The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 4, 2012, 01:39 PM   #1
TXAZ

Price Range & where to find US Revolutionary War long gun

My Dad is interested in buying a Revolutionary War long gun. I have no clue on where to find one or even the price range. Any pointers to websites or other potential sources?

Thanks.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 4, 2012, 01:44 PM   #2
tahunua001

I would say in the high thousands, one in firing condition would be priceless. a good thing to try might be a traditions build it yourself frontier rifle flintlock kit. they are not an FFL item so you can have them shipped right to your door.

here's the kit you get and you build them to suit your tastes
Old July 4, 2012, 07:58 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Actually, something like a Brown Bess, used by both sides in the Revolutionary War, can be had for less than most folks think. A good, though not top condition one will run $2500-3500. Better ones can go higher, of course. And a good original is a guaranteed investment, but caution is needed in the antique market whether the area is guns or furniture or coins.

Replicas of both the Pattern 1756 Brown Bess and the French Model 1763 (supplied to the colonists by the French) have been made and in all respects but age (and price) are the same as those used in the War of Independence.

Unless you and your father have money and are desirous of obtaining original guns, a replica might fill the need.

I suggest a Google search on "Brown Bess" and "Charleville." You will be able to see prices for originals as well as prices and sources for replicas.

While the Pennsylvania (Kentucky) rifle captures the imagination of many Americans, it was slow to load and had no bayonet, so it was not much used in the war. Carried by men from the wild frontier areas, like Western PA, it inspired some fear in British officers for its accuracy in long range sniping, but the war was won by the Americans adopting the European style of fighting and the muskets that went with it, not by frontiersmen with long rifles.

Jim
Old July 4, 2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Slamfire

Pedersoli makes high quality replicas of the Brown Bess and the Charleville Musket. These are made of better materials than the originals. Originals used wrought iron for virtually everything except for brass fittings, springs and frizzen. Modern muskets will at least be steel. And you can shoot one without worrying about some old seam in the barrel opening up.

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipo...rown-bess.html

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipo...arleville.html
Old July 5, 2012, 12:21 AM   #5
benogil

Jackson's Armory in Dallas would be a good starting place.