The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 4, 2012, 03:34 PM   #1
bspillman

whats wrong here?

My older Taurus revolver is skipping chambers. i shot several chambers full today. single action works perfect but double action on some chambers the firing pin hits on the side of the round (facing the top of the rounds it hits to the right). what is causing this can it be fixed and is it expensive?
Old August 4, 2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Creeper

Chances are it's a problem that is not cheaply or easily corrected. Contact Taurus and see if their "Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy" extends to your "older" Taurus.

Taurus customer service:
305-624-1115 or fax at (305) 624-1126.
Repair work order @: http://www.taurususa.com/prelog.cfm

Cheers,
C
Old August 4, 2012, 04:11 PM   #3
bspillman

I have contacted Taurus and my gun is not covered under their warranty. Could I be short stroking the gun. The gun locks up tight,it passed the revolver check out i found on this site. I have looked on line about checking the timing. i slowly cocked the hammer all the way back and then tried to turn the cylinder, and there was no movement on all 6 chambers.
Old August 4, 2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Roughedge

Your bolt may not be coming up soon enough to catch the notch and it throwing by. Any gunsmith can fix it so it engages sooner.
Old August 4, 2012, 07:34 PM   #5
drail

I believe your cylinder stop is binding or the spring under it is weakened (or broke.) The stop needs to snap up pretty quickly to catch the next notch. But it needs to be looked at by a smith who understands revolver mechanisms. There may be more wrong than the stop. If you were short stroking the cyinder would lock and you would be unable to fire it. Cycle it slowly (unloaded of course) and watch the stop under cylinder. It should drop down as the cyl. begins rotation and immediately pop right back up and ride on the cylinder until it catches the next notch. If it doesn't you've found your problem. I used to work on a lot of Taurus revos and they are pretty good guns but sometimes the springs they used were kind of "cheeseball" if you know what I mean.
Old August 4, 2012, 07:42 PM   #6
bspillman

Cycle it slowly (unloaded of course) and watch the stop under cylinder. It should drop down as the cyl. begins rotation and immediately pop right back up and ride on the cylinder until it catches the next notch.

I have done all of this and all is working as it should or it appears to be anyway.
Old August 4, 2012, 07:44 PM   #7
drail

It needs to go on a smith's bench then.
Old August 4, 2012, 10:26 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

This sounds like a case where the gun works OK when operated slowly. But when operated rapidly, the cylinder stop does not come up quickly enough to stop the cylinder at the right point. The reason could be a defective or broken stop, but probably is either a weak spring or dirt/grease in the mechanism. I would take off the grips and hose the gun down inside with a gun cleaner, let it drain and see what happens. You should not have to remove the side plate to do that. Then if that works, put a few drops of light gun oil in front of and behind the trigger, and a few drops in front of the hammer and it should be good to go.

Jim