The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2012, 01:33 AM   #26
Edward429451

4 Those who have never stuck a case personally, but have left the room for a cup of coffee, and well meaning noobs in attendance jump up to help as soon as you walk out and have a case stuck by the time you return.

This is the camp I am in.
Old April 6, 2012, 02:08 AM   #27
Jim243

Quote:
With .223 there are 3 camps.

1 Those who have stuck at least one case.
2 Those who eventualy stick one some how.
3 Those who LIE.

Count me in camp #3 (LOL).

I bought mine so long ago that I can't remember when, I think one week after started to reload 223 (LOL).

Jim
Old April 6, 2012, 08:48 PM   #28
jolly roger

For 55 grain FMJs I use the FCD and lightly crimp on the cannelure (crimping groove). 24.5 grains of H335 for a good plinking load. Varget powder for 69 grain Sierras. NO crimp on those. Vast majority of mine are 55 grain blasting ammo.
Old April 6, 2012, 08:50 PM   #29
jolly roger

Oh...and Dillon spray case lube. Never stuck one yet.
Old April 7, 2012, 09:20 PM   #30
rebs

what grain bullets work best with each rifling ? 1 in 7, 1 in 8, and 1 in 9 ?

I have read that Varget powder doesn't meater very well, why is that and is it true ?
Old April 7, 2012, 09:28 PM   #31
dacaur

Quote:
I have read that Varget powder doesn't meater very well, why is that and is it true ?
Thats the first time I have ever heard that.... It meters fine in my perfect powder measure....
Old April 9, 2012, 04:13 AM   #32
Tim R

Quote:
Varget is a stick powder. Stick powders do not measure well in powder throws but are well worth using in most applications. Ball powders generaly work better when used with a powder throw. Varget is a popular powder which works well in many different cartridges. Varget is one of those powders worth having on the shelf at home.

Quote:
what grain bullets work best with each rifling ? 1 in 7, 1 in 8, and 1 in 9 ?
I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in into the gear drive here a bit. I like a 1 in 7 but I shoot 77 and 80 gr. Match Kings out of service rifle. Here is what most will find as a rub.

Several years ago and more than I wish to remember, I got this wild idea of shooting a 223 service rifle at 1000 yards. The thinking then was you needed a 90 gr Burger VLD to get there. The thought was a 1 in 61/2 would work for the 90 gr bullet. So that is what I got. White Oak Precision had some left over 6 1/2's. So I had a upper built using one of the 6 1/2's to shoot the 09's with. Well I never shot any of the 90's I have but did shoot 77 and 80 gr. Match Kings. THis rifle shot these bullets really well.

As the upper wore, I got another WOP upper only this time with a 1 in 7 Kreiger. This ipper shoots 77 and 80 gr Match Kings very well. I was going to Camp Perry. Do you need another reason gor a new upper? So now I save the Kreiger barrel for full course matches which go out to 600 yards. The 6 1/2 barrel rifle became my second gun/loaner and reduced match rifle. Why waste the Kreiger on 1 or 200 yard reduced matches? So I use the 6 1/2 rifle. I don't waste the 77 and 80 gr SMK's on little short Range matches but I will use 52 or 53 gr SMK's The 6 1/2 will shoot these light weights very well and will post scores in the Master class.

I also know the 6 1/2 will stack Hornaday 55 gr V Max bullets up in a single hole at 100 yards. This is using 24.5 grs of Varget in a Lake City case and started with a Remington 7 1/2 primer sighted in with NM iron sights and sand bags.

So it's my opinion it's better to be a little faster on the twist, a 1 in 7 will shoot, how good will depend on the barrel. But if you are never ging to shoot a heavy bullet go with your 1 in 9.

By the way, it was found the 80 gr SMK will make it to 1K with a 1 in 7. The 6 1/2 has performed very well for me and I have a large number of rounds through it but when it comes time for a barrel, it will be a 1 in 7 Kreiger. The Kreiger does shoot a little better than the Pac Nor 6 1/2. Could be the lands on the well used 6 1/2 is .080 deeper than on a some what fresh 7 Kreiger.

Last edited by Tim R; April 9, 2012 at 05:04 AM.