The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 29, 2011, 01:32 PM   #1
munky

Gun safe humidity

Just had a question for the pros out there. I picked up a Cannon Safari safe and put it in my house in a location that is temperature regulated. Do I need to put a dehumidifier in it? The reason I ask is because I stored my Kimber in the factory box for just a few days and noticed rust on the barrel. None of my other firearms show rust, however.

So what do you folks do? Measure the temp / humidity in the safe? Put a dehumidifier in anyway? I'm also a little hesitant to drill a hole at the top for a Goldenrod, but I do hear it does the job best.

Thoughts / comments are appreciated as always. Thanks!
Old November 29, 2011, 01:52 PM   #2
m.p.driver

My safe is in the basement that is temperature regulated and i put a can of desiccant in it.Three years later and no rust on anything and i haven't had to pop the can in the oven yet.
Old November 29, 2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Adirondack

I agree with driver, just use some desiccant packs. I've been using the closet desiccant packs in by safe for 4 years now and never had any rust; they cost around 5 bucks at Walmart. It's easy to know when to change them too because the desiccant becomes all liquid. Also, what's nice about desiccant that already has some liquid in it is the reaction can reverse itself to keep the humidity level right around a perfect 50% until they become fully saturated.
Old November 29, 2011, 09:49 PM   #4
BillCA

Controlling humidity is a good idea. But you needed spend a lot of money.

Instead of plumbing wiring for a goldenrod unit, go ahead and pull a power cord into the safe and install a 25W incandescent bulb instead. Generally speaking it will do the same job and provide you a source of light too. If you're clever, you can set it up on a timer to regulate the safe's temperature.

I prefer using VCI products. My handguns are stored in silicone impregnated Bore Stores along with a cardboard VCI chip (from Van Patten Industries) Other products of theirs protect the long guns just fine.

When using a safe remember that if the safe temperature is much higher or lower than the ambient room temperature, condensation can form. Especially when the cool contents of a safe are exposed to warm, humid air. The moisture condenses on the cool metal surfaces.
Old November 29, 2011, 10:59 PM   #5
ZEBRARANGER

I monitor the temp & humidity level in the safe with one of these monitors, about the size of a credit card. Its really the only way to know whats going on in there. I also use the rechargeable dehumidifiers that need to be recharged every month or so. On top of that I also use the Bullfrog VPCI Rustbolcker Shield for the safe. I've never had a problem with rust or humidity.
Old November 30, 2011, 02:41 PM   #6
saands

Covered a couple of weeks ago here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467986

Bottom line is that there are advantages to adding a bit of heat, which is what a Goldenrod does. IMHO, 25W is overkill and will just cost more in electricity. 8-12 watts is plenty for the average full sized (20 rifle) safe. Having your safe too cold can cause condensation and corrosion, but too warm? I just don't see the mechanism ... unless we are talking hundreds of degrees too warm Also, adding heat prevents corrosion without totally drying the air ... being too dry might be rough on your wood. Just a thought.

While a light source is nice, they do burn out on occasion and they can be broken if a heavy object hits them. Also, Goldenrod recommends that the heat source be located at the bottom of the safe (to allow for convective currents to be produced) and this placement makes the light a little less useful. Come to think of it, maybe that is why BillCA uses a 25W.

For the $20, I just went with the 12W Goldenrod and called it a day ... no corrosion in over 10 years ... even in the uncontrolled atmosphere of the basement.

Saands
Old December 2, 2011, 10:51 PM   #7
FireForged

The humidity in my home never gets above 46% and I have never had any issues with the firearms inside my safe.
Old December 13, 2011, 09:26 PM   #8
gofast1320

Goldenrod

My liberty safe is in the garage and has been for 15 years. The goldenrod has done its job just fine. No rust.
Old December 21, 2011, 07:28 PM   #9
one more shot

Goldenrod

I've had a Goldenrod for over ten years now and it still works and No Rust. I think they work well and wish all safes came with an interior plug. It would make things so much simpler?
Old December 22, 2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Te Anau

Unless you live in Arizona,I wouldnt count on dessicants to protect my guns.Put a Dri-rod or Goldenrod in and be sure.