The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2012, 09:34 PM   #1
rude robert

312" bore 7.62x54

I searched but could not come us with any old post. I even tried to post on my old post and got no response lol
Old August 13, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
rude robert

sorry just got off of work and realized I didn't put a question in there. That's the trouble with not being able to sleep during the day and having to work nights hehee. There isn't many options that I like on printed paper for .311(303) bullets. They all seem too round nosed and heavy for me. I like Hornady's bullets, but want some ideas on what else may work good for some hunting rounds. I think the 7.7 japanese off the top of my head will work, but again just shooting at the hip here. Looking for something that will work good on deer thx
Old August 13, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3
hornetguy

If you are shooting jacketed bullets, you might get by just fine using regular .308 bullets. I've been surprised like that..
Anything you can find over .308 would just be a possible bonus, but if you find a particular .308 that you like, don't be afraid to try it. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Personally, I shoot cast bullets, one a 314290 (IIRC) and a flatnose designed for the 30-30 that weighs about 170gr with my alloy. I get good groups with both.

Sierra makes a really nice .311 150gr spitzer bullet.. I'd start there.
Old August 13, 2012, 04:56 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I have had good luck with Speer Hot Core 150 grain. Size is .311 from what the box says. I have had good results from them. Though they are spendy on my tight budget. I had decent results shooting steels at 25 yards with Remington 110 grain .308 round nose that I use in my .30 carbine. I used them with Trail Boss.

I should mention that I hand load for 7.62x54R due to Mrs. M&P having previous neck, and back injuries. She can shoot the spam can ammo, though after a couple of rounds she is ready to go home due to her back hurting. So I worked up some reduced loads with Trail Boss. Now her complaint is that I do not have enough brass . She ran out of ammo after shooting the 80 I loaded up, and wanted to shoot more.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Clark

The .311" 180 gr Sierra pro hunter bullet gets the best groups at 100 yards for me.

I know an old guy who shoots one doe with that bullet in a Mosin Nagant every year. He stalks close and then he shoots them in the head.

That is a flat base bullets and so not great for long range. My hunting system is to shoot the deer at 400 yards with a bi pod, 1/2 hour before dawn. I need boat tailed bullets, but I have not found any good .311" boat tail hunting bullets.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?