The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2012, 12:27 AM   #1
gabs556

Picking up a G19 - concerned

Hi everyone,

I'm picking up a Gen 3 Glock 19 soon and I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about the bad extractor issue that I've been reading about. I won't find out the manufacturing date of the pistol till I get a hold of it so i can't check the number on the parts before buying it.

I'm also not sure how good the warranty will be here in our country so I'd like to follow up with another question regarding how easy it is to replace Glock parts (OEM or aftermarket) specifically the extractor... or if can be fixed by just filing something down etc...

Thanks!
Old February 2, 2012, 01:02 AM   #2
38superhero

Hi welcome to the forum... boy did you pick a doozy of a first post, i didnt know gen 3's had an extractor problem... thought gen 4's had some initial glitches... but your about to get an education on glocks.... lemme step aside... enjoy
Old February 2, 2012, 01:27 AM   #3
lesgeaux

I learned how to dismantle the Glock slide component via Google and Youtube. It is very easy to remove and change the extractor if need be so don't worry about that.
I too will be getting the same as you G19 of recent make and had read something about a issue. I will have to do more research, but for darn sure I will just shoot it as if I have not heard a thing.
Old February 2, 2012, 01:27 AM   #4
gabs556

Hahaha! I've just been reading that the latest Gen 3's also has the possibility of having that issue.
Old February 2, 2012, 01:28 AM   #5
gabs556

@lesgeux I'm planning on doing the same thing. Goodluck to my wallet!
Old February 2, 2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Mrgunsngear

SOME newly made Gen3 Glock 19s have had the same ejection issues the Gen4s had as well. That said, I really wouldn't worry about it. If you do get one that has an issue, just call Glock and they'll replace the part at $0 to you. They stand behind their products and will do whatever it takes to make you a fan boi too!

I have one of the early Gen4 19s with all the issues and Glock was great to deal with and it runs like a champ now.
Old February 2, 2012, 12:25 PM   #7
hogwiley

You need to understand that things get blown out of proportion on the internet. You may read 5 threads about someone who had extraction problems, and think wow, I guess thats a real problem with glocks, until you realize glock sold 20,000 guns last year(I just made up the number), then you realize its a tiny minority of people having problems, but it gets blown out of proportion on the internet.

Theres no doubt the gen 4s had extraction issues, I saw a jamomatic gen 4glock 19 with my own eyes, so I know the problem was real, however its a much smaller number of gen 3s that had problems, if there really was a problem at all. If there is a problem as others have pointed out, it should be a relatively easy fix.

Personally I think all the gun makers are churning out a crapload of guns these days and quality across the board has dropped. Gun ownership has risen dramatically in the last decade, and the gun manufacturers are trying to cash in, and quality has become less important than just churning em out quickly and cheaply.
Old February 2, 2012, 08:50 PM   #8
gabs556

Sounds logical to me. Thanks!
Old February 2, 2012, 08:59 PM   #9
AndersonG22

Are you sure you're talking about glock? I shot someones kimber 1911 a few days ago and it shot me in the head with brass.
Old February 2, 2012, 09:02 PM   #10
WVsig

% of problem guns is very small but if you think about 1% of 20,000 guns that is not a small number.

I have a newer Gen 3 with the "wrong" ejectors and it is 100%. If you want a 19 get one.

Last edited by WVsig; February 2, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old February 2, 2012, 09:29 PM   #11
triumph666

didnt know of any extractor issues....but if there is then glock will fix it free or cheap....and if you fix it the parts are cheap
Old February 2, 2012, 09:44 PM   #12
WVsig

It has to do with the ejectors marked 336 not the extractors.
Old February 3, 2012, 07:15 AM   #13
gabs556

I've been reading a bunch of mixed stuff already, from extractors, to springs to whatever.

I guess I'll just have to hope that I get a "perfect" unit regardless of what specific part numbers are in it.
Old February 3, 2012, 07:34 AM   #14
Mrgunsngear

Glock has also been replacing some of the extractors. Apparently they had a bad run of MIM parts for their 9mms (a few Gen3s, a few Gen4s) that had a bad angle on them. If you give Glock your serial #, they'll tell you if you have one of those and of course replace it for free.
Old February 3, 2012, 07:37 AM   #15
loose_holster_dan

just a heads up - even if you have extraction issues, it may not be the extractor. the first time i took my g19 out, every mag had a failure to extract. i was angry to put it mildly, so i loaded up the mags with hollow points and stuck it in my safe. a few months later, i pulled it out to give it another shot. i threw in some cheap ammo, and let her rip. went through 200 rounds without a hiccup. the only thing i can think of is that the mag spring was too strong and was overpowering the extractor. sitting compressed in my safe for a few months compressed it enough to fix the problem.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."

Tags
9mm , gen 3 , glock , glock 19 , glock extractor