The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 1, 2012, 09:57 AM   #1
jlb43

Commemoratives- Who made em?

I have a couple of American Heritage Commemorative sets and have been searching around, unsuccessfully, for information on actually who manufactured the revolvers in this line. I believe Pedersoli made the gold plated Paterson because his tag is on the gun. None of the others have any markings or indications of who made them and I cannot find anything helpful with Google. Does anyone here have any idea?
Old August 1, 2012, 10:21 AM   #2
PetahW

AFAIK, If they were imported into the US, according to US Law, they MUST have the country of origin imprinted somewhere - it might take a complete disassembly to find the mark(s), though.

Old August 1, 2012, 10:27 AM   #3
TomADC

A few pictures and maybe Fingers or another knowledgeable member can figure it out,
Old August 1, 2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Hawg

ASM made some. They should be marked under the loading lever or some other inconspicuous place.
Old August 1, 2012, 11:01 AM   #5
jlb43

I have scoured a couple of them with a jewelers loop and I see one mark by what I assume is the serial number. It is a W with a crown above it. This mark is described in the Blue Book as a choke bore barrel mark from E. German, Suhl. Is Suhl a german mfg.?

As far as disassembling them, if that is what is necessary their makers shall remain unknown. These things are beautifully finished almost like jewelry and I do not want to "accidently" damage them.

Here is a Sam Houston Walker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0180.jpg (139.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0177.jpg (102.7 KB, 56 views)
Old August 1, 2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Fingers McGee

Jlb43, which ones do you have? The Texas Paterson - gold plated, engraved, cased with spare cylinder, powder charger, circular capper combination tool and cleaning rod was made by Pedersoli. Some of the others were made from Uberti, Colt's, and Pietta parts sets.

The Sam Walker in the pictures was made by the Williamsburg Firearms Manufactory using Uberti parts. That's the reason there are no Italian proof marks or other manufacturers marks. There was also the Virginia Firearms Manufactory that made some of these commemoratives. Their makers mark is the Crown over V.

America Remembers is the successor company to the US Historical Society, and the American Historical Fondation. You can email America Remembers ([email protected]] and see if they still have brochures and information on the sets you have.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; August 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old August 1, 2012, 11:49 AM   #7
jlb43

Fingers

I have the Texas Paterson (still has the Pedersoli tag on it), I have the Walker in the pictures which is described as The Sam Houston Texas Sesquicentennial, the Buffalo Bill Centenial (1860 Army) with same proof mark as the Walker, and the Gettysburg 1863 (1860 Army) from the United States Society of Arms and Armor. I did not look for a mark on it and now it is back in the safe.

Thanks for all your help.

PS I will send a note to the address you gave me to see what they may be able to provide.
Old August 2, 2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Jlb43, You might be interested in these ads for two of the ones you have.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 2, 2012, 05:51 PM   #9
jlb43

Thanks Mr. McGee

I have the original ad and some other docs for the Buffalo Bill. I sent off an email to the American Heritage Company as you suggested and hopefully I can get something on the others. They sure are purty but they take up a lot of space on tables and cabinets so she who must be obeyed limits me to two at a time so I rotate stock every now and then.

As nice as these guns are finished it is a shame they do not make solo guns without the bling but with the beautiful blue and craftsmenship.
Old August 2, 2012, 10:51 PM   #10
Willie Sutton

"As nice as these guns are finished it is a shame they do not make solo guns without the bling but with the beautiful blue and craftsmenship."

They more or less do... look at the Charcoal Blue finish Uberti's. They are special order mostly, from Taylors, but the finish is gorgeous.

Willie