The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 30, 2012, 07:14 PM   #1
4T4MAG

Barrel Makers

After attending the Shot Show and visiting with several barrel makers as well as rifle makers, who makes the barrels for McMillian and Barrett?

It seems there are very few gun manufacturers that actually make all their own parts. I guess if you can sell a rifle for 10k with you name on it who cares who made what and what level of quality went in to it.
Old January 30, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

barrels

Sir;
Try Douglas barrels in Charlestn W. Va.
Harry B.
Old January 31, 2012, 04:55 PM   #3
TXJohn

I agree with Mr. Bonar, I have several Douglas Barrels and all have shot very well.
Old January 31, 2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Scorch

My current preferences for entry-level premium barrels run:
McGowen
Douglas
Shilen

For top-end premium:
Lilja
Krieger
Hart

But there are lots of others.

And expecting any gunmaker to make all of their components from A to Z is probably unrealistic.
Old January 31, 2012, 06:58 PM   #5
5RWill

I'm pretty positive McMillian makes their own barrels not sure about Barret. Gale McMillian has had several records set using his barrels when he was making barrels IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accurateshooter
Gale McMillan, of McMillan Stocks fame, was one of the finest barrel-makers and benchrest shooters of all time. Here he argues that elaborate barrel break-in procedures do more harm than good.
http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html

It's hard to go wrong with any good custom barrel these days. I personally prefer Bartlein, just because GAP uses them, i like their contours (GAP #7), and they aren't overly expensive not that others are. But usually Kriegers are around 400$ around here and 350$ or so on the net. Krieger doesn't carry a M40/M24 contour either unless they've updated their site and i haven't noticed. The GAP #7 is really to my liking just slightly smaller than the M40/M24.

Brux
Broughton
Krieger
Shilen
Bartlein
Schneider
Hart
Douglas
Lilja
Pac-Nor
Old February 1, 2012, 12:18 PM   #6
johnbt

"It seems there are very few gun manufacturers that actually make all their own parts."

It's too expensive to set up to mass produce quantities large enough to make it economical.

I'm aware of one gunmaker who advertises he makes all of the parts in house, but they make shotguns and only produce 2 or 3 dozen a year.

Depending on the level of engraving, you're probably looking at $200,000 and up.

www.fabbri.com/#/about_us

" Every single part of the shotgun is designed and produced in house, from the smallest screw to the barrels, actions and everything else"

Check out the slide show of clients: King Juan Carlos, Steven Spielberg, Tom Selleck, etc. I like the caption under the pic of Spielberg's Jurassic Park shotgun - "...one of his..."
Old February 1, 2012, 02:51 PM   #7
oneounceload

Fabbri's equipment, including the CNC and CAD/CAM investments are, from what I was told by a writer who visited, around $10,000,000 - When you only make a few dozen guns a year, the per unit amortization gets high............but those guns are strong.

I also believe Verney-Carron in France makes barrels for folks, if it isn't Manufrance, and that includes some of the British "Best" names - both rifles and shotguns