The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 3, 2012, 08:07 AM   #51
223 shooter

At a gun show some years ago the customer asked the guy behind the table the difference between a Smith 686 and 66 revolvers. The guy behind the table really had no idea. He was not a regular full time employee of the shop and was just helping at the show.

I talked to the customer and showed him of the differences and he really appreciated it and thanked me. The guy working the show was not offended in the least bit and the customer ended up buying the 686.
Old July 3, 2012, 08:25 AM   #52
Rifleman1776

Worth saying again, "mind your own business".
You are in a store and have no right to interfere with the store owners right to make a living.
Butt out.
We all think we are experts but that does not give one the right to pipe up. Keep in mind, this forum would not exist if we all had exactly the same ideas. You might think you have the best ideas but others may not.
Old July 5, 2012, 01:10 AM   #53
mo84

If someone wants to take half a grand or more and buy something without researching their avaliable options then it is their money to burn. Like someone has mentioned; the first gun you get is usually good enough and you are just happy having one. If I am not directly asked about somrthing I stick to my self. Now that my friends BF sells guns I don't have to worry about what other people buy since I just place my order and pay the man in his home.
There have been guns I have bought without ever holding it and if a former me were to give the present me advice; it would be to never buy a gun without holding it first. This is a good reason just to keep quiet because the advice my not necessarily be good advice. All the guns I have bought without holding so far have turned out to be just fine.
Old July 6, 2012, 01:26 AM   #54
Eghad

Mind my own business.

NRA Life Member
Old July 6, 2012, 02:21 AM   #55
youngunz4life

OP

Quote:
So now that paperwork was explained it's on to gun selection... "you need a Glock" now I am a Glock fan, no basher here, however if you were helping someone would you go with one option or give a few and let the customer decide-
Buyer- "hello I have never had a hamburger in my life"
Seller-" well then you must have a McDonalds hamburger, they are popular and there is over 1 billion sold, on your way now...next please"
The glock is just an example(or in this case the mcdonalds hamburger). If the buyer(s) had come the day before, they might've been offered a taurus judge(burger king burger), and if they had come in a day later, they might've been offered a S&W(wendys burger). Just like on TFL, buyer(s) would get a whole range of opinions and/or advice depending which TFL was working behind the gun counter(or selling a car for that matter).
Old July 6, 2012, 02:37 AM   #56
youngunz4life

rifleman

Quote:
You are in a store and have no right to interfere with the store owners right to make a living.
I don't see an issue with giving an opinion especially if you think you can help someone. Now would I butt into a conversation and/or sale between a buyer and seller? Absolutely not. That being said I have no issue with speaking up or minding my business for that matter and it would all depend. First off, most situations are unique, stores are completely different(could be local gunshop or could be walmart), gender, age, knowledge, interest in receiving opinion or help, etc are all factors. I saw someone behind the counter telling someone that it didn't matter what kind of bullet was used in the weapon. Basically someone with little knowledge on ammunition was trying to save a buck while making sure the ammo selected was good HD ammo. Do I see anything wrong with helping someone? No. The person got a second opinion and sure enough the second employee knew what he was talking about and what ammo to buy. I never butted in and the second employee or first employee never even knew this guy asked the same question probably. The first employee believed that the cheapest, beater round was just as effective in stopping an intruder as a much more qualified ammo(or that prices were just based on brand and possibly other issues whether hardcast, hollowpoints, and so-on).

Another example was the gun counter guy giving completely wrong information about state gun laws. Did I say anything? No. Did the other cutomer? Yes. The employee was stating that it was illegal to go into any store with a CCW if there was a posted 'no firearms' sign. This info was incorrect. Again I stayed out of this one as I usually do. I gotta be honest though...I have a high respect for local store owners, but usually I side on helping a customer & not a seller just so he can make a buck on wrong info or give the customer the wrong product. I know I would appreciate the same gesture in return. And as for most advice, give the advice/opinion but realize the receivee might or might not go with your guidance.

Tags
buying , gun shops