The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old September 4, 2011, 07:55 AM   #51
BlueTrain

The provisional manual for the experimental British E.M.1 from 1950 actually illustrates a "long model", so perhaps they weren't sold on the bullpup idea after all. But since it is an official Ministry of Supply publication, they made no effort to sell the idea, at least in the manual. Aside from the total length of the rifle, there is no particular advantage. It even weighs over 9 lbs. unloaded but I think the S.A.80 is on the heavy side, too. The basic problem with the original unmodified S.A.80 was not the design or concept, as I understand it, but rather in the execution. The parts that held it together actually wore out quickly. All AR-15 variations (The S.A.80 was based on the AR-18, I am led to believe) have similiar parts, meaning the pins that hold the top and bottom together, but I've never heard of any problem with them in that regard. Other bullpup rifles do not have a takedown like that and presumably avoid the problem altogether.
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 10, 2011, 08:07 PM   #52
SR420

Finally received the tall rings... my Rogue is scoped now

Old September 11, 2011, 02:21 PM   #53
chadio

^^^

Oh my.... that is too cool for words
Old September 13, 2011, 04:05 PM   #54
SR420

Rogue accuracy

I had a few minutes to spare today and zeroed in my scope.

I'm not comfortable firing from a bench and that's probably why one round is pulled way off to the right.

Old September 13, 2011, 04:18 PM   #55
warrior poet

I'm not a 'rail-a-holic' with my rifles, but even I admit that that rifle is pretty darned cool, and looks like she shoots well too. That's a Rogue 'conversion' for the M14, right? I'd like to know, b/c it seems to rate a closer look.
Old September 13, 2011, 04:26 PM   #56
SR420

Quote:
...it seems to rate a closer look
PM sent.
Old September 21, 2011, 12:02 AM   #57
Stevie-Ray

I'm currently on a waiting list for a machined aluminum bullpup stock for my 10/22. It'll be my first bullpup venture, but I'd personally love to have an RFB.
Old September 12, 2012, 01:03 AM   #58
freedash22

Chinese makes low-cost Bullpups

Though mostly more expensive compared to conventional rifles, the Chinese T97A and T97C (5.56 military export versions of the QBZ-95 standard and short rifles) are sold at quite low prices here in the Philippines (1800+ USD); (It should be noted that unlike in other countries select-fire rifles are legal but very expensive here). For example, for the price of 1 bushmaster select-fire M4 you can get 2 T97A rifles here while you can get almost two select-fire Type-56 AKs for the price of 1 T97 rifle. However, despite this, US-made select-fire M4s by DPMS, Bushmaster, Colt (rare) and other brands are the most popular rifles here. And given the current political climate with China, their rifles aren't selling very well and it seems people work hard to go the extra mile to buy US-made guns.
Old September 12, 2012, 05:09 AM   #59
trg42wraglefragle

The majority of British soldiers will tell you the SA80 is a horrible gun.

The British, Australian and New Zealand armies all use bullpups for their rifles, yet everyone of thems SAS use the M4 or M4 equivalent.
Although I have herd the British SAS have taken an interest in the SCAR, which is also not bullpup.
Old September 12, 2012, 05:30 AM   #60
savage1r

If you don't mind using a hammer, punch, and screwdriver, this bullpup can be had for $550 or less depending on how much you pay for your sks. Going to take it to the range this weekend, I'll let you know how it shoots.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:14 AM   #61
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

After a year and a half, odds are that the OP has bought his bullpup--or not.
Closed Thread