The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 2012, 01:53 PM   #1
TennJed

Lee 9mm die not depriming

I have only been reloading for about 1.5 years now. tonight I ran into a problem and was wondering if I could get some help.

After loading about 50 rounds of 9mm, the resizing/depriming die on my Lee 9mm die quit depriming. As far as I can tell it is still resizing correctly.

It is one of the lee 4 carbide dies. Looking at the instruction booklet, it seems that it might have been pushed up to protect it from breaking and I need to loosen the collet at the top. The pin does not seem to be sticking out as far on the die as my other calibers. I wanted to double check before I did anything.

do I just need to loosen the collet and have the pin fall out? How easy is it to put back and in the right position? What would be the most likely cause of this?
Old June 21, 2012, 02:14 PM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
do I just need to loosen the collet and have the pin fall out?
Yes.
Quote:
How easy is it to put back and in the right position?
Easy, it is a collet...it is self centering. If you are worried about it, leave it loose, put a case that has already been deprimed in the shell holder, and make sure the decapping pin is protruding through the flash hole before you tighten the collet-nut.
Quote:
What would be the most likely cause of this?
The Lee decaping rod/collet needs to be pretty tight to keep it from slipping.
Old June 21, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Marco Califo

Crimped primers can also cause this. I use a Lee universal depriming die first, then tumble the cases before resizing them. If they are crimped you will need to ream or swag them.
Old June 21, 2012, 02:49 PM   #4
marklyftogt

The top of the decapping pin should be even with the top of the die.
Use two wrenches to loosen and tighten the collet.

If you don't have a case all the way into the shell holder you can push the pin up. That is supposed to happen so you don't bend the pin.
Old June 21, 2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Scimmia

What in the world? You post this same question on another forum, get a bunch of replies, then post it here 12 hours later? Did you not read any of the other replies?
Old June 21, 2012, 07:42 PM   #6
jcwit

Just wondering who to believe!

Please note I only have 70 some posts here. I must be new.
Old June 21, 2012, 10:13 PM   #7
TennJed

Quote:
What in the world? You post this same question on another forum, get a bunch of replies, then post it here 12 hours later? Did you not read any of the other replies?
Same reason you read multiple forums. To get as many possible answers as I can. I have gotten many answers about how to fix it, but none seem to really help with what I might have done to cause the situation. Lots of people have pointed to berden primers as a likely cause, but this was not it.

If you actually read my post you would know I am seeking answers to that question as well. I have not been reloading my whole life and I am still learning. I would like to avoid this in the future if I can.

Why in the world would you reply to a thread without providing anything usefull? You are very good at pointing out simple things like being able to read and tell time (yeah!). Try being helpful. Or did your feelings get hurt because I did not personally thank you for your response in the other thread. I did a general thank you to all, but your respone was my personal favorite

And if you want to stalk me further I posted this question on the following forums.

The High Road
The Firing Line
MSgunowners
TNgunowners
KTOG

Do you think it is ok for me to post on gunowner sites for both Mississippi and Tennessee. I am awaiting your sure to be helpful response.
Old June 21, 2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Scimmia

Quote:
I am awaiting your sure to be helpful response.
I DID give you a helpful response on THR, and I'm kind of regretting it now. Honestly, this is a pretty basic question, so ignoring all of your answers one place and then posting it another is somewhat insulting to everyone that tried to help you over there. You ask for help, but can't be bothered to read the responses and fix the problem? I don't care one bit about being thanked, but being totally ignored and asking here AFTER you already have all of the information to fix the problem is ludicrous.
Old June 21, 2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenJed
Do you think it is ok for me to post on gunowner sites for both Mississippi and Tennessee. I am awaiting your sure to be helpful response.
Well, I quess it's ok with me, since both states have three paired letters in them, so you will be permitted.

Now, go find a city with similar spelling structure to Chattanooga, but make sure it is in ol' Miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia
I DID give you a helpful response on THR, and I'm kind of regretting it now. Honestly, this is a pretty basic question, so ignoring all of your answers one place and then posting it another is somewhat insulting to everyone that tried to help you over there. You ask for help, but can't be bothered to read the responses and fix the problem? I don't care one bit about being thanked, but being totally ignored and asking here AFTER you already have all of the information to fix the problem is ludicrous.
It is a little insulting that TennJed might appear to not trust the answers received on the other forum. Perhaps he lack confidence in his experience in reloading and ability to interpret the answers there (have you reviewed his posting history? I usually do before taking someone to task. For instance your posts are invariably knowledgeable, helpful and usually not thin-skinned.)

