The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 12, 2012, 08:43 PM   #1
strateshot

Best 1911 magazines

Can someone please tell me who has the best quality 8rd 45acp 1911 magazines. If it a choice between Wilson Combat or Ed Brown.

Thanks Fellas
Old May 12, 2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

Between those two---Wilson. Wilson ETMs and Chip Power Plus mags have been the best in my experience.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:25 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

My two favorite magazines are wilson combat 47ds and factory Colt stainless 8 round mags. I've never had any mag issues with either.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
MLeake

So far, I have used CheckMate, Wilson Combat, Tripp, and Chip McCormick.

For me, the Tripp Cobra mags have worked best, followed by the CMC PowerMag, followed by the Wilson, with the CheckMates having the most problems.

The Wilson's are very hard to seat in 8+1 mode in my Baer; the CheckMates consistently fail to hold the slide back when empty on my DW.

YMMV.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:20 PM   #5
BarryLee

I've had good luck with Chip McCormick power mags.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 13, 2012, 01:10 AM   #6
B. Lahey

Mec-Gar is my 8rd favorite.
Old May 13, 2012, 04:16 AM   #7
WoofersInc

I have always used Wilson Combat mags. I have a couple that have been in constant use/loaded for the last several years and still work fine.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:39 AM   #8
gunluver

I've had good luck with Wilson 47D's and Tripp cobra mags
Old May 13, 2012, 07:52 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Chip McCcormick mags are hard to beat both on price and reliability.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:40 AM   #10
DBLAction454

Wilson 47D
Old May 13, 2012, 10:15 AM   #11
MLeake

I just ordered some magazines from Wolff springs; they should arrive in the next few days. If so, I'll try to provide feedback on the Wolff mags next week.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:47 AM   #12
AZGlock13

If it is an alloy frame 1911, then I use Wilson mags. If it is a steel frame 1911, then I use CMC 8rd Powermags.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:58 AM   #13
WVsig

The best 1911 mags are the ones that work in YOUR 1911. I have Chip McCormick, Colt, Wilson, Tripp, Metalform, Dan Wesson, Checkmate, Novak, Les Baer in the mix. When I acquire a new 1911 I simply test it with the mags I have.

I have found that not all 1911s will run will all mags. Not all mags will run in every 1911. If I find one which is more particular I simply make a mental note and use only "good" mags for that particular 1911.

That said the majority of my 1911s run with any mag in the box... Most of the time when I buy new mags they are Chip McCormick, Checkmate or Metalform these days.

I am also a big fan of 11lb Wolff Springs.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Sarge

I've about switched entirely to the Chip McCormick PowerMag. They seem entirely as good as the old Metalforms I used for years and the CMC's are available everywhere. I prefer them over the others because the follower is steel and I don't think plastic followers working against a steel slide stop spell long-term reliability.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:37 PM   #15
OcSpeed

I've been happy with Wilson 47D's and variants there of, different floor plates etc...
I've ordered Tripp Cobra mags but they never got delivered, or responded to emails so I disputed it with my credit card company. Still don't know what the deal was.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:39 PM   #16
MLeake

My orders for Tripp have been direct to Tripp, and I've received the mags within just a few days of my orders.

Did you go direct, or buy from a middleman?
Old May 13, 2012, 01:06 PM   #17
scottl

Quote:
The best 1911 mags are the ones that work in YOUR 1911.
One big DITTO!

Honestly you don't need a $30 magazine for it to be reliable. I had 8 Wilson 47D's that ran fine in the Para LTC I had,but my Springfield Operator wouldn't. I sold the Wilson's at a loss and bought 10 Springfield Metalform's with my "Loaded" coupon at $10 each.Each one has been 100% reliable in my Springfield,a buddy's Colt, and his Nighthawk.
Old May 13, 2012, 01:14 PM   #18
Marquezj16

^^^^^^^agree^^^^^^^
When I first got into 1911s I was worried about the malfunctions caused by magazines. So far, my SA Milspec works great with the SA mags, the Sig runs well with the Sig mags and the Ruger runs well with the Ruger mags. I have used the SA mags with the Sig and it works fine. Same thing w/ using the Sig mags with the Ruger. Basically my manufacturer mags have been great and I have not bought any of the top line mags.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Hawg

Quote:
When I first got into 1911s I was worried about the malfunctions caused by magazines. So far, my SA Milspec works great with the SA mags, the Sig runs well with the Sig mags and the Ruger runs well with the Ruger mags. I have used the SA mags with the Sig and it works fine. Same thing w/ using the Sig mags with the Ruger. Basically my manufacturer mags have been great and I have not bought any of the top line mags.
Few manufacturers make their own mags. Currently Springfield uses Metalform and Sig and Ruger use Checkmate.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:12 PM   #20
MLeake

And Colt has two different magazine types, now.

IIRC, my CheckMates came with the Dan Wesson and a couple Wilsons came with my Baer.

Go figure...
Old May 13, 2012, 03:16 PM   #21
pdogkilr

I have an assortment, but if the OP's only choices are Ed Brown and Wilson ---- go with the Wilson. Proven reputation.

I have a couple of Wilson 8 Rounders, and my EB EE came with one 7 rounder. They both function. I would carry the Wilson over the Ed Brown.

Having said that, I have thirty CMC Power Mags. They are my personal choice for range use or carry.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:21 PM   #22
Technosavant

I tend to go with CMC Powermags. Their floorplates can damage feed ramps on aluminum frames without ramped barrels (a reason I prefer ramped barrels in lightweight 1911s), but with ramped barrels it's not an issue.

I've even retrofit some iffy mags of other makers with CMC springs/followers and that cured them of their feeding problems. IMO, their follower is a very nice thing to have if you're going for that extra round in the mag.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:25 PM   #23
triage1998

I like the Wilson 47D
Old May 13, 2012, 03:50 PM   #24
Skadoosh

Keep in mind that the feed lips are just as important to think about as the brand. Depending on what kind of ammo you intend on shooting, make sure you purchase the correct mag for your ammo:

Left: USGI-style fully-tapered feed lips.
Center: Colt-style hybrid feed lips.
Right: Parallel early-release "wadcutter" feed lips.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:19 PM   #25
Marquezj16

Quote:
Few manufacturers make their own mags. Currently Springfield uses Metalform and Sig and Ruger use Checkmate.
You're absolutely right. I should have said the mags that came with my 1911s.