The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2012, 07:33 PM   #26
jmorris

Quote:

If you want insane speed and cost isn't an object, get a 1050. Ponsness-Warren sells a motor for it that will completely automate reloading (except for putting bullets in case mouths.

They seldom break, but if they do, Dillon will fix or replace it for free--forever.
With a bullet feeder you don't even have to put bullets in the case mouth. Actually, if you don't have a bullet feeder you don't want the autodrive.

Also, the 1050 warranty is only a year.

They all work, I have a bunch of them but it comes down to how much money you want to spend and how much ammo you intend to load.
Old February 18, 2012, 10:46 PM   #27
Davey

Thealex,
Stay away from the Lee Loadmaster. I had one and it turned into a very unenjoyable experience. The auto indexer mechanism seems like it was an after thought. The powder charger chain would also slip a link or two and cause the ram to bounce at its lowest point.

I ended up packing it up and sending it back to Midway. Now I'm looking at a single stage Hornady.
Old February 18, 2012, 11:22 PM   #28
orionengnr

I still have an RCBS Rock Chucker, although I only use it once in a while.
I had a Hornady Pro7 for a while, but had too many problems with it.
Been a Dillon 550 guy for a while, and have no reason to change that.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:55 AM   #29
acb

if you want to go all out go dillon if want to still have a little money left to buy componets to load with check out rcbs pro 2000 I just bought one it is awsome i upgraded from lee its like going from bolonga to steak
Old February 19, 2012, 05:12 AM   #30
mumbo719

My 2 cents is:

Since you only want to load pistol go with a Dillon Square Deal B

If you may want to load rifle later and maintain complate control over the process it's hard to beat the the Dillon 550

I own the Honady LNL AP and would recommend it if you want to auto index, for pistol and rifle. Once you get past the tinkering and mods in the beginning the press rocks.
Old February 19, 2012, 04:47 PM   #31
Steviewonder1

I have a set of Twin Dillon SDB's. One was in Large Pistol and the other in Small Pistol. That started in 1992. Early on I figured out how easy it was to change out the Primer Assembly from Large to Small. The only issues I had were new springs for the powder assembly and the clamp assembly on the powder and expander die top to set expander depth. Both replaced with no issue or cost. Both are set up side by side with 2 feet between them and to the left is a RCBS DR-X to full length resize 40S&W. I am very flush with a large supply of 45ACP so both presses are set up for Small Pistol Primers. I also only reload Pistol and can do 250-300 per hour on the presses. I saw a video referenced here where the guy was cycling rounds thru his 45ACP to do a chamber check. I have a complete set of Chamber Check Dies for all my calibers I reload. Saves having to fiddle with a gun to make sure the rounds will chamber. I do Chamber Check all my ammo I shoot especially the "Social Type". I did start out on a single stage RCBS press.