The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 7, 2012, 08:12 PM   #1
ZOOM2X

Bushnell # 730134 Red Dot for 10/22 & Buck Mark

I'm a beginner. Have a new Ruger 10/22 Takedown I bought a month or two ago (never been fired) and a Browning Buck Mark (standard) I bought in 1997 (maybe 50 rounds through it). I'm actually stockpiling firearms as a legacy for my grandsons.

I'm thinking about adding red dot scopes to them both even though I've never used one. Would two Bushnell Trophy 4-reticle # 730134 Red Dots be good choices for them?

OK, I have figured out that I need Weaver bases with accessible edges to which the rings that hold the scope would be attached.

The Buck Mark has a flat piece referred to as a "sight base" in the owners manual with the open adjustable rear sight at the rear (duh!). It does not look like you could attach the rings as the "sight base" edges are flush with the top of the barrel. No apparent way to attach the rings. So, do I order a specific Weaver base (Make & Model ?) to add to the top of the barrel in place of the factory "sight base" or do I need to go look again. I'm missing something, right? Since they call it a "sight base"...

The 10/22 has some screws on top of the receiver for mounting a scope so I assume I just remove 2 screws , add some kind of base with the proper edges for the rings to attach to and put the screws back in. The rings go on the scope and attach to the new base. Which base? Make and Model? TIA

NRA Benefactor
Old July 7, 2012, 09:00 PM   #2
sholling

It really depends on what you want to use them for. I'm not a fan of red dots on pistols but that's because I use my Buck Mark as a training stand-in for my iron sighted 1911s. But that said the 730134 isn't a bad red dot sight for a 22 rifle. They aren't small and I find them a too dark but that may not bother you or they may have gotten better since I bought mine.

If that were my rifle I'd go with a small but very-very reliable rimfire scope instead. The budget option is a Weaver Classic RV-4 4x28 Rimfire. That's a scope that will last you a lifetime. Note that the 10.3" length should be short enough to easily stow away in your bag without removing it. A Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28 would be better but it's almost too long. If you can afford it the my first choice would be a little Leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7x28 but they're expensive.

Perhaps scope the rifle and then save up for something small like a Burris Fastfire for your Buck Mark. There are cheaper products of this type but I haven't tried them.

Edt: I forgot to mention that the Ruger came with a scope base and that if you lost it then replacements are only $10 from MidwayUSA or upgrade to a Weaver for $7.

Last edited by sholling; July 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old July 10, 2012, 05:24 PM   #3
ZOOM2X

Thanks, Sholling.

I'll do some looking at your suggestions. I may have seen that 10/22 base in the carrying bag. Need to check again. I'm sure I would not have thrown it away not knowing what it was so it's probably still in there.

Lee

NRA Benefactor

Last edited by ZOOM2X; July 10, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old July 10, 2012, 06:19 PM   #4
ZOOM2X

Sholling

When looking at the links you sent, I came across this. Looks like it's made for the 10/22! First, I'll look for my base and then I'll go to Mahoney's (less than a mile away and see if they have this one. You have to copy and paste.
Well, after looking st this post I'm not sure it the link works but you know what I'm talking about.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...odTitle=Weaver Rimfire 2.5-7X28 RV7 Riflescope Dual-X Reticle Silver

Lee

NRA Benefactor
Old July 10, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
sholling

Sorry about that I should have linked the silver Weaver as well. I habitually mount matte black scopes and rings on silver and stainless rifles because I've always thought matching the scope and rings to the stock looked better than three very often different shades of silver - but that's just individual taste. Below are three examples. The top two are 10/22s in my collection, the bottom is one of my stainless steel hunting rifles.

Last edited by sholling; July 10, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old July 10, 2012, 07:47 PM   #6
ZOOM2X

Sholling

I looked in the Ruger 10/22 case and, sure enough, there was the scope base, just like you said.

Wow! Serious rifles and scopes! You must compete at a very high level.

Lee

NRA Benefactor

Last edited by ZOOM2X; July 11, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old July 11, 2012, 08:45 PM   #7
ZOOM2X

Looked at the Weaver and Leupold scopes today. Decided on the Leupold
VX-1 2-7 X 28MM scope ($219.95 @ Mahoney's, same as Midway and everywhere else, so I'll buy that at Mahoney's and pay my TN sales tax as I should) but I decided on the Weaver 49046 rings.

Mahoney's has the rings stickered @ $16.99 which I thought strange only after I went to Weaver's website and saw Weaver's MSRP @ $14.49! Smells bad! Salesman recommended Weaver rings instead of Leupold due to price difference.

I remembered Mahoney's price on the BX-25 Mags for the 10/22 being higher than Ruger's MSRP. I bought 4 of them @ MidwayUSA.

Guess I'll get the rings @ MidwayUSA.

And yes, I do file a quarterly (or semi-annually, if I forget) Sales and Use Tax return and pay use tax on internet purchases. It's the right thing to do! https://apps.tn.gov/usetax/ Render unto Caesar...

next trip I'll decide on a scope for the Browning Buck Mark

salesman suggested cardboard backer with blown up balloons stapled to the cardboard as targets for instant gratification when a hit bursts the balloon -- I like this idea

Lee

NRA Benefactor
Old July 12, 2012, 11:31 AM   #8
sholling

The Leupold would be my first choice to.
Old July 17, 2012, 04:28 PM   #9
ZOOM2X

Well, I was on Midway's site and got carried away. I bought the Weaver Classic Rimfire 2.5-7X 28mm ( it's lightter than the Leupold and reviews showed no difference from Leupold), the Weaver Quad Lock 4X4 rings (will use the Ruger base), Otis Deluxe rifle and pistol cleaning kit, extra Otis patches and bore cleaning solvent, a couple of HKS speedloaders for the Browning Buck Mark, a couple more Buck Mark mags, a Caldwell Rock Jr rifle front rest. On the way.

Also ordered (back order) 5000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain plated (50 boxes of 100)

Hope I find the time to shoot them! Plans are to go to NRA range in Fairfax. My grandsons are NRA Life Members even though they are only 3 and 5. Usually a child must be at least 7 to go but if he can read and pass the safety test at 5 or 6 he can go. We'll have to see how this works out for them but my son and I will be going for sure. I'm getting ready.

NRA Benefactor
Old July 17, 2012, 11:13 PM   #10
sholling

Sounds like a great setup!

When the grandkids get a couple of years older you might want to take them to a 2 day Appleseed course. I'm 56 and have been shooting since I was 4 and I learned a lot and had so much fun that I've gone twice. It looks like they regularly schedule classes in TN.
Old July 18, 2012, 04:13 PM   #11
ZOOM2X

Thanks, Sholling. I'll look into Appleseed. Looks like a great way to start.

NRA Benefactor
Old July 21, 2012, 01:24 PM   #12
ZOOM2X

Post # 9 has an error!! The Weaver is NOT lighter than the Leupold. It's also longer and it is too long for the 10/22 takedown backpack-style carrying case

NRA Benefactor

Last edited by ZOOM2X; July 23, 2012 at 01:35 PM.