So, I will offer some unsolicited advice: Chill. Most of us are here to help and to give help. Sometimes feathers get ruffled and some have fewer social skills than others. PMs exist for a reason

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; June 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old June 21, 2012, 11:55 PM   #10
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia View Post
What's ludicrous is your post. I am not sure what your definition of ignoring is, but unfortunately it is not accurate. I clearly responded to the post in the thread AND thanked everyone for their help. Yet you feel the need to enter this thread and try to call me out.

Again I responded to some post there and thanked everyone. What more should I have done. Wrote personal responses? It is absurd that you are attempting to embarrass me for no reason.

Both boards are for general gun discussions. I see nothing wrong with seeking advise from both. Both board are filled with many helpful people, although some attention seekers like yourself try to police the activity when there is no need. Are you trying to relive your glory days as high school hall monitor.

Again I asked multiple questions. Posted the question on multiple sites and responded to the questions. I am honestly stunned that you were insulted. Try not to take the Internet so seriously

Lost Sheep I am inexperienced in reloading and I mentioned that in the OP. I am not ashamed of the fact that I am still learning. It might seem like a basic question to some, but the terminology sometimes is hard for me to pick up on and having more answers is always the best.

I hope I did not offend you and sorry for my rant, but I was a little taken aback at such a silly post as the question as to why post it twice. I am under impression that posting on one board does not keep you from posting on another.

I try to be civil and respectful and I truly love your post sheep. You are one I always look up to.

Also I am still a little unclear on what may have caused the pin to move up in the first place. There were no obstructions in the cases that I know of.

Last edited by TennJed; June 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old June 22, 2012, 12:16 AM   #11
Northrider

In some cases, for different problems, getting advice on more than one board is not a bad idea. For a lot of the problems we reloaders encounter, sometimes there is not just one answer.
Now, as to your pin not coming out all the way to remove the primer, I agree that your pin could have come loose and moved farther back up in the die. Loosen the nut on the top and run the pin back down to where it sticks out the bottom (a little ways) of a deprimed case. Then tighten the nut down. Sometimes I have to retighten mine after a few hundred rounds.

Just my $.10---inflation has made the .02 change.

Shoot Safe and Often
Old June 22, 2012, 12:18 AM   #12
Northrider

Oh yeah, what could make it come loose is if it was not really tight before and then encountered several really tight primers, that would have a tendency to push the pin back up into the die.

Forgive me if I repeated myself.
Old June 22, 2012, 01:26 AM   #13
TennJed

Thanks for all the responses. I think I can rule out berden primers and I visually inspect for obstructions, so chances are I did not have the case fully set in the shell holder or I hit some tight primers. I also thought about it and since I do not use the auto indexing function on my Lee Classic Turret, I auto index, I could have not had the case lined up fully and the pin hit the case itself.

Thanks again for all the help and sorry for the rant.
Old June 22, 2012, 02:31 PM   #14
dacaur

Quote:
so chances are I did not have the case fully set in the shell holder or I hit some tight primers. I also thought about it and since I do not use the auto indexing function on my Lee Classic Turret, I auto index, I could have not had the case lined up fully and the pin hit the case itself.
Its not possible for the decapping pit to hit the bottom of the case. If you have the case off center of the shell holder it will either stop dead as the sizer hits the case mouth, or the sizing die will center the case before the decapping pin gets to the bottom. Tight primers or an obstruction in the case are the only possible causes. The only time I ever had my pin move up was on a beridian primed case.... I have never had a problem with crimped cases, but I guess its possible your pin was just a little loose from the factory so a crimped primer caused it...

how easy was it to loosen the collet? It should have been pretty darn hard, and when you get it back in place flush with the top you want to tighten it as much as you possibly can. As long as you are just using standard wrenches, you cant hurt it getting it too tight. (dont take an impact gun to it....)
Old June 22, 2012, 02:44 PM   #15
TennJed

Good point, of course it is a sizing die also so the case will line itself up as it goes up. Obvious to me now. Thanks.

It was very hard to get off. I kept it on the press and had my wife hold the 3/4" wrench on the die while I loosened the collet. It took quite a bit of force. I did the same when retightening it.