compared to Walther's?
I own Walthers and I own HKs, the two brands are equal in quality.

I would pick the P30 over the PPQ because of the trigger actions.

I would pick the P99 AS over the P30.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old September 13, 2012, 12:01 AM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
I own Walthers and I own HKs, the two brands are equal in quality.

I would pick the P30 over the PPQ because of the trigger actions.

I would pick the P99 AS over the P30.
Ditto to everything above.

P99AS > P30 > PPQ in my opinion.

I prefer a good DA/SA trigger over the Glockish (but very refined) trigger of the PPQ, and the P99AS has the best DA/SA trigger out there. That said, you can't go wrong with any of these choices - it really all comes down to personal preference.

Quote:
I consider both pistols as high quality, but I'd tend toward the HK P30 in this case due to the incredible reliability proven by testing this model as well as others.
Keep in mind that the PPQ is not a new design.

It is just a P99 (which is a very proven design that has been on the market for over 15 years) with a different trigger group and mild aesthetic changes. The PPQ itself has been on sale for a number of years in Europe as the P99Q or P99RAD.

Last edited by Fishbed77; September 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:51 AM   #18
IMightBeWrong

The P30 wins in the following areas in my experience:

1. Felt Recoil is less than the PPQ's.
2. Grip has a better texture in sweaty hands and is more ergonomic.
3. Finish is better executed.

Where the PPQ wins:

1. Trigger, the P30's reset is horrendous while the PPQ's is like a dream.
2. Magazine release lever is longer allowing for a more comfortable release with the index finger.
3. Carries a little bit lighter.

Either way, you're getting a nice pistol you can trust your life with as well as any other. I've seen just as many hangups with the HK as the Walther and vice versa: none.
Old September 13, 2012, 11:46 AM   #19
RC20

The HK is a lot close to your Sig than the Walther.

If you like and do well with the Sig then the HK is a good match and personaly I would go that way. The P30 is a very good pistol.

The PP is a completely different animal, not bad, just different and you will have the transition between the two.

If you feel adventurous the PP owners generality seem happy with it.

I am inclined to stick with what feels right and works when I add something, other like to go wild.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:55 PM   #20
mukibetser

I have a Walther PPQ in 9mm and an HK p2000 DA/SA in .40. The HK DA trigger truly does suck, but I love the gun nevertheless. It kicks a bit in .40, but I find that I can shoot it quite accurately (once I got used to using a combat hold rather than a 6 oclock hold). I understand that the P30 is more ergonomic than the P2000 but sounds like its DA trigger has the same problems.

As for the PPQ, yes the trigger is fantastic and it is very ergonomic. There is a bit more muzzle rise than I'd like. If you want a range gun, can't go wrong with it. Query whether it is an ideal carry gun. I would carry it, but some apparently think the trigger is too light for carry.

Between the two, I personally would go with an HK.
Old July 3, 2014, 11:48 AM   #21
rsilvers

I have both.

So why is the PPQ better than the P30-V1? The P30 has the following problems:

1. The trigger pull is too long - not as bad as a Kahr, but not optimal.
2. The reset is too long.
3. The mag release inside the trigger guard feels odd when I pull the trigger and brush up against it. I don't like it protruding into the guard as it does with mine.

So even for the same price, the PPQ is better than the P30-V1 (and the V1 is the best P30). But the P30 is about $350 more in the USA.

The PPQ is the best carry pistol cost no object, and not overpriced at all.
Old July 3, 2014, 02:13 PM   #22
Fishbed77

Quote:
The PPQ is the best carry pistol cost no object, and not overpriced at all.
Except that the P99AS is even better for carry, thanks to the ingenious Anti-Stress (AS) trigger system that IMHO is more safe for carry, and a paddle mag release (also on the PPQ Classic) that can not be accidentally depressed in a holster.
Old July 3, 2014, 02:15 PM   #23
TunnelRat

Only took two years to resolve this...
Old July 3, 2014, 03:57 PM   #24
ShipWreck

No kidding. Way to raise a dead thread
Old July 3, 2014, 11:47 PM   #25
rickmelear

I've owned multiple copies of both. The only handgun that I have ever owned that would not fire steel cased ammo was a H&K. While I know this was a question that wasn't asked it matters to me. When push comes to shove they are both excellent firearms, poly framed, but high quality. Buy the one that fits your hand and that has the best ergonomics. Like a Glock, they all go bang every time you pull the trigger and will for many thousand rounds unless your like me and shoot cheap, steel cased ammo like Wolf and Brown Bear. In that case H&K won't work.