The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 18, 2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: December 5, 2009
Location: French, currently living in US
Posts: 130
Auto Ordnance + short barrel question....

Hello - I recently saw this ad.....I've been wanting one for some time.

I do re-enactments occassionally, and I see other re-enactors carry these, with the long barrel which naturally looks very wrong.

A friend of mine stated that it was possible to put on a correct GI barrel with the proper $200 tax and papers, and still keep it semi-auto. (The barrel would have to be tapped of course to cycle blanks.) Is this true? Can I get one of these, and have a proper barrel installed by paying this special fee......all while not needing a class III and having it remain a semi-auto?

Any advice is helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by Famas; January 18, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
Famas is offline  
Old January 19, 2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: May 16, 2008
Posts: 9,604
Depends on what state you are in and you can't cross state lines with an NFA item without getting ATFE permission first.

I could do it in Ohio.
$0 of an NRA membership goes to legislative action or court battles. Not a dime. Only money contributed to the NRA-ILA or NRA-PVF. Second Amendment Foundation is a solid alternative.
First Shotgun Thread First Rifle Thread First Pistol Thread
johnwilliamson062 is offline  
Old January 19, 2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: December 5, 2009
Location: French, currently living in US
Posts: 130
I live in Indiana. I should have mentioned that, my apologies.
Famas is offline  
Old January 19, 2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: March 20, 2008
Posts: 442
Class three is the category of taxation for the dealer. NO short rifle, shotgun, silencer, full auto, destructive device, etc., needs a "class three permit" to get. You pay a one-time $200 tax to receive a stamp on a paper form. The stamp and form is proof you're legal for that item on the form, whether it be a short barreled rifle or whatnot. Each NFA item needs its own stamp.

SBRs are allowed in IN, so far as I know.

The process is simple. Fill out a "form 1" (5320.1, found here in duplicate, fill out a 5330.20 (, get the form 1 signed by the CLEO, get fingerprints taken, send the forms, fingerprint card, and a $200 check to the address on the form 1. Wait a few months, and you'll get one of the form 1 copies back, with a $200 NFA stamp (canceled of course) affixed. At that point, the firearm must be marked with the indicated data from the form (you can do this prior to receiving the form back, of course - engraving can take a bit of a wait depending on the engraver), and then you can have the short barrel installed.

It's just a waiting game, but it's much easier than most people think.

Some great reading: <- this has a selection of examples and descriptions to help understand what's called what in the NFA world.
PTK is offline  
Old January 19, 2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Willie Lowman
Senior Member
Join Date: March 5, 2009
Location: Uh-Hi-O
Posts: 2,590
Or you could find a dealer and have one of these transferred to you
"9mm has a very long history of being a pointy little bullet moving quickly" --Sevens
Willie Lowman is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.08053 seconds with 9 queries