The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 5, 2012, 08:16 AM   #26
JimPage

I haven't tried this, but a friend swears to me that peroxide cuts the sludge out perfectly. I would think you'd have to clean it all out after the sludge is gone.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old May 5, 2012, 09:55 AM   #27
mehavey

Good Lord....

On the 8th day (after resting) God made both the Tablespoon and Tygon tubing.

Put the tablespoon full of PineSol into a quart of water, and put the Tygon tubing over nipple
with the other end into the quart of PineSol/water.

Wet a tight-fitting patch over the cleaning rod jag and wet it thoughly in the PineSol/water.

Run the wet patch down the bore and watch all the air come out of the tubing in the PineSol/water

Pull the patch up, and with it the PineSol water solution into the bore

Scrub long strokes up and down drawing in and pushing out the PineSol water into the quart jar. Repeat as required to get white suds.

When clean -- about three wet patches -- dry patch out and preserve the bore with BreakFree or Weapon Shield.

Then relax and watch re-runs of Wagon Train w/ a very young Rowdy Yates
Old May 5, 2012, 02:54 PM   #28
flintlock.50

Quote:
how old is the gun? it is modern steel, and not iron?
It's a Goetz barrel from the mid 80s. It's got good steel.

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old May 5, 2012, 03:28 PM   #29
BDM 9MM

The four patch, five minute clean.

Hello the camp!!!

I purchased my first two muzzleloader rifles in 1976 (now own over 20) and have been shooting black powder rifles and pistols since. I hear many folks have problems both shooting and cleaning. There are as many patch and cleaning solutions out there in black powder land. Many work and many don't.

All my shooting is Match or Rendezvous (no waiting with a loaded gun). Therefore, this is not a hunting lube. Here is what has worked for me:

Patch Lube - 1 part WSO
1 part 91% Iso. Alcohol
6 parts water
Use a WET (not dripping) patch.
I can shoot all day (50 shots) without cleaning.
Caution - if you use speed blocks hanging around your neck the WSO can stain your shirt.

Cleaning - 1 part MOS
1 part 91% Iso. Alcohol
1 part Hoppe's #9
1 part water
Plug the nipple or touchole, pour 4" of cleaning solution into barrel, take a range rod with a barrel bushing (to protect the crown) and only a bare jag (no patch), agitate the rod about 30 quick strokes, empty the solution, refill the bore with solution, agitate 30 more strokes, empty solution, run a wet cleaning patch through the barrel 10 times, run a second wet cleaning patch through the barrel 10 times, run a dry patch up and down the bore several times, lube a patch with Ballistol, run down, flip over, run down, remove the nipple and clean with the cleaning solution, lube with Ballistol and replace, wipe down the outside with any good gun oil. This should not take you more than five minutes and four patches. I use 2 1/2" square pieces of old flannel bedsheets for cleaning patches.
Old May 5, 2012, 04:43 PM   #30
flintlock.50

OK, I'll be the first to ask. What are WSO and MSO? I'll take a guess. "WSO" is water soluble oil? No idea what "MSO" is.

Old May 5, 2012, 05:06 PM   #31
flintlock.50

I think I've got it. MOS is Murphy's Oil Soap, right?

Old May 5, 2012, 05:18 PM   #32
BDM 9MM

Sorry - I should have typed them out - but you win the quiz:

MOS - Murphy's Oil Soap (Old household cleaner)

WSO - Water Soluble Oil (Plumbers use to thread pipe)

Dan
Old May 18, 2012, 09:39 PM   #33
Bill Akins

One way to really scour out the barrel is to get yourself one of those copper chore boys. You know the ones that look like the plastic dishwashing pad only that are made of copper? Well either use some of that or even some coarse steel wool and tear some of that off and wrap it around a smaller caliber cleaning brush til it fits snuggly in your barrel. Then work it back and forth. If any of it comes off get it out with a "fishhook" type patch puller. That should scour most any kind of junk loose in your barrel. Then swab it out as normal.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".