The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2012, 05:56 AM   #1
wileybelch

Hornady New Dimension die fix

I love the elliptical expander ball on Hornady New Dimension FL sizing dies. I don't like the slippage of the stem through the friction style lock nut. If you're interested in solving this problem, here's how I fixed it. Large caliber dies use a 0.218" - 0.220" diameter smooth stem for the expander nipple. Using a 1/4"x28 NF die, thread the stem down to within 1/2" of the nipple. Then, cut the inside of the stem lock nut with a 1/4"x28 NF tap STARTING FROM THE COMPRESSION END! Tap as deep as your tap will go. The die threads will be flat-topped as the stem is not 0.250" diameter. Now you can screw your stem into the compression nut, set the depth you want for decapping/expanding with only very light tightening of the stem nut and you'll never have stem slippage again! The small caliber dies use a 0.180" - 0.185" stem so a 3/16" tap and die pair will work for them. Hope this helps keep those New Dimension dies working easily! (You may prefer NC instead of NF threads...I had the NF tap and dies on hand, so I used them. The NC may be just fine, too, for this modification.)
Old July 21, 2012, 08:22 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

I use RCBS or Redding dies to decap crimped primers. (.223/5.56, .308, .30-06, 9mm, .45 Auto)

Anything else (if using a Lee or Hornady die), just gets the collet tightened until the decapper/expander doesn't slip.
Old July 21, 2012, 08:37 AM   #3
wogpotter

Hornady sells an inexpensive upgraded shaft & lock nut with threads cut into it & it will even decap crimped in military primers.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 21, 2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Dave P

You just defeated the whole purpose of the slipping stem: to help protect the stem from damage if too much force is applied.

Like when you try to de-cap a Berdan case.

Or not enough lube on the case neck.
Old July 21, 2012, 09:37 AM   #5
wncchester

I prefer to thread just a tad at the top of Lee's decap stems and Hornady's copy of it. A nut on top prevents it from pulling out and still lets the stem slip UP if need be.
Old July 21, 2012, 03:51 PM   #6
flashhole

You really have to crank down on the Hornady die to get it to work properly. After a few decades of experience, I shy away from Hornady reloading equipment.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old July 21, 2012, 05:11 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
You just defeated the whole purpose of the slipping stem: to help protect the stem from damage if too much force is applied.

Like when you try to de-cap a Berdan case.
If you're running your press so hard and fast that you can't feel the decapping pin strike something that "isn't right", you need to slow down.

Case sorting removes Berdan cases, and head stamps known for tight flash holes.

Clean, sort, inspect. I don't wait for a die malfunction to tell me that I was too lazy to properly inspect my brass.
Old July 22, 2012, 04:10 AM   #8
wileybelch

I guess I should have clarified my experience with the ND sizing die. The elliptical expander nipple is ideal for shaping up case necks that have a severe dent (esp. military cases of many calibers). Standard expander nipples often cannot un-dent these cases without damaging the mouth. This un-denting can take extra pressure to force the expander nipple over/through the dent to straighten it out. This extra force is the cause of the slippage in the decapping stem. The same applies when using the elliptical nipple to expand, say, to a .338 or 8mm mouth from a .30 mouth. Anyway, I never had a problem with decapping. The Hornady friction nut was adequate for decapping every case style I've used.