The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2001, 12:46 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

Ok, I've loaded plenty of trap loads, but now I'd like to get into the real cost savings-buckshot and slugs. I have no experience with the cork or felt over powder filler wads that most manuals list as necessary for slug and buck loads. Does anyone make a tool for cutting your own overpowder wads? Does anyone modify standard plastic trap wads for use with buck and slugs (i.e. cutting off the wad fingers for higher capacity).
thanks for any suggestions or help on loading slugs or buck!
Old February 14, 2001, 01:36 PM   #2
MFH

There are slug molds available for use with a standard shot cup. Also data for buck in a standard cup. I have seen wad punches advertised, but I havn't been able to find it yet.

MFH
Old February 14, 2001, 02:10 PM   #3
Intel6

Both the Lyman and Lee slug molds produce a slug that is meant to be reloaded using a regular plastic wad and 8 point folded crimp. You can also load buck in a regular wad using a regular crimp.
Old February 14, 2001, 07:34 PM   #4
handgunhunting

Poodleshooter If you need some slugs for a 12 ga. 1 oz. e mail me at [email protected] we can work something out.
Old February 14, 2001, 11:32 PM   #5
dick w. holliday

slugs

i think the day after i ordered my old style slug mold, lyman came out with the new one which makes a sabot looking slug. got my old style mold and made some-tried to load them using AA wads with pedals cut off (Wrong) couldn't keep them on target at 25 yards. melted them down and gave up on slug idea-----later someone told me of a buddy that had the new sabot mold---got 5 slugs from him--loaded in AA wad and shot 2 at 25 yards---holes were touching each other---shot third shot at 25 yards and although was nottouching the first 2 shots , it was damn close--went over to sillouette range and shot ram at 100 yards--Busted his ass with first shot--second shot was a miss but damn close--shooting done with Remington 1100 w/28"vent rib barrel. these things are the stuff!!!Dick
Old February 15, 2001, 09:19 AM   #6
Rottweiler

I have the same Lyman sabot slug mold mentioned above. Shooting these out of a Rem 870 with a 26" heavy weight Hastings rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount. At 75 yards it will put 5 shots in a 4 inch circle. For a shotgun that's almost varmint accuracy
Old February 15, 2001, 11:36 AM   #7
Poodleshooter

Cool. Thanks for the tips. I was under the impression that all of the slug and buck loads needed those expensive cork or felt overpowder wads. I'd rather stick to the same wads I'm using now (WAA12, Fed 12S3's and WAA12R's).I've only got limited slug loading data (Modern Shotgun Reloading). Anyone have any loads for Buck or slugs using Blue Dot?
thanks guys!
Old February 15, 2001, 11:44 AM   #8
handgunhunting

poodleshooter,
Almost any load that will work for a 1 oz shot charge should work for a 1 oz slug. I use a lee 1 0z 12 ga. mold I need to do some work with the loads to see what it can do
Old February 15, 2001, 05:20 PM   #9
Rottweiler

Shot and slug loads are NOT interchangeable because a 1oz. slug will not take up the same amount of space as 1oz. of shot. Also there is some movement of the shot inside the shot cup of the wad (think of it like it "sloshes back"or the individual pellets squish or deform a little)at the start of the powder burning, right about the same time the legs of the wad start to collapse.All that helps to keep the pressure down. A slug is a solid piece of lead that won't allow any of that to happen thus allowing pressures to go through the roof.

Old February 15, 2001, 05:33 PM   #10
Rottweiler

Poodleshooter,

Here's the load that my 870 loves:

Win AA hull
44.0 gr Blue Dot
Win 209 primer
Win WAA12R wad
Lyman Sabot Slug (which weighs in at 525.0 gr or 1.2oz.)

Velocity = 1521fps published Velocity = 1474
Published Pressure 9200 PSI
My velocity is probably higher because of a longer barrel than the test barrel. Mine's 26" theirs probably 18-20"

Old February 15, 2001, 05:39 PM   #11
Rottweiler

If that load doesn't perform well for you contact me off list I'll sent you some more, I have lotsa manuals. one of them might shoot better
Old February 16, 2001, 01:18 PM   #12
Poodleshooter

You guys ROCK!! Thanks. I'd love to hear some experiences with various cast slugs as well. I already cast for muzzleloaders, so cast slugs for shotgun seems like a great idea. I'm torn between the Lyman sabot mold and the Lee "drive key slug" mold. Any mroe opinions? You do use pure lead as in muzzleloader,correct? Or is the 92%,6%,2% alloy?
Old February 16, 2001, 03:07 PM   #13
Intel6

Lyman vs. Lee Slug moulds

I have only used the Lyman but a buddy who has both says that the Lee mould has given him some problems while the Lyman has be great. It revolves around the base plug that makes the cavity in the back of them. The Lyman is a sperate piece from the mould while the Lee is attached to the hinge of the mould which can casue problems with getting the slug out of the mould.
Old February 17, 2001, 07:07 AM   #14
Rottweiler

I have also had both of those molds. I agree the Lee moldis harder to get the slugs to drop out,even with smoking the molds and using "drop out". The Lyman sabot mold drops them out like they were meant to. As a bonus (for me) the sabot slugs are FAR more accurate than the Lees. Unfotunately this may not apply to everybodys gun.