The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 11, 2012, 09:08 PM   #26
PT-92

P11 Ammo

I have the KT P11 and I too am not fond of the +P ammo kick. I personally only shoot as much of my carry ammo as to ensure cycling reliability in my gun (no way I could afford to fire only my carry ammo ).

However, I have found a heavy 135gr 9mm non +P ammo (they offer it in +P if preferred) that works great in my P11 and provides IMO the best state-of-the-art self-defense ammo I have ever found--it's all subjective, of course, but have a look at Hornady's new Critical Duty line as I don't think you will be disappointed:

9MM 135 GR FLEXLOCK® CRITICAL DUTY

http://www.hornady.com/store/searcha...D=1273&x=7&y=9

9MM LUGER+P 135 GR FLEXLOCK® CRITICAL DUTY

http://www.hornady.com/store/searcha...1273&x=10&y=12
Old September 11, 2012, 10:21 PM   #27
reaganmarine84

Good question. Reading the replies has kinda got me to thinkin' I need to change my daily carry away from my S&W bodyguard .380 for winter use. Problem is,I pocket carry. And the bodyguard .380 can sometimes feel weighty enough. Moving up to at least a 9mm is going to get even more cumbersome for pocket carry. I have a Taurus PT709 slim in lay-away right now,but won't get it out any time before Christmas at the earliest. Hmmmmm. I got some thinking to do. I may try a switch to my SCCY CPX-2 until then. ?????? It has a 10+1 cap. in a short,stubby,double stack magazine. I personally like having an external safety on my pistols. The CPX-2 doesn't have one. That way,if,and that's a big if,some idiot gets ahold of it and pulls the trigger,it doesn't go BANG. The 709 has an external safety and is much,much thinner,lighter&smaller than my CPX-2. CRAP.
Taurus 24/7 Pro DS 9mm & .40;(2)Taurus OSS DS 9mm;Taurus OSS DS .40;Taurus 809;809 compact;840;PT709 "slim" SS;PT738;full size BUL Cherokee;SCCY CPX-2;Smith&Wesson BG .380;Arcus 98 DA;EAA witness P 9mm;I.O. inc. AK-47C;Zastava PAP;Mossberg 500 tactical;Marlin model 60.
Old September 12, 2012, 05:51 AM   #28
cocojo

Summer or winter you just can't beat the 147 federal hst or ranger SXT
9mm ammunition. I also like the new critical duty 135 in either +P or non +P. All are very good rounds with great penetration summer or winter. Unlike you I much prefer the warmer summer weather but I do love the fall.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:51 PM   #29
sigxder

Up to you. But the Ranger, HST, and Gold Dot in the middle weight +P and +P+ perform well in the F.B.I. tests which means they work under the worst conditions. If you want to use the 147's of the same type they also work quite well with less recoil. But their is no large difference in performance between the two through thick or thin clothing that should cause you to switch from one to another.