The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 13, 2012, 04:11 PM   #1
chaz12

Pietta nipple wrench fits like a glove

I posted several days ago that I was going to give the RMC nipple wrench a try since the reported slot dimensions looked like a good fit for my Pietta 1860 army.

Got it the other day and tried it out. It fits like it was made for the Pietta. If you've got a Pietta 1860 army, this wrench will work for you. I assume it would also work on the Navys, but I don't have one so I have not tried it out for that. It's not real heavy duty steel, but it fits so well that I don't think it will get chewed up just after a few uses.

It was about 10 buck plus shipping. Worth it I think.

Chaz
Old April 14, 2012, 08:22 AM   #2
mykeal

It might work for someone who has an 1860 Army Pietta made in about the same time frame as yours and still has the OEM nipples.

Unfortunately, nipples are made by subcontractors, and about the only spec they follow is thread size. What that means is that the nipples on one Pietta 1860 Army may be quite different than the ones on another Pietta 1860 Army.

That said, I also have an RMC nipple wrench and it's an excellent wrench. It doesn't fit everything, but it works well on the nipples it does fit.
Old April 14, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3
arcticap

The RMC wrench has also worked well for me with Remington nipples and doesn't show any sign of wear and tear.
I'm glad that I have two because I can usually only find one of them at any given time.

Last edited by arcticap; April 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM.